The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 72 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

You realize that whatever you get him, he wont wear it everyday as he wont want to scratch it up because its 'special'. UNLESS, you purposely buy him one that can be worn daily and TELL HIM THAT!!

So.....either a nice dressy one that he only wears on special occasions or a 'work' watch.

Last edited:
The Promaster is full lume.

images

The Promaster is full lume.

images

It’s my brother’s birthday and I wanted to get him something with a bit of a story. I was going to get him the Bulova lunar pilot from Canada and post it but to be honest, I find that quite an ugly watch. This Promaster was apparently retired a way back and became a big collectors item so Citizen reintroduced it with an updated automatic movement. The Italian Dive Unit thing is interesting enough and I think it looks pretty good.

Edit: The reason I was going to get the watch from Canada originally was that they are the same price in $ as they are in pounds in the UK. The only reason I got the promaster from Amazon.uk was that it had a decent price and I couldn’t find it as easily here.

I bought my brother this one (couldn’t find it easily on the Canadian site, I got it from the UK site).

The Italian Navy used to use this apparently.
Not quite that one, but very close. The Italian naval version was a variant of the NY0040, black dial instead of full lume:

1711373087716.png

The story as I remember it is that the Italian navy wanted a 500m rated watch and put out a tender call. Citizen had officially rated the Promaster at 200m, but decided to submit it anyway. It passed all the required testing easily, and was selected over some much more expensive competitors. True Marina Militare examples are quite pricey now, as they haven't issued them in quite a while and the watch world loves a good story (or film/TV appearance).

I've got an NY0040, and like most Promasters, it's incredible value for money. It's my beater watch, the one I wear when working on the bike or whatever. Does have a mineral crystal, so has picked up a couple light scratches, but that adds to the charm for me. Keeps decent time, is absolutely bulletproof, and is a reasonable size at 41mm, though it wears smaller. It's actually a much better size than the more expensive Fugu variant at 44mm.

Curved rubber deployant strap would make it look 100% better. Something along the line of Omega's Seamaster/Speedy strap.

images

Last edited:
Did you buy one? I hate them but they get a lot of horological love from some people.
No, its just something that crossed the feed today that I thought some of you weirdos would like

Back
Top Bottom