Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Off road/trail - Honda XR650

• Off road/trail - Kawasaki KLR650

• Off road/trail - Suzuki DR650

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
of course , thats why i said personally. to each their own.
i enjoy the planning part of the ride as well which includes programming gas stations and camping areas into my gps. have done the north eastern states and never ran out of fuel. would rather be annoyed with 20lbs+ of fuel under my butt than above my knees, but then i take my bike off road as well

Last edited:
Yeah - off road the big tanks hurt the adventure bikes for sure. With a 160 km range I'd be plotting service stations as well. I thought the Burgman was bad with a 220 or range ( it will go further - I have squeezed 300 out with a litre left ).

One reason I"m taking the Wee cross country instead of the Burgman is range tho the kids FZ-08 is likely a weak part of that plan :D

Got my first dual sport bike!

2009 KLR. Lots of good mods including Elka rear shock, Sargent seat, big bore kit, etc.

72f5ly.jpg

Very nice. Congrats!

Thanks! Pretty excited. Haven't bought a bike in 3 years.

Got an almost brand new Heidenau K76 on the rear, front is worn out a bit, older Conti but that's good because it gives me an excuse to do what you guys have been advising - place a more dirt oriented tire there.

See you on the gravel roads then?

There's a dual sport community here? I never get invited to anything!

I posted a couple dual sport rides in the dirt/supermoto section last season.

Check, and consider becoming a member of the ODSC though, they will have 10 organized rides this year and some of them have a big bike option if the single track proves to be too much.

The first ODSC ride of the year will be The Falls tour in early April, then Bethany in late April.

Really nice bike. Good on ya mate.

Get your spurs the fly over here and rent mine for a couple/three weeks. :D

Got my first dual sport bike!

2009 KLR. Lots of good mods including Elka rear shock, Sargent seat, big bore kit, etc.

72f5ly.jpg

Congrats, if you want to off road a lot consider changing the rubber foot pegs to steel, less slippery when wet, so safer when standing.

That's very good advice. Nothing worse in the mud to slip off a peg. I like the solid grip the metal teeth give to your boots.

BTW - careful what off road boots you get...cuz its not really a full off road vehicle the clearance to the shifter is tight and motocross boots won't work without a bunch of fiddling ( as me how I know ) :rolleyes:

These work fine tho and really truly are waterproof for touring.
FIt under my riding pants...look good but excellent support and shin protection.

BALANCE%20OILED%20BROWN.jpg

http://www.gaerne.com/boots/en/articolo/3/11/19/2522-013/brown/

I don't bother with the middle buckles tho I would if doing harder off road just for support
Nice set up as the adjustable rachet clips are easily removed or put back on as needed
They are very comfy for walking and the big Velcro tab means you can get a really good seal to your legs to be waterproof.

My 11s are perfect in the toe - a bit loose in the heel but I'm going to get gel heel inserts as I can use a bit extra for the Wee.

Last edited:
I've looked into ODSC, may join, although personally I am more interested in smaller group, "half-organized" rides. Also don't intend to do any serious off-roading. That will probably happen later in life. This year, I was hoping to rent a bike for Ganaraska and check out some single track that way.

As for pegs, I may swap them for metal, good point.

Dirt bike boots are pretty much the only gear I need, as I have most everything else already I think from my 5 years of riding. Sport bike boots seem to be the only component that's useless on gravel.
Anyone can recommend some half decent ones at a lower price? Those Gaerns look beautiful but I don't even want to check how much they cost. :)

I generally buy used or on sale so to give you an idea - the most I ever paid for boots so far was $150. Luckily my shoe size is fairly popular (10.5) so always managed to find a good deal.

I gotta catch up on your blog thread but I've been afraid to open it because that mother is darn tootin' time consuming. I'm the kind of person that can't put a good book away until it's done.

Took the KLR around my townhouse complex a couple of times today - does it ever feel different from a sport bike! So tall, handlebars so wide, so upright!
I already noticed how much better the grip is on wet snow and ice vs street tires.

Last edited:
I generally buy used or on sale so to give you an idea - the most I ever paid for boots so far was $150. Luckily my shoe size is fairly popular (10.5) so always managed to find a good deal.

I gotta catch up on your blog thread but I've been afraid to open it because that mother is darn tootin' time consuming. I'm the kind of person that can't put a good book away until it's done.

Took the KLR around my townhouse complex a couple of times today - does it ever feel different from a sport bike! So tall, handlebars so wide, so upright!
I already noticed how much better the grip is on wet snow and ice vs street tires.

it won't stop like your sport bike either! Just wait until you get on the highway, big difference, well you will find out. It's just a different kind of ride all round. I run low end thor mx boots, work fine for me. I think they were 99 bucks new at gp bikes.

I go on the ODSC runs and record the tracks so later on I can go back in a smaller group or no group at all.

However, their casual rides that are posted throughout the season are often just 4 to 5 guys exploring some tracks.

Anyway, I see you are in Clarkson... and I am just near Square One, so this coming season lets go ride. I know some places.

I agree on getting the metal foot pegs. I slipped off my Vstrom with greasy boots once and bought steel pegs immediately afterwards. The best deal I got, but I think that was during their 30% Black Friday sale was at Kapscomoto.com . Their pegs seem very solid and definitely have grip for $18: http://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/fp022.htm

I've looked into ODSC, may join, although personally I am more interested in smaller group, "half-organized" rides. Also don't intend to do any serious off-roading. That will probably happen later in life. This year, I was hoping to rent a bike for Ganaraska and check out some single track that way.

As for pegs, I may swap them for metal, good point.

Dirt bike boots are pretty much the only gear I need, as I have most everything else already I think from my 5 years of riding. Sport bike boots seem to be the only component that's useless on gravel.
Anyone can recommend some half decent ones at a lower price? Those Gaerns look beautiful but I don't even want to check how much they cost. :)

Thor is good low end - my knee armor and armored shirt both Thor.

What is your boot size tho Steve...??

I could not get my toe under with size 11 mx boots.
Even the boots above are tight ( missed a bloody shift today at an awkward moment, )

I wore hiking boots ( and still do ) for a lot of light off road, Zilch protection but good traction

DemonPig check out IBAR Ontario on facebook. A couple hundred members with many small group impromptu rides posted thru the year, the most recent was up to and on lake simcoe last weekend :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom