Thinking of adding a Weestrom | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of adding a Weestrom

Thanks
Have the fork brace already
Mirrors are good info - stock are just "okay"
Adjustable levers for sure...I have them on the Burg stock and put them on the ST1100.

Not really vertically challenged for on and off - after all the KLR is taller. Lowering the front a bit tho sounds a good idea - I could use bit lower to accommodate the BeadRider.
I can take it on and off the centre stand okay - was even uphill on the drive and it comes off WAYYYY easier than the Burgman does.

Have the Vista and a palm throttle - so perfectly set for that bit.

Range is a total treat...I've got 120km on it now and has not got off 5 bars. That is a huge treat.

I tended to run 39-41 in the Burgman and it tended to drift down a bit but came up to 42 - 40 on the slab. Will switch the caps so I can get a feel for it on the Wee.

Thanks - more later - gonna chase some bits amd its getting hot in the sun

As far as mounting the bike with a top case, try standing on the left peg as I mentioned in lightcycle's thread. He said it doesn't work well on the BMW, but I find it works great on the Wee -- not once has either of my wheels come close to lifting with this method, no matter how much weight I've had on it. I have a wider foot print on the kickstand so it never sinks.

Does anyone know, with regards to the 2012+ wee Strom specifically, if I put bar risers on, do I need a longer brake line or any other things? Or is everything long enough to accommodate the risers?

Does anyone know, with regards to the 2012+ wee Strom specifically, if I put bar risers on, do I need a longer brake line or any other things? Or is everything long enough to accommodate the risers?

I have inch up and back with no issues. It was a couple of years ago when I did it and I think I might have had to do minor re-routing of some cables but it wasn't wny big deal or noteworthy.

..Tom

Mine is the same tho the guy put braided on it looks stock and really makes a difference in riding position for me.

Fixed the wind noise.
Tilted the screen back an inch - gave me more viz and now the bike is quiet enough at 130 that I'm not concerned. I think the screen was funneling noise up.
The drive train whine is more than the Burgman and the dual sport tires ( rear is new ) drone a bit.
Nothing I won't blank out soon enough.

Bit more vibration on the bars - no dampers on the ends.

Will likely look at mirrors.

tried my old tank bag and was not fond of that much stuff in front of me. Will get something small instead.
Will try my kids teardrop this aft.

kludged an iPhone mount with my old set up but will get a RAM mount I think.

Scored a 48 litre OEM Topcase so that means no swapping out with the Burgman. But need to know what I need to mount it. It was on a 2010 Wee so just need the hardware which seller does not have.
He is checking tho.

Happy so far...usual shake down issues.

Mine is the same tho the guy put braided on it looks stock and really makes a difference in riding position for me.

Fixed the wind noise.
Tilted the screen back an inch - gave me more viz and now the bike is quiet enough at 130 that I'm not concerned. I think the screen was funneling noise up.
The drive train whine is more than the Burgman and the dual sport tires ( rear is new ) drone a bit.
Nothing I won't blank out soon enough.

Bit more vibration on the bars - no dampers on the ends.

Will likely look at mirrors.

tried my old tank bag and was not fond of that much stuff in front of me. Will get something small instead.
Will try my kids teardrop this aft.

kludged an iPhone mount with my old set up but will get a RAM mount I think.

Scored a 48 litre OEM Topcase so that means no swapping out with the Burgman. But need to know what I need to mount it. It was on a 2010 Wee so just need the hardware which seller does not have.
He is checking tho.

Happy so far...usual shake down issues.

Congrats Dave on your new ride. Hence the scooter bashing should subside now.

I know but there are Barkbusters on - not sure if they are mutually exclusive but will take the BBs first.

Congrats Dave on your new ride. Hence the scooter bashing should subside now.

I ride both, will continue to ride both and have ridden the ST1100 in Aus and the KLR650 in Aus so why should anything change??
Some just don't get the big scoots and I have a thread to edumacate them. :D

Certainly won't stop me posting up what wiser heads who ride 650s understand over at BUSA. They are terrific machines. Quite a few sold their Weestroms and settled on the big Burgman.

I like the Wee but but takes some hoops to get even close to the convenience and comfort of the 650 Exec. Very easy to store jackets etc on the Burg.:rolleyes:
Top case on the Wee and a small tank bag will help.

Must say being up at 2 Wheel in Guelph MotoGuzzi has some interesting looking machines.
moto-guzz-v7-clubman-racer-1.jpg

and Aprilla
Aprilia_Tuareg_2011.jpg

I tell you tho that Givi/ Madstat windscreen touring system is the deal maker on the Wee.

DSC00759.jpg

That with the Barkbusters and I don't miss that aspect of the Burgman.
That I can change the tilt as well height takes it a notch up even.

Highway pegs tho gotta go....useless where they are.

BTW - anyone know if there is much to removing the rear passenger pegs on the Wee?

Also
- what's involved in getting the clutch to engage sooner.
Looking a tad stupid sitting at an intersection wondering just where the engage point is :D

It's fine shifting on the go - don't notice any issue. My ST1100 was the other way...engagement a bit too early - adjustable levers solved that.

TIA

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to adjust to clutch.. It is in the front drive sprocket housing. I am sure there are tutorials on Stromtrooper and VRSI. I can do it but am not so good at describing it without seeing it (and it's completely different on the 2012+ DL650.) Once adjusted you should then adjust the cable free play.

Here's a link, second post in the thread has a description and a picture:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/55269-worn-out-clutch.html

..Tom

Last edited:
K thanks. It's not a big deal and easy enough to adjust too but might as well if no great issue.
Off riding now since kid came back. :rolleyes:

K thanks. It's not a big deal and easy enough to adjust too but might as well if no great issue.
Off riding now since kid came back. :rolleyes:

I edited and added a link in my previous post.

..Tom

. Very easy to store jackets etc on the Burg.:rolleyes:

LOL good one and I apologize for the botched trip...... a little late but hey it is what it is. Be safe out there and enjoy the new bike.

Lovely night and traffic not too bad...went up to the Forks then over to York Soaring - cleaned my visor and then over to Arthur for gas and home.
Stunning sky - marginal shot with the iPhone
arthur.jpg

Have to work on the seat a bit but kids tank bag was fine - with that and the top case - good for local rides and the side bags for touring. I suspect I'll be putting a lot of Ks on this. Sweet ride.

20_-1327435098.jpg

Last edited:
Got the front storage and Nav set up for day to day, photo shoots and maybe okay touring with that smaller bag.
Replaces the storage on the Burgman and then some and more accessible and the iPhone is dead centre which I prefer and can be tilted a bit.

Power out is accessible and it turns off with the bike. Still have to run the cable for the heated gloves but with this weather no rush :D

and yes I know the tank bag is reversed but prefer it. Better viz and map pocket is useful in this direction as is the little pocket

Now to get the Top case mounted and I'll be ready to play hooky tho I can live with the side cases. This weather is too good to miss.

Back
Top Bottom