Trailering motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailering motorcycle

ungoloth

Site Supporter
I have completed setting up a trailer this spring solely (this time of year anyway) for fairly local motorcycle adventures.
It's now fast and easy to load, secure and unload the bike as required. I permanently installed a wheel chock and 6 tie-down points.
I have trailered my bike up to Hwy 507 a few times this year now and find it better than slabbing it up there on my crotch rocket. I can have a coffee, listen to tunes and relax there and back in my car while saving the best for the bike and keeping miles off it and saving my sticky tires from chicken strips etc.
I would like to do the same for a few Muskoka runs this year but I'm worried about leaving my car and trailer in harms way or perhaps towed away from say a Walmart parking lot. I'm thinking a boat launch parking lot might be ok but perhaps there are better options?
Please advise if you have a better idea.
Happy Apexes.

How far are you trailering to get to the 507? Even on a sport bike that’s not that long of a day, there and back.
My opinion is that bikes are for riding. Try the B roads to stay off the highways and enjoy getting there, not just being there.

Walmart lots are just fine for day use and nobody will bat an eye.

But, myself, I'd ride.

Is your seat horridly uncomfortable or something? Might be a good idea to just address that issue so you can enjoy riding more. Unless I was hauling a non street legal track bike I can't imagine wanting to trailer a bike anywhere in Ontario for a day ride.

But, myself, I'd ride.

Is your seat horridly uncomfortable or something? Might be a good idea to just address that issue so you can enjoy riding more. Unless I was hauling a non street legal track bike I can't imagine wanting to trailer a bike anywhere in Ontario for a day ride.
Taking my car into the shop that's 30 km away.

Going to trailer the bike, as I have to leave the car there all day, and you're not allowed to stay on the premises, most sit down places are closed, and I don't want to hang around that area for that long.

With the trailer, I can drop the car off, hop on the bike, and go for a day trip, or even home for that matter.
Ride back, and do the reverse when I get the call.

How far are you trailering to get to the 507? Even on a sport bike that’s not that long of a day, there and back.
My opinion is that bikes are for riding. Try the B roads to stay off the highways and enjoy getting there, not just being there.
The 507 is just the beginning. I usually end up in Barry's bay or beyond. Taking on Letterkenny rd, Old Barry's bay rd etc is great riding and easily takes up the whole day. By the time I return to Buckhorn area I'm done. Trailering the last leg home is comfortable and usually in the dark or dusk. It works for me as I said it's easy to load... and I like my Timmies and a comfy seat for awhile. I believe it's just a litle safer at that point to drive.

But, myself, I'd ride.

I had a traumatic crash last year (after 38 years of riding) and busted up my pelvis. That's not the real reason for trailering just part of it. In reality I'm just beat after 8-12 hour ride and would rather not ride the boring straight roads of southern Ontario.

Campsite.
Then you have a 100% legal address and potential secured facilities for the night.
often far safer then a hotel motel parking lot.

... wait, are you doing this just to ride for the day?
holy that's a lot of effort, but I guess if you can get 4 or 5 hours in (y)

Read up about RV'ers staying in Walmart parking lots. We used to do it ourselves on occasion when we were travelling coast to coast.

Trust me, nobody will care about a car and motorcycle trailer in the lot for a day. Just park out in the back 40, not right up in the main area.

Read up about RV'ers staying in Walmart parking lots. We used to do it ourselves on occasion when we were travelling coast to coast.

Trust me, nobody will care about a car and motorcycle trailer in the lot for a day. Just park out in the back 40, not right up in the main area.
I received a $90 city ticket parking in an empty Home Depot lot for a couple of hours once. I had store receipts, but it wasn't worth my time to fight it.
Now I shop at Rona/Lowe's.

I received a $90 city ticket parking in an empty Home Depot lot for a couple of hours once. I had store receipts, but it wasn't worth my time to fight it.

Indeed, that's a great way to piss off your customers and have them go elsewhere.

Boo. That sucks.

If I'm temporarily ditching a vehicle in a parking lot, I put it as far from the store as possible while still being near customer cars. If you park all the way at the back, your vehicle stands out. If your vehicle is mingling with the hoard, it will get very little attention until.after the store closes.

Boo. That sucks.

If I'm temporarily ditching a vehicle in a parking lot, I put it as far from the store as possible while still being near customer cars. If you park all the way at the back, your vehicle stands out. If your vehicle is mingling with the hoard, it will get very little attention until.after the store closes.

With a trailer you'll get lots of scowls (and potentially door dings) by taking up 2 spots in the "prime" area, and if your trailer is wide people will have lots of 4 letter words flashing through their heads trying to get in and out of their cars parked in the 2 spots either side of the the trailer. ;)

The other VERY important thing to remember when parking in a busy lot with a trailer is....can you physically get out once you're surrounded by cars. Many tractor trailer newbies have learned the hard way that that big empty car parking lot you pulled into a 2AM and crawled into the bunk for a few hours sleep suddenly looks very different at 9AM when you wake up.

IMHO the biggest issue / risk with getting a ticket is being seen walking away from the car/trailer vs coming into the store, not necessarily where you park. Even then, it has to be one heck of a busybody seeing you to reactively call in the city to issue a ticket since the city doesn't normally proactively do anything with private lots.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone.
I think I'll risk Walmart, park near the back in pull-thru parking spaces, make a peace offering purchase, unload and ride the Muskokas until I've had enough. Load up and head back home...(with a Timmies and Listen to Dire Straights).
Happy Apexes.

I've done this with my van, and I'll probably do it again a few times this summer although probably not until after restaurants start opening their outdoor patios and washrooms. Even if the jumping-off point is Orillia, or Belleville, or Bancroft - it cuts out two or three hours of drudgery at both ends of the day - the straight-line roads - and it makes the day much more enjoyable.

Look for plazas of businesses that are only open during weekdays.

Back
Top Bottom