Time to end alcohol retail monopolies in Ontario! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to end alcohol retail monopolies in Ontario!

I hear you guys about the Beer store thing. but IMHO, LCBO is just fine the way it is. pumps tonnes of money into Ontario. I'm ok with this. Owise, gov't will need a new source of revenue to make up.

If you hate the LCBO, then support your local wine merchants along the Niagara route, and your craft beer guys who make great stuff.

Beer and wine in corner stores is a big mistake for a number of reasons. Sorry in advance for the unpopular opinion.

Maybe the Government could broker a merger of 407, The Beer Store and Hydro. You know, for efficiency sake and to keep prices reasonable.

Maybe the Government could broker a merger of 407, The Beer Store and Hydro. You know, for efficiency sake and to keep prices reasonable.

Throw some oil and gas in there too. Don't want to see any government folk starve

I hear you guys about the Beer store thing. but IMHO, LCBO is just fine the way it is. pumps tonnes of money into Ontario. I'm ok with this. Owise, gov't will need a new source of revenue to make up.

If you hate the LCBO, then support your local wine merchants along the Niagara route, and your craft beer guys who make great stuff.

Beer and wine in corner stores is a big mistake for a number of reasons. Sorry in advance for the unpopular opinion.

I'm with you on this 100%... LCBO is really well run and $ goes to the province (like OLG) - I see no point in privatizing any of that.
There's always room for efficiencies, and as long as that is looked into and acted upon, and is transparent - it's a win/win.

Old news. And since the liberal premier dad (mom) party is now a majority, it isn't going to change. http://metronews.ca/news/windsor/1131676/finance-minister-charles-sousa-says-lcbo-is-here-to-stay/. Ontarians get what they deserve.

As is usually the case with threads here, ignorance is bliss.

Alcohol selection in ON is weak compared to de-monopolized provinces. And the LCBO does not make it easy at all to order stuff in not in inventory. Plus their requirements to producers who want to list with LCBO is fraught with rules and issues that small companies can't work with easily.

That's why you see many beer/wine/liquor enthusiasts ordering from QC, or buying in Buffalo. I drove down to Buffalo multiple times to a store with over 1000 different beers. The wine store was 10X larger.

Don't want to lose a government revenue source by de-monopolizing? Simply tax alcohol more. Taxpayers won't pay for the LCBO costs either, so changes in pricing should not radically change.

The Beer store is even worse.

Even TGAM advocated for privatizing the LCBO.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...e-better-off-without-the-lcbo/article6553978/

Even the ON wine producers are poorly served by their own provincial LCBO.
http://www.thegrower.org/readnews.php?id=3u2w4x6x6z3y

Still that doesn't stop the general public from rushing to immediate judgement based on limited information and bias. Nothing new. Move on.

Last edited:
IMHO get rid of the beer stores and allow beer & wine to be sold in convenience, grocery stores etc.
They already have wine racks at grocery stores.
Keep the LCBO for spirits.
These wine racks are directly controlled by the LCBO.
I knew the Beer Store was privatized for some time now, after doing some reading as to why they have an LCBO and Beer Store in the first place.
At the very least make the cost of alcohol fair if you're going to control it this heavily. We pay 3x what we should. I see the Molson Factory every time I go down the 401, and ask myself why it's 3x the cost for a 24 in our own backyard than in the States.

The BC system is pretty good, other than the prices there are slightly higher but that's besides the point. There are "LCBO's" but they're called the Liquor Store. Other than that it's privately owned "cold beer and wine" stores. They don't sell too much of the hard liquor but some have a great selection. They're mostly small convenience-style stores with coolers for beer. In rural areas the corner store will have booze as well. It's not as easy access as Quebec, but it's a hell of a lot better than here. Also, because they're not government, some are open 365 days a year, huzzah!!

Not this **** again... Privatizing won't make it any cheaper. While LCBO might not carry all the weird hipster beer, I like their european beer selection. It sucks when I go hiking in the US and my only choice is bottled heineken, budweiser and hispter beer. Not one european canned beer. I dont want to haul bottles up and down the mountain. Border guards give me weird looks when I bring my own beer from canada.

Taxpayers won't pay for the LCBO costs either, so changes in pricing should not radically change.

The LCBO is hugely profitable. It makes money for the taxpayer. In my opinion it most definitely should NOT be privatized.

With that said, the Beer Store shouldn't be a private affair. That's a monopoly if there ever was one.

The LCBO is hugely profitable. It makes money for the taxpayer. In my opinion it most definitely should NOT be privatized.

That statement you quoted in the context of the paragraph obviously went way over your head. It's not worth it to me to try to explain further... but feel free to read it again, or not.

Last edited:
With that said, the Beer Store shouldn't be a private affair. That's a monopoly if there ever was one.

I saw an interview with Beer Store spokesperson on Agenda with Steve Paikin. He explained how it actually isn't a monopoly because Steve Paikin pressed him on that. I think it's weak but technically they've got it loopholed.

That statement you quoted in the context of the paragraph obviously went way over your head. It's not worth it to me to try to explain further... but feel free to read it again, or not.

But it was worth your time typing a reply, and then editing it again 5 minutes later apparently. You're a busy boy! No time for shenanigans.

if you would like to read some info on the beer store, go HERE

Free Our Beer, more info. HERE

how this could have gone on for so long is bizzare, it vexes me?? there can be no argument regarding how much money the lcbo or the beer store generates in tax for the province, the same or more can be had if major retailers and even new startups were allowed to sell/market also!! if someone thinks the lcbo has enough clout to be able to buy at a reduced rate, i dare them to see what or how much a walmart/target/sams club/costco and many others can buy for and retail to the customer/consumer. i dont need the lcbo or the beer store to do me any favors, i should be able to go to my local store and purchase whatever they have that i would like at a very competetive rate/price.

hell, give AMAZON a chance and you can have liquor/beer/wine in 24 hours at a incredible price!!!

Please get all your facts first. LCBO controls what the Beer Store can sell. So who is the real Monopoly? Why can't you take back your empty bottles to he LCBO? the beer store for years has asked to sell other spirits and have been told not permitted.
Yet you can buy Beer at the LCBO that the Beer Store is no allowed to carry and also carry same Beer as Beer Store but sell it for higher price as they sell bottles in 6 packs and will charge you 4x6 making it for example over $50 for 24 corona and on $43.95 at Beer Store.
When beer goes on sale at both the Beer Store and LCBO that is delivered by the LCBO to he Beer Store it doesn't get shipped until sale is over so they have it for them selves.

Those are facts that I can prove so flame away.

Its clear that you will NOT waste your time on this.

I live for these little side bars. As participant or spectator it's equally festive.

Back
Top Bottom