Tips for new riders to avoid a Crash or Death | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for new riders to avoid a Crash or Death

I wouldn't recommend dragging knees in the corners as a beginner, go to the track to do that.

I would add that excessive speed kills, other driver's just can't gauge how fast you are really going and will turn in front of you.

Excessive speed never hurt any one, its stopping suddenly that does it ;) Hahaha, sorry had to say it.

my 2 cents is, ensure your bike is maintained. Tire tread wear, brakes, indicator lights ect, all have to be working. If not you put your self at risk and others. I won't elaborate further.

Stupidity causes accidents and death many times on motorcycles.

Don't ride stupid, keep your head up, and stay within your own limits. And watch out for silver Toyotas...

Leave the ego at home. If you're on an ego trip leave the bike at home. Same goes for heightened emotional states, alcohol, drugs, etc...

Leave the ego at home. ...

You may have right of way and have the moral right, but give way because no matter who is right or wrong, you will pay a heavy price no matter who is in error. Even a small car can destroy a motorcycle and rider, and it takes very little. There's no point in laying in the hospital and repeating that you had the right of way. No matter who is at fault the motorcycle rider pays the price.

The best safety device a biker has is the one on top of his (more applicable to guys) shoulders. Be alert, leave your ego at home and stay safe, no matter the right or wrong, legal or illegal.

latest

Take an off road course if you can.
If you cannot or will not then purposefully ride your motorcycle on gravel and dirt roads so you understand the difference in braking and handling.
What works on pavement is often far different on uncertain surfaces like grass and gravel and dirt.

Why?
Because you WILL encounter these surfaces when you least expect it.....construction zones in particular, having to pull off a road without a paved shoulder etc.
If you know what your bike is like on them ahead of time you won't grab a handful of front brake and go down.

Some of the same off pavement techniques apply to wet on pavement and "gotcha's" like painted lines ( slippery as hell ) and street car tracks.( nasssssty especially when wet ).

Don't be a fair weather rider....ride in the rain a bit so you know what the differences are...vision and bike handling.
In particular be cautious at busy intersections as visibility is reduced and the centre of the lanes can be slick as ice with a film of oil, especially after a long dry spell.

Generally what feels firm and secure can get very squirrelly ....prepare your skills for that and FFS learn to use your rear brake ....how and when.
Both brakes are important and while your main anchor in most conditions is the front brake......that's not true on uncertain surfaces. You need both.

While ABS has certainly helped with this ..it's not a universal feature and your riding should get to the point where it never kicks in.

Most critical point.....have fun and keep a relaxed grip on the bars.....get out in the quiet country roads and enjoy....it will help your white knuckle city rides.

Don't look where you don't want to go.

The manufacturers aren't trying to trick you,
the controls won't suddenly move from their assigned spots;
keep your head up, and be aware of what's around you.

Slow in, fast out.

50% of the advice given on this thread is b.s.

The key is to figure out which half.

Be careful reading well intentioned, but inaccurate advice on the internet.

2nd that. I am surer everybody means well??? However, judge for yourself who knows everything and is trying to impress you.
Use common sense and remain level headed.

油井緋色;2312074 said:
Focus on being faster than you were yesterday if you're into taking corners fast.

Stupid advice. This is why bikes too often end up going off the road and why riders often end up seriously injured or dead leaving grieving friends and relatives behind.

It's not a race out there on the roads, not against others and not against your own previous "best time". If you're into taking corners fast you should be on a race track and not on public roads.

Smoothness counts.

Stupid advice. This is why bikes too often end up going off the road and why riders often end up seriously injured or dead leaving grieving friends and relatives behind.

It's not a race out there on the roads, not against others and not against your own previous "best time". If you're into taking corners fast you should be on a race track and not on public roads.

Err...you're stupid. How many courses have you taken? How many books have you read w/ regards to riding? And how many times have you reread those books to learn something you missed the first time? My bet is none, one or two skim, and zero.

