Transition Visors | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transition Visors

hmmm really!?

i was okay with how dark it was. as soon as i dont have to squint im happy

Yup. You can see clearly how my "dark smoke" visor is significantly darker than their Bell Transition visors. It's probably one of the most common review comments about photochromic visors. Simply put they don't get all that dark compared to your typical "dark smoke" visor. They are more like a "light smoke" visor. If you're ok with that, great, you'll love a photochromic visor. But a lot of people find "light smoke" and photochromics at their darkest, not dark enough.

First review on Revzilla for the Bell visor:

"It's not going to get as dark as a standard tinted shield, but I feel like it's a good compromise if you don't want to keep a clear one with you."

And their ability to get darker fades over time, and there is a noticeable decrease in darkening capability eventually.

I have the rf-1200, was told multiple times that it's a quiet helmet..... It's not. It's like my ears have their own personal wind tunnel.
Shoeis are not quiet helmets. At all, anyone that thinks they are has lots their hearing

Yup. You can see clearly how my "dark smoke" visor is significantly darker than their Bell Transition visors. It's probably one of the most common review comments about photochromic visors. Simply put they don't get all that dark compared to your typical "dark smoke" visor. They are more like a "light smoke" visor. If you're ok with that, great, you'll love a photochromic visor. But a lot of people find "light smoke" and photochromics at their darkest, not dark enough.

First review on Revzilla for the Bell visor:

"It's not going to get as dark as a standard tinted shield, but I feel like it's a good compromise if you don't want to keep a clear one with you."

And their ability to get darker fades over time, and there is a noticeable decrease in darkening capability eventually.
its good to know.

but im the type of guy who doesnt really use shades in the first place because my eyes are "okay" with it.
but getting exposes to prolonged glare after a long day of work can get tiring mentally so that's why i want the tint. but i guess i should try my buddy's lid with tinted visor to see the difference :)

I have two buddies with the Qualifier DLX. They love the transition visor. However, they both agree, it does not get dark enough and often wish it got darker. I hear similar complaints about other photochromic visors. They tend to only get as dark as a "light" smoke visor, and not as dark as a "dark" smoke visor. If you're ok with that, a transition visor is great.

13321737_10153795703959403_8066663086978520131_n.jpg

I'd say that's A LOT darker than a "light" smoke...

IMO it gets 90-95% as dark as a regular dark smoke visor. Main point of reference is the dark smoke Pinlock insert on my AGV lid.

hmmm really!?

i was okay with how dark it was. as soon as i dont have to squint im happy

I can agree with this. Sunlight does not bother me, just want to cut down on glare etc..

Since we're talking about shading, the Transitions also has a bit of a rosey tint to it. It's more noticeable looking from the inside out. From the outside it just looks like a dark smoke to everyone else.

Is that picture taken on a really sunny day and is the light shinning straight down on the visors? Mine gets a lot darker than what you have on the picture

It was in a review by motorcyclistonline.com. They purposely covered half the visor to show the effect after leaving it in bright direct sunlight.

It looks darker in a picture of someone wearing the helmet because it's on the helmet, and your face is blocking light from the back side of the visor. That is side by side with a Shoei smoke visor. What else can I say?

Here is Revzilla comparing the Bell "dark" tint, vs the Transition from Bell, vs a visor for Lazer brand of helmets. The Transition still isn't as dark as the standard dark tint.

http://www.revzilla.com/blog_content_image/image/9044/20140606Transitions20sec.jpg

Close enough for me, please don't forget as the OP I already stated I use a tinted visor and will continue to use that visor & helmet for short day runs, the trasitions is really just in case I am out longer.

Close enough for me, please don't forget as the OP I already stated I use a tinted visor and will continue to use that visor & helmet for short day runs, the trasitions is really just in case I am out longer.

Ya, I definitely think there is a time and place for Transition lens. But to say they get as dark as a "dark" or "dark smoke" visor from the same company for the same helmet is not true.

Ya, I definitely think there is a time and place for Transition lens. But to say they get as dark as a "dark" or "dark smoke" visor from the same company for the same helmet is not true.

Dude you posted some random bs picture of visors on the ground...I put one up of the visor in real world conditions. The darkness depends on the intensity of UV and whether its overcast or not. As you can see in my pic on a bright sunny day you can't see my face at all. That's more than dark enough I'd say.

In real world conditions when the hell will you ever not have it on your helmet allowing for light to pass through the back??

Last edited:

Where was that said and does it really matter. Everyone's eyes are different. I'm not here to debate how close (dark) a transision lense is compared to a tinted lense. I posted this to get feedback from people who own them.

Not as dark is good feedback, we get it..

It was in a review by motorcyclistonline.com. They purposely covered half the visor to show the effect after leaving it in bright direct sunlight.

It looks darker in a picture of someone wearing the helmet because it's on the helmet, and your face is blocking light from the back side of the visor. That is side by side with a Shoei smoke visor. What else can I say?
Well, if it is an over casted day, then the comparison is not apples to apples as the transition hasn't reached maximum darkness, hence my question.

Not sure else else.... to say

I got the shoei one. Love it. They say it loses its tint % over time; but I havent noticed anything yet.
Model CWR-1 paid $220
Fits helmet RF-1200 $680
not sure prices now but thats what I paid a year ago.

on an overcast day it tints to just the right amount; you kind of just always never have to squint. ( It doesn't get as dark as the darkest visors out there)

Dude you posted some random bs picture of visors on the ground...I put one up of the visor in real world conditions. The darkness depends on the intensity of UV and whether its overcast or not. As you can see in my pic on a bright sunny day you can't see my face at all. That's more than dark enough I'd say.

In real world conditions when the hell will you ever not have it on your helmet allowing for light to pass through the back??

Well, dude, it's not just "some random bs picture". It is a relatively well known motorcycle based website that did a review. Are you thus accusing them of trying to make the transition visor look bad? Because I didn't take the picture.

I'm also saying the visor merely looks lighter in my comparison picture because it's not on a helmet. Yes both the "smoke" and the transition visor will look darker on a helmet. You entirely missed my point. And that is, a transition visor cannot and does not get as dark as your standard "dark"/"smoke" visors. If that's dark enough for you, fantastic. But I have now provided pictures from motorcyclistonline.com and revzilla.com that both show and mention that the transition visor does not get as dark as the comparable dark or smoke visor. And their ability to get dark decreases over time, so a season later, it doesn't get as dark as it did when new. There are many reviews attesting to this on Revzila, and Youtube.

So what's your point? It's dark enough for you? Like I said fantastic. I like transition visors too. But it is simply not as dark, and for some people that matters, and that's why this comment that they don't get dark enough, and their ability to get dark decreases over time, show up on a lot of transition visor reviews. Don't believe me, check revzilla? Do you think I posted all of those comments?

Where was that said and does it really matter. Everyone's eyes are different. I'm not here to debate how close (dark) a transision lense is compared to a tinted lense. I posted this to get feedback from people who own them.

Not as dark is good feedback, we get it..

You get it. I'm responding to people that are saying the pictures from online reviews from sites like revzilla and motorcyclistonline are some how produced by myself or in some way deceptive and prejudiced against transition visors. Those are their reviews. What would they have to gain in making transition visors look bad in a comparison?

Back
Top Bottom