Thinking of Replacing the Cruiser - Any Suggestions? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of Replacing the Cruiser - Any Suggestions?

Honda Nighthawk 750? 2002-2003 model?

Not a fan of the updated styling, too rounded over. I'm digging the '84 but I want something with newer mechanicals.

1984_honda_nighthawk_s_cb700sc_1_lgw.jpg

Since the Bimmer is too much bike for you. ;)
I've always loved the look of the Honda Magna's. Along with the classic good looks, they have decent power plants (VFR) to boot! Oh and it has the round headlight you are looking for.

Haha it's the right amount of bike, just too much damn plastic :p

And I almost pulled the trigger on a Magna last fall, great bikes, but in that case I might as well stick with what I've got(the inverted front forks keep it pretty nimble). I'm looking to try something more agile than a cruiser, with classic styling traits and a comfortable riding position.

I'm still leaning towards the 919 at this point, mayyybbeee a CB599. I like the looks of the naked Bandit, but I haven't seen any for sale.. I guess we didn't get them that way in Canada?

Are there any other classically styled naked bikes I'm missing?

So far I've got:
  • Honda 919 (CB900F Hornet)
  • CB599
  • Kawi ZRX1200 (ins too high)
  • Naked Bandit (rare?)
  • Honda Nighthawk
  • BMW R1200R (too expensive, ins too high)
  • Duc Monster 600 (too small)

Surely there must be more of a selection in that style of bike?

A real question to ask is what are your intentions with a new bike? Just for day rides or zipping around town? Or are you looking to some touring as well?

All of the above. It's my daily ride unless it's raining bad, and I also like to take extended rides when I have the time. Hoping to make it out to Nova Scotia sometime this summer.

(I don't mind long rides without a fairing/windscreen)

OP - ST1100 should fit your criteria....one of the classic sport tourers ever ...fantastic motor.

$_20.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...100/582455664?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I have the same bike same year in Australia - best low cost sport tourer.

ask these guys

http://www.st-owners.com

I wish I was just a bit taller/long legged as I find it a tad big for me but damn what a sweet ride. Should be a good fit for you.
$3k well spent in my view.

There are several others

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-sport-touring/ontario/st1100/k0c305l9004

They often come with both sport and touring windscreen.
Behind the touring screen it's incredibly quiet even at 150kph+.

Great design. Were cop bikes here and the cops who rode them said they were better than the replacement ST1300..

•••

ah damn forgot you wanted naked....
mind you with the sport screen and the bags off it's pretty nimble.

STSPORT2.jpg

bags are easy on and off and looks good with them off.

10 minutes and you are in full touring mode. Will run all day at 130+ and big tank too.

Last edited:
I'm set on the classic, naked look. I guess we've exhausted the few options that are available in Canada.

Here's some inspiration. Maybe there's one or two out there that haven't been mentioned?

Bandit 1200N
suzuki-gsf-1200-n-bandit-06.jpg

Kawi ZRX1200
60048359.jpg

Honda CB700sc "Nighthawk"
1984_honda_nighthawk_s_cb700sc_1_lgw.jpg

Honda 919
2003-Honda-CBR919-CB919-CB900F-Hornet900b.jpg

BMW R1200R
Side%20Pose%20Of%20BMW%20R%201200%20R%20CLASSIC%20In%20Black.jpg

Ducati Sport Classic (Yeah, right)
ducati-sport-1000.jpg

If appearance wasn't a factor, I'd probably just pick up an SV or VStrom and call it a day.

Last edited:
SUck it up and finance a new Yamaha triple - fantastic machine.

Yamaha-MT-09-770x433.jpg

or find an FZ8 used.

this is okay if you can get it for 6k

$_20.JPG

Hey he's even got hard cases for it.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...zer/581128487?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

no small value. That fairing is pretty easy to take off but that's a good screen for touring.

Looks like this naked

Yamaha%20FZ8%2010%20%206.jpg

There are others
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/yamaha-fz8/k0l9004

You start sitting in traffic some of those older machines you are looking at will not be fun ( heat ).

Last edited:
Both the ZRX1200 and Zephyr 1100 are classed as sport-touring but here's at least another option - rare though.

34i2weu.jpg

No doubt it would be a great bike, but I have no shame in admitting styling is important to me on this one.

Not a big fan of the "boy racer" look that goes along with full fairing sport bikes, much prefer more of a timeless look :thumbup:

Wow! Someone else who shares my taste in bikes. :)

This would be a nice ride for you but it is out of your price point (at least for now):

Would you consider a Triumph? A Triumph Thunderbird from the 1990s would make an interesting ride. If memory serves me correctly the Thunderbirds of this era had the 900cc triple.

$4k to $5k might be tough but, I'd save and look at near Triumph triple and even a Thruxton. I've always had a crush on Kawi's too.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

How about this?
esa3ese6.jpg
u6apavu7.jpg
ta2anaza.jpg

2004 bandit 1200 36km, nice extras. Miss/peel kijiji $2950 obo 647-299-6310
Clean lines, headlight is easily replaced if you don't like it. Not mine btw, just saw it and thought I'd let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a 2003 - 2006 Kawasaki Z1000? Naked sport bike, riser bar for a little more comfort. Think they can be found for 4000-5000.

Get a modern Triumph twin. They're under powered and overweight and have round headlight. Dead simple to work on. Older carbed one might come up for 5g.

Back
Top Bottom