The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 242 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

Ah, okay. I misunderstood. That I've done, but only (as you said) if I'm familiar with the road and know what there is no visibility concerns.

I don't want an apology from you.
Sebi said:
First off I was to sincerely apologize

Seb, I said I didn't want you to apologize because I don't think you feel you did anything wrong. The move that was made was entirely justified in your view when you did it, and you listed multiple examples in your message as to why you felt it was a sound decision.

To clarify for those reading so they're on the same page, it was in Maryhill between turns.

Sebi said:
The room for error on the street is just to small to do it especially to a rider I had just met.

So... is this something you're saying you will be more conscious of moving forward?

Sebi said:
I'm not saying this to be a dick but I knew that I could make a pass safely... I've been passed by many bikes on group rides. Quite recently by a rider in a wheelie... :p Even before a turn I've been passed and didn't really throw me off... really am trying not to come off as a dick, but if you notice another rider keeping a faster pace, don't take lead!

Got it. You're not a dick, I just should have known better.

Sebi said:

Thanks for taking my safety concerns seriously.

Barky, I have a question. Why did you take the lead when you were out with riders with whom you're unfamiliar? Whenever I'm on a ride with unknown riders I try not to put myself in a situation where they would have the opportunity to cause a safety concern for me. Please don't take my question as defence of what Sebi did (I really can't comment either way on that since the situation isn't clear), I'm just asking because you seem quite upset about something that happened when you were out riding with strangers. On such a ride I would say you hold some measure of responsibility for your own safety as nobody else would have known what sort of riding near you would cause you to get upset. Sebi feels he was safe making a move, you feel he was not, so that's that, deadlock, case thrown out.

Barky, he apologized. What more do you want? He explained his actions be they right or wrong.

I have passed sebi, he has passed me on group rides. Is riding unsafely in my opinion? No.
Maybe he is used to riding with a certain group that is more simpatico like I mentioned, and a pass like what was described wouldn't put anyone's nose out of joint.

Unfortunately, you guys don't know each other, and have different expectations of behaviours.

Hopefully you approached him directly on the day of the ride before lambasting him on a public forum.

Handle things privately first, and if that doesn't work, then go public. Just a common courtesy.

Long story short... Dave nailed it with his response.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Right, and I apologize for coming across harshly on you, Sebi, I have no issues with you as a person, I'm sure you're quite a nice guy as it sounds through this thread that you are.

I will take ownership of what turned out to be a poor judgement call on my behalf, taking lead. What led up to it was a brief conversation prior to starting that stretch of road indicating we would run through it three times, first checking for debris. After the first go of it there was an indication of a Uturn to go at it again. I hadn't gone as far down the road as the the two lead bikes before making said uturn. I felt there was sufficient distance between myself and the others that I wouldn't have posed an obstruction as I had.

In hindsight, I put myself in that position, and I'm willing to own that. There was a break down in clear communication leading up to the ride, and that's something I feel I could work on with any other riders I'm out with, whether they're members from here, or people I've met elsewhere.

Seb, I understand you felt safe in control of your bike, I say the same thing to my non-riding friends when they see riders out on the road and they think they're being unsafe. I might suggest however that we both could benefit from some patience, and after the corners at a full stop, express your concerns. I'm sure people would rather be told to hang back then have a giant fiasco happen like this

No worries Barky, everyone gets a little edgy when upset; no hard feelings. Before rides, we will definitely address skill level, pace and rules so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. On a separate, lighter note, take a look at this video. Cracked me up!
[video=youtube;OywrEwk3bXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OywrEwk3bXE[/video]

Group Ride

Time: Meet up at 12:30 on Sunday (Aug 23), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Pace: Medium-Spirited; ride your own pace as always.
Duration: ~1.5 hours; ride up to Conestoga Lake

Hope to see you guys out there!

Last edited:
Group Ride

Time: Meet up at 12:30 on Sunday (Aug 23), kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Pace: Medium-Spirited; ride your own pace as always.
Duration: ~1.5 hours; ride up to Conestoga Lake

Hope to see you guys out there!
Boo hiss I want a longer ride lol
I'll probably be there

Rumour has it Doozerdave is bringing some roadblocks so we can close off the road and spend a couple hours on our newly private track ;)

Boo Dave... Private road course sounded awesome.

I'll be there...

Hi folks. It's been a while since I've posted anything here and probably longer since I've seen some of you. I think that last person I saw was BigEvilDoer at Royal for one of the bike nights....

Anyways, just checking to see if anyone is up for a ride tomorrow morning. I'm meeting another rider at the Ice House for 9:30am and heading north. Won't be gone for too long since my buddy has to be home in Milton for no later that 1:00.
Anyone is welcome to join. Pace won't be anything crazy, but possibly a bit 'spirited' in the twisties.

Cheers

Hey hey Katatonic! Long time no see, buddy. Unfortunately I won't be able to make that ride as we're leaving for Calabogie tomorrow morning. Have a great ride. Hopefully we can get together for a ride before the season is out.

Yeah, it's been too long! My weekends are starting to free up now so hopefully I'll be able to join in one of your rides.
Have fun at the track!

Hi folks. It's been a while since I've posted anything here and probably longer since I've seen some of you. I think that last person I saw was BigEvilDoer at Royal for one of the bike nights....

Anyways, just checking to see if anyone is up for a ride tomorrow morning. I'm meeting another rider at the Ice House for 9:30am and heading north. Won't be gone for too long since my buddy has to be home in Milton for no later that 1:00.
Anyone is welcome to join. Pace won't be anything crazy, but possibly a bit 'spirited' in the twisties.

Cheers

Hey Katatonic,

Haven't ridden with you in years! We went out to do the waterloo region photo tag back when I had my old ninja. I'm hoping to sleep in tomorrow but that rarely happens so if I'm up I'll tag along! Don't wait up for me but I'll try to be there.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Also I should probably ask are you talking about the ice house in Burlington?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

I remember that! That was a great day of riding!
I don't have the Katana anymore though, I'm on a black Honda VFR800.
And yes, the Ice House is just south of the 401 on Guelph Line.

Back
Top Bottom