The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 40 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

My understanding, is that they have right of way out of bus bays. That was definitely not a bus bay.

I've seen buses cross three lanes through an intersection and almost run people into opposing traffic, that isn't what the law was about.

I have no problem letting them in when they signal properly and I'm not in the midst of passing them.

Exactly.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

[h=3]Requirement to yield to bus from bus bay[/h]142.1 (1) Every driver of a vehicle in the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay shall yield the right of way to the driver of a bus who has indicated his or her intention, as prescribed, to re-enter that lane from the bus bay. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12).

Requirement to yield to bus from bus bay

142.1 (1) Every driver of a vehicle in the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay shall yield the right of way to the driver of a bus who has indicated his or her intention, as prescribed, to re-enter that lane from the bus bay. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12).

The issue arises when the bus driver doesn't indicate that they want to merge back into traffic which many bus drivers fail to do.

Some do have the mentality of "I signalled, so I'm going into the lane", not checking if someone is directly beside them to begin with.

That being said, generally speaking bus drivers do signal, check, and go, but there are those odd ones out that don't care as there are drivers who don't obey to yield.

Signalling intention to re-enter traffic

2. The driver of a bus shall indicate his or her intention to re-enter the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay,
(a) by the use of a mechanical or electrical signal device as described in subsection 142 (6) of the Act; or
(b) by means of the hand and arm in accordance with subsection 142 (4) of the Act. O. Reg. 393/02, s. 2.

Last edited:
The bus had the left signal on.

[video=youtube;Gmr4HPImJ7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmr4HPImJ7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Was not referring to this video specifically, and had added a statement to my post likely as you were making this post :p

I don't blame bus driver in this situation.

Just saying there are drivers who disobey rules of the road all over and these things will happen.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Here are the important parts. TTC drivers have been reprimanded in the past for interpreting the law as GTF out of my way. Also many drivers are shady at the signalling, technically you don't need to yield until they signal.

In the video above, the bus had its blinker on, the Honda should have yielded, however 2 wrongs don't make a right and I expect fault would go 50/50 as the bus driver clearly violated the cars space.

Requirement to yield to bus from bus bay - 142.1.

(1) Every driver of a vehicle in the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay shall yield the right of way to the driver of a bus who has indicated his or her intention, as prescribed, to re-enter that lane from the bus bay. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12).

Bus not to signal until ready

(2) The driver of a bus shall not indicate his or her intention to re-enter the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay until the driver is ready to re-enter traffic. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12).

When bus must wait

(3) No driver of a bus shall re-enter the lane of traffic adjacent to a bus bay and move into the path of a vehicle or street car if the vehicle or street car is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield the right of way. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (12).

Last edited:

[video=youtube;Gmr4HPImJ7M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmr4HPImJ7M&feature=youtu.be[/video]
They always have their signal on when they pull away from a stop, even if staying in the same lane. It's a glitch in the law. If everyone followed the law to the letter, all traffic on the left of a bus would have to brake to let them into their lane, even when the bus isn't changing lanes.

In this particular case it looks like the Honda driver accelerated when the bus started to pull out. I think he got what he deserved.

Last edited:
They always have their signal on when they pull away from a stop, even if staying in the same lane. It's a glitch in the law. If everyone followed the law to the letter, all traffic on the left of a bus would have to brake to let them into their lane, even when the bus isn't changing lanes.

In this particular case it looks like the Honda driver accelerated when the bus started to pull out. I think he got what he deserved.

I would agree; called on account of douchery.

They don't always. I've seen them pull out of a bus stop with no signal and also with their 4 ways still on.
I watched the video over a few times.
That still shot shows the signal, but that car was pretty close to the bus and the bus threw the signal on and went without hesitation and I'd wager without a look in the mirror as well. Could the car have stopped before he got pushed out of the lane? Absolutely. But I don’t think the bus was completely in the right, either.

Can't wait to see if a guy driving a GSXR 1000 comes on here to complain about me. I'm pretty sure he was new, kept stalling the bike and low speed wobbling in traffic. I finally got a chance to pass him and he wobbled past me a minute later as I was stuck in single lane of traffic, Passed me on the shoulder because he's a smooth criminal. We did that 3-4 times. I just didn't want to drive behind him to be honest. He seemed pretty angry, even took a shot at the side mirror of my truck. No big deal really, but I hope he learns quick, that commute will be hell for him.

They don't always. I've seen them pull out of a bus stop with no signal and also with their 4 ways still on.
I watched the video over a few times.
That still shot shows the signal, but that car was pretty close to the bus and the bus threw the signal on and went without hesitation and I'd wager without a look in the mirror as well. Could the car have stopped before he got pushed out of the lane? Absolutely. But I don’t think the bus was completely in the right, either.

No you're right, they don't always, but they are instructed to and expected to, and most do.

Disagree though about the bus driver. He already had the bus rolling and signaling before the Honda was at his rear bumper. I'd bet he not only looked in his mirror but deliberately squeezed the Honda when he saw it accelerate. Note how the Honda was closing on the dash cam car all of a sudden after the bus started pulling out. You can almost see the car's nose rise when he hits the gas. The fact that the driver was so skillfully prepared to avoid the collision also suggests it was very deliberate on his part.

[video=youtube;beZGgZvjVGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZGgZvjVGc[/video]

Doesn't look good for the bus driver. There is 5 feet on the curb side of the bus. They clearly muscled the honda out of the way (honda should have yielded). Even if the bus technically had the right of way, for that aggressive and clearly unnecessary action, the bus driver should catch a charge.

Doesn't look good for the bus driver. There is 5 feet on the curb side of the bus. They clearly muscled the honda out of the way (honda should have yielded). Even if the bus technically had the right of way, for that aggressive and clearly unnecessary action, the bus driver should catch a charge.

One of the many reasons for this right-of-way is that the driver has limited visibility. Put yourself in a place that should be clear, might have been clear when the driver checked it, and it's on you.

[video=youtube;rN0qfDgVqQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN0qfDgVqQ4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

catch a charge for what? no contact was made.

watch the right side of the video (i think this is from edmonton)

[video=youtube;uJLOxvXGTls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLOxvXGTls&feature=youtu.be[/video]

catch a charge for what? no contact was made.

Options
failing to yield the right-of-way (debatable as honda should really get that one)
improper driving when road is divided into lanes (bus was in right turn lane and made an unnecessarily aggressive move left)
failing to share the road (easiest one, I think the bus and honda would have fit, slamming the honda into the island/left turning car was unnecessary)

Back
Top Bottom