The best thing I ever did | GTAMotorcycle.com

The best thing I ever did

inreb

Site Supporter
Nobody cares but what's the best thing you've ever done? Lifestyle changes - married/kids/divorce, career/sabbatical, health/exercise, hobbies/passions etc. What is the biggest contrast before-after change that makes your life the roaring success it is today?

Not really one thing, but so many individual things that always helped.

Ditched a superficial girlfriend only to end up with an amazing partner
Left a great office job and chose to work outside for something that made me happy
Sold the car and started riding
Stopped smoking cigarettes and took up running
Gave up eating meat and started growing my own veggies
Sold the condo and got a house with all I could ever want
Work less and volunteer more

Thank you. I think we can agree that after clicking my link, your life will be better.

Not really one thing, but so many individual things that always helped.

Ditched a superficial girlfriend only to end up with an amazing partner
Left a great office job and chose to work outside for something that made me happy
Sold the car and started riding
Stopped smoking cigarettes and took up running
Gave up eating meat and started growing my own veggies
Sold the condo and got a house with all I could ever want
Work less and volunteer more
I don't know you yet, but I admire and respect you very much.

As far as what I have done, well, when I finally decided to stick with college after repeatedly dropping out, and getting my HR diploma.
My greatest accomplishments (aside from my kids) are yet to come. Stay tuned.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Well nobody cares but...

Between 2011-2015 I lost 140lbs, from 310 to 170. Although being stuck inside for the last 5 months I'm now at 180 :(

Also stopped buying booze back around mid-October. Don't really feel better except for a fatter wallet which I then spent on motorcycles.

Well nobody cares but...

Between 2011-2015 I lost 140lbs, from 310 to 170. Although being stuck inside for the last 5 months I'm now at 180 :(

Also stopped buying booze back around mid-October. Don't really feel better except for a fatter wallet which I then spent on motorcycles.

Holy toledo, that's fantastic. Backstory?

About 14 years ago I remember standing in the shower and telling myself I hated myself. I never smiled in pictures, didn't have any friends, just sat around and played video games all day. I told myself I was going to change, started doing drugs and making friends. Over a year I lost about 70 pounds (240 to 170), then I quit doing drugs and met a girl, quit video games and rode flatland BMX for about 4 years. Made a bunch of new (better) friends and started working as a painter. Now I run my own small business, ride motorcycles, still with that girl (now my wife) and had a son about 3 years ago. The best thing I ever did was tell myself I hated myself, and it turned my whole life around!

edit: To add a little more, this year I quit smoking cigarettes and cut my weed intake down to 1-2g's a week (compared to an oz per week), I'm planning on losing at least 20 pounds and making a whole new crop of friends. It's good to "cut the bad fruit off of the tree" sometimes!

Last edited:
It's amazing how much improvement is associated with stopping doing certain things. And hating yourself. mmmmakes you wonder.

I don't know you yet, but I admire and respect you very much.

As far as what I have done, well, when I finally decided to stick with college after repeatedly dropping out, and getting my HR diploma.
My greatest accomplishments (aside from my kids) are yet to come. Stay tuned.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk
Thanks! And raising kids well is a great accomplishment - don't need to do anything more than that unless you want to.

JP0160 said:
The best thing I ever did was tell myself I hated myself, and it turned my whole life around!

Great story, man. I can definitely relate.

Holy toledo, that's fantastic. Backstory?

I've always been the anxious loner type, probably always will be. That lead to a lot of video games and garbage junk foods, mainly between the ages of 12-24. Around 25 I got a job that required a physical, was very surprised to see that 3 in front of my weight, realized I was an an awful depression cycle. Immediately cut out soda and started researching how to eat better, also some time exercising on the weekends. Now I did sort of replace bad food with a constant stream of whiskey for 4 years. We'll see how I do at 30 without the booze.

I've always been the anxious loner type, probably always will be. That lead to a lot of video games and garbage junk foods, mainly between the ages of 12-24. Around 25 I got a job that required a physical, was very surprised to see that 3 in front of my weight, realized I was an an awful depression cycle. Immediately cut out soda and started researching how to eat better, also some time exercising on the weekends. Now I did sort of replace bad food with a constant stream of whiskey for 4 years. We'll see how I do at 30 without the booze.

Good stuff. Hope I don't sound too preachy.....factory food and demon sugar in all it's forms can take the best of us down. You're still young enough to nip it in the bud to avoid long term damage. On balance your life will be a lot better without booze as well. Sure boozing is big time fun for the headspace it affords but why be a fake person? Make all day Saturday and Sunday your Fri. and Sat. nights by enjoying clear headed activities.

Back
Top Bottom