I've witnessed multiple crashes due to riders going out of their comfort zone chasing somebody else...hell, I highsided chasing someone who was a wee bit faster than me.

If you're on the street, being faster than you were yesterday does not mean knee dragging with zero room for error and no run off because if something goes wrong, you get seriously injured or die. It means increasing your comfort and tolerance level by working at the lowest range possible that still stimulates improvement. For experienced riders, this could be 40% of their full retard mode. For slower/newer riders, this could be 70%. All riders, if following this, will hit a point where it is no longer safe to increase speed on street corners...then you hit the track; but this is a new riders topic.

You know what's a great way to increase your risk of crashing or dying? By staying ignorant to what you or your motorcycle are capable of.

Look far ahead.
That goes for
-traffic lights (if its gonna turn yellow, if someone is waiting to make a left IN FRONT OF YOU),
-in traffic (to better analyze when a stop/slow down is coming, being able to see further ahead with a bike is a godsend),
-corners (makes the corner so much easier to tackle)..basically anytime i "panic" i remember to look far ahead in where i want to go and everything smoothes out

When hard braking, use both brakes
- weight doesnt shift/dip as much forward
- adding a wee bit more braking power

Be constantly aware of your surroundings (ties in a little of looking far ahead too)
- there's a reason why they want to see your head move a lot during examination
- knowing where cars are around you helps plan any escape routes not if, but when someone does a stupid manoeuvre
- i found that sometimes if you make eye contact with a motorist it kinda clicks in their mind that there's a bike in their surrounding making them more aware (obviously, dont stare to the point that you crash...)
- be aware that people aren't aware of you lol

油井緋色;2315076 said:
If you're on the street, being faster than you were yesterday does not mean knee dragging with zero room for error and no run off because if something goes wrong, you get seriously injured or die. It means increasing your comfort and tolerance level by working at the lowest range possible that still stimulates improvement. For experienced riders, this could be 40% of their full retard mode. For slower/newer riders, this could be 70%. All riders, if following this, will hit a point where it is no longer safe to increase speed on street corners...then you hit the track; but this is a new riders topic.

You know what's a great way to increase your risk of crashing or dying? By staying ignorant to what you or your motorcycle are capable of.

Finding limits on the street is the fastest way to risk crashing and dying, and that is the inevitable outcome of someone following your "being faster than you were yesterday" "advice".

Almost half of fatal crashes on Ontario highways involve only the rider. Of the rest, half again are rider-at-fault. How many of them were out trying to "be faster than they were yesterday"?

The street should never be a place to find your limits. Do that on the track, period. So yes, your advice is stupid.

To any new rider, there is a lot of good advice here, particularly regarding being aware of your surroundings, road surface, and other traffic. It's also more important to be smooth and predictable rather than fast. Smooth to help keep your bike stable and firmly planted on the road, and predictable to help other road users to be able to anticipate your movement on the road among them

Smooth is key. Smooth will help the fast part, but the main goal is to be smooth, not fast. Improvement is good, but pushing limits to promote improvement should not be done on the street. Do that at the track or at an accredited riding school.

Remember that the street is not a race track and it is not a video game. Sure, everyone wants to have fun on a bike, but the street is still a shared resource that is also shared by other users on foot and on wheels.

You will make mistakes. They will make mistakes. You and them will often make mistakes at the same time and in close proximity to each other. This is where you need to be riding well within the limits of your skills and your bike's capabilities, so you have ample margin to mitigate and correct against your mistakes, others' mistakes, and the unexpected.

Trying to go faster than you did the day before takes away from that ample margin and will quickly put you in a place where you cannot recover. You do not want this when riding on the street, and your family and loved ones certainly will not.

So often after a rider dies from self-inflicted stupidity on a "spirited ride" you will hear other riders say "but he died doing what he loved". Yeah, maybe so, but he died nonetheless, and that means in future he won't be doing any of the other things he enjoyed doing, including maybe less-than-spirited rides.

Think about that when you're riding. You want to be able to keep riding. You can't do that when pushing your limits puts you in a hospital gurney or in the ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom