UK riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

UK riding

bigpoppa

Curious for the people who have done it, whats riding like in the UK?

Specifically curious about wales, and scotland. On the map it looks really good, is it like the Appalachians?

Not on a bike but a car in Scotland on a few visits, all over the highlands. Amazing!!.
Takes me a couple of days to get used to driving on the left. Then It's all good.
Highlights would be Glen Coe and Isle Of Skye.
Bucket list trip on two wheels.

You can string together a great ride from Wales to Scotland via the Yorkshire Dales and the Pennines/Lake District. Any riding in the cities will be a pain.

You’ll see a lot of castles in Wales if you plan things right.

If you’re off the beaten track there’s a fair few paved roads that have passing points (basically single lane) that are also usually national speed limit (70mph/112kmh) that keeps things interesting. Some great roads are Hardknot Pass (Pennines) and Snake Pass (Dales). Coastal and mountain welsh roads. There’s so many speed cameras on the highways now so watch out for those. Happily most people will keep the passing lane for actual passing on the motorways (highways) but they are still pretty congested at times. You can filter and most people are aware of bikers as there’s tons of couriers but still be careful. My brother got a door prize doing this on a slow moving highway.

For Wales I know more about North Wales and Anglesea than South Wales but all of it is pretty. The cities are suffering from a bit of a crime wave right now though. Disaffected youth, which has always been an issue in Swansea and Cardiff. I’m also more familiar with the North West than the North East of England that’s why I mentioned the itinery before. That general route would follow all the main mountain and higher elevation ranges in Northern England to Scotland. Include Snowdonia in Wales and it would be a great trip.

The good news is that things aren’t that far from each other. Eg. Liverpool to Manchester is about an hour and Manchester to Sheffield about the same and that’s the three big Northern cities that you’ll probably be near if you plan on travelling from Wales to the Dales to the Pennines to Scotland as you move across from Wales to central/northern England.

Last edited:
..and better food.
You’d think after being civilized for more than a thousand years, the Brits would have figured out some decent cuisine.

You’d think after being civilized for more than a thousand years, the Brits would have figured out some decent cuisine.
Mushy peas not your thing?

Disgusting creation. Normal peas are bad enough, why turn them into a green drywall compound?
I married a Scot. Had the peas once at inlaws. Never again.

I married a Scot. Had the peas once at inlaws. Never again.
Not just peas, Brits can make anything mushy.

If it wasn’t for Indian and middle Eastern chefs that appeared 30 years ago, the Brit’s would still be blandest cuisine on earth.

Back
Top Bottom