Tire Age | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Age

_eug_

The new bike I got has tires that were manufactured back in the second half of 2009. They look file with lots of tread and no cracks. Are they safe to use or should I grab a new set?

I've ridden on older. What kind of punch you packing? Lean much?

I don't like when the rubber gets hard from age. Just replaced tires with ok tread on a 2007 Suzuki S40 I bought (for my wife to use) - $300 (2 tires, tubes, rim strips, tax, shipping, installation) was a reasonable cost for fresh sticky rubber and for Dunlops vs the OE tires...

I'd ride on them, but check the tires often. If the rubber's gone hard, then cracking will appear

If they are not cracking they are most likely not dried out and hardened. Sun exposure is the 2nd major tire killer after wear. So if the vehicle is stored away from sun rays and used regularly (to squeeze out anti-oxidants, and ozone protectants) then they will remain elastic longer.

Personally, I don't use anything over 10 years on the car and 6 years on the bike.

Added benefit of riding on modern tires is much improved technology, especially chemical. Unless you opt for economy models which I do not recommend. Under extreme conditions, the difference between a quality product and a low end model is dramatic. ... And just because some people use their bikes for commuting only for example, doesn't mean they will not face extreme conditions.

Anyhow, OP, inspect the tires thoroughly, take the motorcycle for a test drive around the block and see if you are comfortable. Also check for flat spots and uneven wear. Those could be the reasons to replace a tire, even with lots of tread left.

I think crankcall knows something we don't, I'm following the advice he follows.

I like where it's going. I'm gonna tail inreb on this.

I like where it's going. I'm gonna tail inreb on this.

lol, whenever I see inreb I think inebriated. It kind of explains the borderline nonsensical one liners he usually posts. Keep it up.

I'll ride on anything with tread and no cracks.

On my car I don't even worry about cracks, at least on the winter beater.

borderline?:eek:ccasion7:

lol, whenever I see inreb I think inebriated. It kind of explains the borderline nonsensical one liners he usually posts. Keep it up.

Googled 'Inreb' ... This is the first result

style_meme_des_in_reb_marshmallow_style_by_tlm3lla-d8yqh4a.png

Got me some new tires :d

Just finished a run to get the road dust on them evenly.

Googled 'Inreb' ... This is the first result

style_meme_des_in_reb_marshmallow_style_by_tlm3lla-d8yqh4a.png

Ya it's all fun and games but are you ever going to update, revise or massage your signature to reflect the new reality?

if stored properly they are fine, i have raced and have had great lap times with 8-9 yr old tires.

Ya it's all fun and games but are you ever going to update, revise or massage your signature to reflect the new reality?
Fair. I was going to wait until she was safe and sound in my garage :cool: I suppose I could remove the ex. Maybe I'm just not over her...

Fair. I was going to wait until she was safe and sound in my garage :cool: I suppose I could remove the ex. Maybe I'm just not over her...

Are you sitting on a milk crate right now?

I just got my tires changed after I should have got an changed as soon as I bought the bike. 10+ yr old tires just sitting on the idle bike for 8+ years. The rain did a number on me last week and that was my last straw. Never had new tires before today but my god what a difference!

Back
Top Bottom