The cheap trailer Project | GTAMotorcycle.com

The cheap trailer Project

GVH

OK went to look at a bike. It was total crap but bought the old trailer he had. 2001 Snowbear 4x8 trailer. No sides just flat deck. Sitting for 3-5 years
Needs lights, wiring, wheels tires, Coupler looks off / bent and wood is original. Tire cracks nasty date 2001 but 20 LB held just long enough to get up the street to princessauto.

pkC0blT.gif

dLQxCed.gif

28MPT2f.gif

R8eJtDW.gif

Small trailers are fun. Post up your running project costs.

A friend gave me one for free that was in similar condition... I think $400 later it was roadworthy. New 3/4 plywood deck. New tires/wheels. New hubs/bearings. New cheapo Princess Auto lights. Probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

And then after using it for a couple of hundred kilometers:
- new LED lights to replace the POS cheapos that literally filled up with rain water
- new fenders and brackets to replace the metal fenders that each broke off one bracket and rode on top of the new tires for 50 km
- new tires to replace the ones that had been worn flat from the fenders riding on them...

3/4 plywoods more than 3 digits.

Have you found 10ft long marine grade 3/4" plywood?
If so, WHERE?

I have the same trailer and it needs a floor too.
They're great trailers, the day i bought mine I put 6700# of redi-rack on it.

If so, WHERE?

They have 3/4 4x8 for $150

They have 3/4 4x8 for $150
I thought about good plywood on my crap trailer and then decided to get cheap stuff and replace as required. It's been almost 11 years and the cheap stuff is still in ok shape (it gets folded up and spends most winters indoors and if it's outdoors, I pull the sides off so leaves and crap don't trap water against the deck).

I thought about good plywood on my crap trailer and then decided to get cheap stuff and replace as required. It's been almost 11 years and the cheap stuff is still in ok shape (it gets folded up and spends most winters indoors and if it's outdoors, I pull the sides off so leaves and crap don't trap water against the deck).

First time I rebuilt my first snow bear I used OSB. Tremclade oil base painted it. Lasted 5 years always outside. Mainly damage through the paint let water in.

If so, WHERE?

I don't know about 10' long marine grade plywood, but I've used 4 x 8 3/4 PT plywood on a number of exterior projects and it has held up very well. It was about $50 - $55 a sheet a few years ago.

I don't know about 10' long marine grade plywood, but I've used 4 x 8 3/4 PT plywood on a number of exterior projects and it has held up very well. It was about $50 - $55 a sheet a few years ago.

I have been quoted $90 and told it will be going up next week.

I have been quoted $90 and told it will be going up next week.

I haven't looked at lumber related pricing since fall 2019. I hear that prices have shot up considerably, so maybe that $55 sheet is now $90.......... bummer, but it is what it is.

If so, WHERE?

I redid my kid's trailer last year, instead of ply I used 1x6 PT deck boards.

OK did a lot of work over the weekend. Made a few mistakes most irritating drilling the 6 holes in the 3/16 tongue. Laid it all out measured but still not perfectly lined up on the three big holes. Trailer uses two 5/8 pins to mount the tongue so it pivots. I didn't see that one side has a seem inside. I drilled from the other side and it pushed the smaller bit over. Ended up buying an 11/16 bit to line everything up. Used a 3000 psi pressure washer to clean up and blow off most of the loose paint. Cleaned the loose rust and used paint thinner to clean new tongue for the tremclade oil based gloss black paint. I used rust transformer on the fenders. I was going to use flat black but the 25 % more gloss can was 50 % off at $9.00. Keeping it cheap. Led lights installed and even on the correct side. Still need wood. Trying to find used.

1t5vzpW.gif

ogPeSLo.gif

punkkeb.gif

SSgUxVH.gif

Back
Top Bottom