Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto should crack down on loud motorcycles: Editorial

Yeah, that will work wonders to convince the councillors that motorcycle noise restrictions are not necessary.

Some riders really are their own worst enemies. Rebels without a clue.

I'm not serious lol

I'm actually against loud noise without power gain; I think it's completely ****ing stupid if it's loud and serves no other purpose than to be loud (nearly all cruisers). On the flip side, if induced noise reduction leads to power loss, then we have a problem (almost all stock SS bikes).

But somehow no one is cracking down on the asian lady with her infant in the back having a huge argument with her phone while driving 80 on the passing lane of the 401.

油井緋色;2289262 said:
I'm not serious lol

I'm actually against loud noise without power gain; I think it's completely ****ing stupid if it's loud and serves no other purpose than to be loud (nearly all cruisers). On the flip side, if induced noise reduction leads to power loss, then we have a problem (almost all stock SS bikes).

Even if it results in power loss, how will that be a problem for a typical SS bike? They have a gross surplus of power as it is for normal street riding.

Even if it results in power loss, how will that be a problem for a typical SS bike? They have a gross surplus of power as it is for normal street riding.
No they don't, they are dogs between 2 and 8 x1000 RPM. Sp unless you are always high on the RPM band your power to get out of the way from an incoming car is lacking for those crucial couple of seconds after your brain goes oh ****

hahaha, this is obviously a joke. So they want to tell the harley davidson riders to get an aftermarket exhaust to silence the stock exhaust? Harley's stock are loud as ****. Good luck Ontario.

No they don't, they are dogs between 2 and 8 x1000 RPM. Sp unless you are always high on the RPM band your power to get out of the way from an incoming car is lacking for those crucial couple of seconds after your brain goes oh ****

And after the pipe, the difference is typically zero at the low end.

And after the pipe, the difference is typically zero at the low end.
That is questionable and not the part I was commenting on.

I used to ride a zx6e (it has two mufflers) which is down on power, up on weight compared to your bikes. The engine was rarely above the 7-8k RPM wakeup and I can't remember any situation that demanded more power on any GTA highway or surface street. If anything, the mirrors were the biggest problem. They just didn't show enough for proper situational awareness. I must have looked like a chicken, flapping my elbows trying to get a better look in traffic.

Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam deserves strong punch in the mouth is what she deserves for talking smack.

It isn't but I have an OCD thing for efficiency and effectiveness.

There is always a power gain from switching to an aftermarket full system on any SS bike. All of those systems make more sound than the stock system due to additional back pressure and air flow. So why aren't they built that way? I don't know if the answer is to save money on production or to avoid trouble w/ the law and/or social stigma but it bugs me.

I used to ride a zx6e (it has two mufflers)

Was that bike tuned the same way modern SS bikes are? Cause I've ridden 600s before and they don't really come alive until 8+. My 750 has the same "problem" but it isn't as obvious.

Last edited:
Toronto has been overrun with **********. No noise complaints about those loud sports cars.

Dang. trying to figure out the word(s) that fit in those *'s ;-)

油井緋色;2289298 said:
There is always a power gain from switching to an aftermarket full system on any SS bike.

May have been true in the bad old days, but nowadays, stock exhaust systems are very well optimized, i.e. no significant further improvement is possible within reason. I have seen cases where aftermarket exhaust systems LOST power compared to stock. I have seen cases where the aftermarket system might have made a tiny fraction more at one specific narrow RPM range (generally way up high) but lost more than that everywhere else.

油井緋色;2289298 said:
All of those systems make more sound than the stock system due to additional back pressure and air flow. So why aren't they built that way? I don't know if the answer is to save money on production or to avoid trouble w/ the law and/or social stigma but it bugs me.

The manufacturers have onerous regulations to comply with that are far more stringent than the Caledon or other bylaws. It is a testiment to modern engineering that the bikes can make as much power as they make, with emissions as low as they are, and as quiet as they are, with modern stock exhaust systems in place.

There is *very* little engineering to ANY of the common aftermarket mufflers ... it's just a perforated pipe with fiberglass packed around it; not much science there ...

Now the weight of some of those modern mufflers is quite another matter ...

Okay so I have no clue wtf I'm talking about. Thanks for clearing that up lol

Guess I'll go back to a more primitive justification for loud SS bikes......cause it sounds nice :cool:

But somehow no one is cracking down on the asian lady with her infant in the back having a huge argument with her phone while driving 80 on the passing lane of the 401.

^^ this is the most disturbing fact. Deal with that first then worry about the small ****.

hahaha, this is obviously a joke. So they want to tell the harley davidson riders to get an aftermarket exhaust to silence the stock exhaust? Harley's stock are loud as ****. Good luck Ontario.

^^ don't just pick on cruisers. A lot of the bros have ss bikes with no cat and a loud flamethrower on the back of it for scene points. They're equally annoying to listen to.

don't just pick on cruisers. A lot of the bros have ss bikes with no cat and a loud flamethrower on the back of it for scene points. They're equally annoying to listen to.

Yes, but the stock SS exhausts are fine.
Harley stock exhaust on some models would not pass the Db test.

The fix is to insist on a cat box on all models, that can't get that loud with a slipon.

Please don't post lies. Stock Harley's comply with the same noise restrictions as every other stock vehicle. The loud Hogs have been modified to be loud, and that is a fact.

Back
Top Bottom