The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 98 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

f****** insane. The kid is wearing a helmet so they think everyone is safe. Who are these people? F***!!!!

The child is following along the adults.. freaking parents/grandpa should know better

Not sure that I'd remove my seatbelt, never mind get out, on an Expressway.

Come on now. You're gonna be the driver that refuses to get out and exchange info. Make the other driver's come to you - passing documents through the window? Rather ignorant and selfish. Rest assured traffic was entirely screwed on the Gardiner at that point. I passed by that accident.

dash cam car also ran the red
[video=youtube;hD5DFg1Gt7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5DFg1Gt7c[/video]

Given that the streetcar was stopped at a pickup point I wouldn't have been in so much of a hurry to pass it.

That is my video from last night.

From my youtube description: This impatient Jeep driver almost hit me while making a quick lane change trying to avoid stopping behind a streetcar, forcing me to pass it. This seemed to piss off the operator even though the doors were not opened. I was slowing down to stop behind the streetcar but braking and swerving on a motorcycle is a dangerous combination, so I got off the brakes and swerved and coasted out of harms way past the streetcar.

PLau: That was the streetcar operator honking, I assume at me.

Heh.... Car honked back...?

Yeah. Sounded like streetcar honking. Did the jeep blow by too after you? You accelerated a what seemed like a good clip in your lane just before the Jeep decided to move over. It's dark. Very likely he didn't see ya, and that's understandable. Also, next time.. just realize NO ONE wants to be stopped behind a streetcar. lol.

Last edited:
Yeah. Sounded like streetcar honking. Did the jeep blow by too after you? You accelerated a what seemed like a good clip in your lane just before the Jeep decided to move over. It's dark. Very likely he didn't see ya, and that's understandable. Also, next time.. just realize NO ONE wants to be stopped behind a streetcar. lol.

I'm not sure if the Jeep followed behind me. I did the look back to see if he was following behind to see if I could stop in time for the street car, but I wasn't sure so I kept going. One thing I do know is that he kept his distance from me at the lights and avoided pulling up beside me. I wasn't too angered at the time and would have just told him to be more careful.

That is my video from last night.

From my youtube description: This impatient Jeep driver almost hit me while making a quick lane change trying to avoid stopping behind a streetcar, forcing me to pass it. This seemed to piss off the operator even though the doors were not opened. I was slowing down to stop behind the streetcar but braking and swerving on a motorcycle is a dangerous combination, so I got off the brakes and swerved and coasted out of harms way past the streetcar.

PLau: That was the streetcar operator honking, I assume at me.

While it is generally assumed that it's illegal to pass a streetcar when the doors are open, this is not what the law actually says. It says you are not to pass a streetcar "...which is stationary for the purpose of taking on or discharging passengers..."

Come on now. You're gonna be the driver that refuses to get out and exchange info. Make the other driver's come to you - passing documents through the window? Rather ignorant and selfish. Rest assured traffic was entirely screwed on the Gardiner at that point. I passed by that accident.
No, I'd wait for the cops to show and redirect traffic. If someone plows into those cars at 100 kph, those people standing there are dead.

Oh and I've seen a little old lady getting off a street car, get taken out by a bicycle. Not a pretty sight. Kid was caught, as someone on the streetcar recognized her from school, and knew her address. Cops came back a few minutes ago later with the bike in their trunk. I imagine a motorcycle would do worse.

Last edited:
While it is generally assumed that it's illegal to pass a streetcar when the doors are open, this is not what the law actually says. It says you are not to pass a streetcar "...which is stationary for the purpose of taking on or discharging passengers..."

oh crap! All these years I have been stopping, but when the doors shut, I creep up past it!!

[video=youtube;M4Id_pRBfp4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Id_pRBfp4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

oh crap! All these years I have been stopping, but when the doors shut, I creep up past it!!
Once they've taken on and discharged, you're good to go.

Sure, ok.... but that's basically only made evident by the open doors with stop signs on them. Without at least an open door it's far too simple to argue you thought it was just stopped for some other purpose. So indeed, everyone is right to creep up past when the doors are closed.

No, I'd wait for the cops to show and redirect traffic. If someone plows into those cars at 100 kph, those people standing there are dead.

Ya. I get that, but a little common sense prevails. ALL CARS are going very slow around an accident like that at that point. Traffic was crawling. No one is plowing into anyone - that's already happened. lol.

Sure, ok.... but that's basically only made evident by the open doors with stop signs on them. Without at least an open door it's far too simple to argue you thought it was just stopped for some other purpose. So indeed, everyone is right to creep up past when the doors are closed.

Stopped. At a green light. Next to a streetcar stop sign.

I'm lost. Streetcar stop sign - meaning the sign on the door that's visible when it's open? OR, the streetcar stop post/glass enclosure/whatever on the sidewalk? If the later - that's complete junk. No one will ever go after a driver for not being an expert on what TTC street car stop posts look like, etc...

ALSO .. streetcars stop .. at a green light .. all the time for the driver to jump out and switch tracks to make turns, etc.. While he does that, I'm slowly motoring past.

Once they've taken on and discharged, you're good to go.

Ya. I get that, but a little common sense prevails. ALL CARS are going very slow around an accident like that at that point. Traffic was crawling. No one is plowing into anyone - that's already happened. lol.

I'm lost. Streetcar stop sign - meaning the sign on the door that's visible when it's open? OR, the streetcar stop post/glass enclosure/whatever on the sidewalk? If the later - that's complete junk. No one will ever go after a driver for not being an expert on what TTC street car stop posts look like, etc...

ALSO .. streetcars stop .. at a green light .. all the time for the driver to jump out and switch tracks to make turns, etc.. While he does that, I'm slowly motoring past.

The streetcar system is a bit messed in that there are many situations where you can't really tell if the streetcar is stopping to take on or discharge passengers. There are many instances where there would be streetcars trying to make a turn (most of the time not signalling), or stopped behind a car trying to turn left at a streetcar/bus post and it turns into a guessing game where most (myself included) would just slowly creep by in case the doors do actually open.

This could be easily resolved if operators started using their 4-ways to indicate that they're about to stop to discharge/pick up passengers, or even another light indicating that they're intending to do so. I have seen some operators using their 4-ways or signalling right to indicate that they're about to do so, but for the most part, there is no signal other than their brake lights.

Some riders are also stupid enough to jump out into traffic to board streetcars that hasn't even stopped - before the street car has reached the post and end up waving their fist at you...

Back
Top Bottom