The Rise in Popularity of the CanAm Spyders?! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Rise in Popularity of the CanAm Spyders?!

Recall the other advantage especially in Quebec - they are decent in snow so can be ridden in far more conditions than a two wheeler.

Not sure I'd call that decent, but hey...it did it. I suppose you could put a snowtire on the back to improve things drastically. Wow, that'd get the anti-darkside crowd bent out of shape somehow.

you cant have moto on road after dec 10th.

but if you have winters on the canam, prolly you can. and has to be all tires. that + snowmobiling gear = win lol

Not sure I'd call that decent, but hey...it did it. I suppose you could put a snowtire on the back to improve things drastically. Wow, that'd get the anti-darkside crowd bent out of shape somehow.

Wouldn't you have to install snow tires all around for it to be legal in Quebec since they have a mandatory snow tire period?

Wouldn't you have to install snow tires all around for it to be legal in Quebec since they have a mandatory snow tire period?

LOL, good question.

Since there's no such thing as motorcycle snow tires, and yes...the CanAm tires are indeed marked as "Motorcycle", people would have to (Gasp!) install car tires on them.

Recall the other advantage especially in Quebec - they are decent in snow so can be ridden in far more conditions than a two wheeler.

[video=youtube;Hm0OG33pHx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm0OG33pHx0[/video]

Awesome!

LOL, good question.

Since there's no such thing as motorcycle snow tires, and yes...the CanAm tires are indeed marked as "Motorcycle", people would have to (Gasp!) install car tires on them.

Wouldn't matter installing car tires on these trikes, they don't lean.

Wouldn't matter installing car tires on these trikes, they don't lean.

If you want to get into the darksider debate the legal issue is the rim cross section which differs very slightly between bike and auto. I wonder why CanAm went with a bike tire and what characteristics pushed the decision.

Re trikes, when I can't hold up the Goldwing I would pass on the three wheelers of any sort and go with a convertible. A trike has all of the disadvantages of a bike and few of the advantages of a car.

If you took a Miata, moved the steering position to the centre, switched from a steering wheel to bars, ripped off the doors and straddled the seat it would feel like a trike if you didn't look back.

I wear gear because it's the right thing to do not because I like putting it on. With a convertible I can wear shorts, tee and flip flops. If the weather changes I push a button and it goes away.

I haven't checked lately but you used to be able to buy a Jeep with removable doors and top. There's the wind factor.

For sure this is a Boomer thing.The Boomers are going to inherit a trillion dollars in NA from their parents that lived thru a depression and a world war.They saved all their money and now their children are going out to spend it on the stuff that turned them on when they were 16.Marketing departments are having a field day with this crowd.

Nah the real estate industry is sucking them all dry and will collapse ......again...2008 redux......1989 redux.....

••••

all this fear of salt and corrosion is mostly nonsense in my view. .....bikes are built to be used in all sorts of wildly varying environments.....hell Bombadier makes Sea-doos ffs....I suspect they understand the issues of all weather/conditions vehicles. Their major market for the trikes is Quebec and people ride them in winter.

Any region near the sea is prone to salt year around due to blowing spray and spin drift. If you drive the Florida Keys you are going to get a huge dose of salt laden wind. Tempest in a teacup. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I saw someone on one of these along Major Mackenzie the other day. I flashed a peace sign and he waved back. I'm seeing more and more of these as well. I think they're pretty cool - but if I had to go 3 wheels I'd rather get a trike. I've ridden the HD tri glide ultra and it surprisingly still feels like a bike (more so than I initially thought). The speakers are loud enough to hear @ 100km/hr+ and still provide enough bass for those bass-driven tracks. The only thing that took some adjusting (for me) was getting used to not having to put your feet down when you stop. In the end, it's all personal preference; to each his own.

Have fun and ride smart.

-jv

We've always had cars and motorcycles. Now we have tricycles, reverse and regular. To each his own loses all meaning if more than four people. Please don't discount the herd mentality. Look at the success of Harley. They even have HOG chapters.

I don't get out of the city much these days, but I would see them frequently 2-3 years ago at all the usual haunts (Hockley, Forks, etc). One even had a custom spider theme paint job, so it's safe to say they've been popular from the get-go. I'd rather ride a Ural than a Can-am but I don't see anything wrong with them. Choice is good.

I guess we're some of those aging Baby Boomers as I'll be 65 later this year. We have two of them an RT and a ST. My wife is on her second one. Previously a 2011 (manual) and now a 2015 RT automatic. Mine is a 2013 ST manual.

We both rode two wheels for years and we have full 'M' licenses.

In 2010 when a truck was coming head on in her lane she low-sided her Vulcan to avoid being hit and ended up with a broken ankle and surgery on her hand after the thumb tried to move to her elbow. After that accident she never was comfortable on two-wheels, so enter her 1st Spyder.

My last two-wheeler was a V-Strom which I rode for 5 years and I still miss it but after 200 Km rides my left leg had problems supporting it and it was my time to get on a Spyder.

We still ride all the roads we did before and just finished a 3000 Km trip up north and into Quebec.

Weather becomes less of an issue as the traction and stability in the rain is quite remarkable. Sandy roads can be rather fun sliding around corners.

The Spyders are very comfortable and there is plenty of storage space for extensive trips.

Thy are pricey though.

I guess we're some of those aging Baby Boomers as I'll be 65 later this year. We have two of them an RT and a ST. My wife is on her second one. Previously a 2011 (manual) and now a 2015 RT automatic. Mine is a 2013 ST manual.

We both rode two wheels for years and we have full 'M' licenses.

In 2010 when a truck was coming head on in her lane she low-sided her Vulcan to avoid being hit and ended up with a broken ankle and surgery on her hand after the thumb tried to move to her elbow. After that accident she never was comfortable on two-wheels, so enter her 1st Spyder.

My last two-wheeler was a V-Strom which I rode for 5 years and I still miss it but after 200 Km rides my left leg had problems supporting it and it was my time to get on a Spyder.

We still ride all the roads we did before and just finished a 3000 Km trip up north and into Quebec.

Weather becomes less of an issue as the traction and stability in the rain is quite remarkable. Sandy roads can be rather fun sliding around corners.

The Spyders are very comfortable and there is plenty of storage space for extensive trips.

Thy are pricey though.

Good for her not giving up. She found another method to keep on riding.
Sound like fun for both of you....but where the heck do you park 2 of them:D

My wife and I are on the tail end of a ride around Lake Superior and up to Cochrane. We saw tons of three wheelers... mostly Spyders... around the lake and of course today as we neared and rode in Quebec.

...Tom

I will consider a Spyder, due to injuries from my get off, I am leerie about supporting a 700 lb cruiser on my ankle with the plate, yes I KNOW it would be fine but it is psychological thing. Also like the idea of the storage for going on rides to say East coast etc. friend is putting his Sypder on the market, he rode it as 3 - 4 buddies also had Spyders but says he has little time to ride it anymore, so he will trade it in on an upgraded CanAm ATV.

As stated I see, the Spyder as a "reasonable" compromise for those who due to injury or age feel they still want to "ride", but can't do a larger cruiser, after all don't see many at 70 on a ninja 1000...lol

Back
Top Bottom