Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Top 10 Sci-Fi films of all time

Classic cheeseball "Plan 9 from Outer Space".

The movie that killed Bela Lugosi. Factoid: After he died the guy who stood in for him, hiding his face behind the cape, was almost a foot taller than Lugosi. The stand-in had to hunch.

Here are a few of my favourites that were not mentioned:

Event Horizon
Pitch Black
Sunshine
Red Planet
20,000 leagues under the sea
Sphere
Waterworld
Judge Dredd
I, Robot

i hadn't realized people hated it. I thought it very good.

It was basically a retelling of Pinnochio, with high tech. It wasn't exactly hated, but it didn't get the sort of acclaim that a Spielberg movie generally gets. I liked it but it was hardly original, nor do I think it belongs on a top 10 list.

Waterworld - Mad Max goes swimming. Not a very good film, in my opinion.

Surprised Avatar shows up here and there. I think it is plain tacky, doesn't bring anything new, nor creative; and just as AI, it repeats a story that's been done to death already but unlike AI, in a much more sugary, cheap package. AI actually did well with critics, by the way and was a commercial success. The film generated little excitement, however. I somewhat liked it but wouldn't place it in top 10. Can't stand Osmond either.

Starship Troopers is on my all time list of the Worst Films Ever! Very enjoyable while under influence though. For extra fun watch the sequel, starring a stunt double and using the same sets and effects.

District 9 was good at times but had lots of flaws and would not make my list.

There's a lot of movies here that I haven't included but will definitely see now: Westworld, Fantastic Planet, Children of Men, The Quiet Earth, Event Horizon, Serenity, Moon, Inception, Equilibrium, Looper.

Thanks for responding to the thread! Great suggestions and discussion.
Didn't know bike guys are so into SF. Is it the technology aspect of it? Freedom of imagination? What appeals to you about the genre?

...Fantastic Planet ...

Do you mean "Forbidden Planet"? It's one of the all-time greats, even though it's based on Shakespear's "The Tempest." Science Fiction is at its best, when it makes you think. I've been looking for a DVD copy of it, to go with my copy of "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

FINALLY manged to get a hold of Morons From Outer Space. Next on the list of high camp sci-fi...........

27708-killer-klowns-from-outer-space.jpg

I forgot Silent Hill...the original.
The cinematic effects were wonderful...the 'monsters' were fabulous...loved the ending.

Didn't know bike guys are so into SF. Is it the technology aspect of it? Freedom of imagination? What appeals to you about the genre?

I dunno if it's so much bikers.....on any internet forum you tend to get the slightly more nerdy, tech savvy crowd.......I'm not excluding myself from this group either........that demographic has historically always been into sci-fi. I'm sure if you went on a different forum that has nothing to do with bikes you'd see the same thing.

BTW, while I liked Event Horizon and I even own a copy on DVD I don't think it belongs on a Top 10 list. It's a decent movie but not great.

Also, did anyone mention the Thing? The original and the Prequel? I know the Prequel got crapped on by critics and fans alike but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit even if it didn't quite have the sophistication of the original.

EDIT: Just looked back.....yep.......I already mentioned the Thing lol

Last edited:
I dunno if it's so much bikers.....on any internet forum you tend to get the slightly more nerdy, tech savvy crowd.......I'm not excluding myself from this group either........that demographic has historically always been into sci-fi. I'm sure if you went on a different forum that has nothing to do with bikes you'd see the same thing.

BTW, while I liked Event Horizon and I even own a copy on DVD I don't think it belongs on a Top 10 list. It's a decent movie but not great.

Also, did anyone mention the Thing? The original and the Prequel? I know the Prequel got crapped on by critics and fans alike but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit even if it didn't quite have the sophistication of the original.

EDIT: Just looked back.....yep.......I already mentioned the Thing lol

"The Thing" from 1982 wasn't the original. It was a remark of a classic 1951 film, just with a John Carpenter soundtrack and flashier special effects.

Almost two years later, I'm wondering if any new members have something to throw in or if any of the old ones have watched something new.
My list has pretty much stayed the same with few shifts and only one film (Matrix), being bumped out of top !0 by Serenity.

I have seen quite a few of the suggestions listed in this thread, still have few others to watch.
Dredd was very enjoyable despite being so bluntly minimalistic in its intentions. Also liked Sunshine, until the ending ruined it for me that is. If not for that, it would've been top 10 for sure.

Just finished watching Equilibrium - very disappointing.
Smug Bale doing his Neo impression in some sort a noir Kung-Fu Fahrenheit 451 remake.
Hideously repetitive.

And what's up with this Cadillac that's been spray painted white all over and de-badged? Doesn't look futuristic, looks junk yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom