The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 126 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

That was an interesting one. Hopefully, it will be given to the two who made contact so that it can be properly hashed out. Truck was driving fast relative to the other traffic, but the car stopped dead in a live lane, and then crossed a solid to change lanes.

Doesn't look to me like the red car ever actually stopped, but rather slowed down considerably. Truck driver was impatient and performed an improper pass, so is on the hook for this.

Doesn't look to me like the red car ever actually stopped, but rather slowed down considerably. Truck driver was impatient and performed an improper pass, so is on the hook for this.
I'm not so convinced, that's why I said it would be interesting. Might be improper lane change on car. He didn't look and then crossed the solid line to change lanes into the truck's side. Truck probably went straight through to avoid the camera vehicle, because he sped up went he saw that the man in red was coming across.

I'm not so convinced, that's why I said it would be interesting. Might be improper lane change on car. He didn't look and then crossed the solid line to change lanes into the truck's side. Truck probably went straight through to avoid the camera vehicle, because he sped up went he saw that the man in red was coming across.

The vehicle that is passing has the duty of care. The lane that the car moved into was a turning lane, not a passing lane, and whether the line is solid or not has no bearing (lines are not a regulatory device in Ontario). The driver of the truck used a turning lane as a passing lane and did so not in safety.

The vehicle that is passing has the duty of care. The lane that the car moved into was a turning lane, not a passing lane, and whether the line is solid or not has no bearing (lines are not a regulatory device in Ontario). The driver of the truck used a turning lane as a passing lane and did so not in safety.
I still have to disagree. Truck was fully in the turn lane when the car ran into the back of him. If it was the reverse, then I'd say you were correct. The reason I see the truck going straight through is that he sped up to try and avoid the car hitting him, but then wouldn't be able to stop behind the camera car. Unsafe lane change, would be my call. I liken it to pulling out to pass without checking beside you, and then hitting the car trying to pass you. That's why I'd like to see it in court.

I still have to disagree. Truck was fully in the turn lane when the car ran into the back of him. If it was the reverse, then I'd say you were correct. The reason I see the truck going straight through is that he sped up to try and avoid the car hitting him, but then wouldn't be able to stop behind the camera car. Unsafe lane change, would be my call. I liken it to pulling out to pass without checking beside you, and then hitting the car trying to pass you. That's why I'd like to see it in court.

I'd say the erratic driving and double unsignalled lane change would be the deciding factor there.

Red car was crossing a solid white
So was truck. Solid line means nothing anyway. They would likely both get a healthy % of blame here

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'd say the erratic driving and double unsignalled lane change would be the deciding factor there.
So you're agreeing with me now then, might also be a distracted driving charge, or should they just charge both of them, and see what comes out in the wash? Truck was driving pretty consistently, as long as he wasn't speeding. He didn't run into the oncoming lanes, but didn't anticipate the car slowing so abruptly, and then trying to change lanes late. Second lane change for the truck may have been caused by being bumped. and spun. But was most likely because he accelerated to try and avoid the accident, and then didn't have enough room to stop in the left turn lane. Same type of scenario puts bikers in hospital. Someone driving along slows abruptly or even stops, then makes a erratic change in direction without looking. In any case, makes me glad I don't have to drive in Toronto often. Too many people there exactly like the two of them. Happens too often here as well. Someone slows abruptly, then signals to enter a lane as you're passing them. Funny, if the video car didn't move forward the red car would have been left stradding the lanes. I'm not sure how anyone would call that a good lane change. Not sure I've ever seen a law that you have to yield your lane to someone that you're beside across a solid line without signage. Best rule is to signal your intention and then get into the proper lane early. If you miss your turn, then miss it, and get there by another route. These un-signaled last minute direction changes are an accident waiting to happen.

So you're agreeing with me now then, might also be a distracted driving charge, or should they just charge both of them, and see what comes out in the wash? Truck was driving pretty consistently, as long as he wasn't speeding. He didn't run into the oncoming lanes, but didn't anticipate the car slowing so abruptly, and then trying to change lanes late. Second lane change for the truck may have been caused by being bumped. and spun. But was most likely because he accelerated to try and avoid the accident, and then didn't have enough room to stop in the left turn lane. Same type of scenario puts bikers in hospital. Someone driving along slows abruptly or even stops, then makes a erratic change in direction without looking. In any case, makes me glad I don't have to drive in Toronto often. Too many people there exactly like the two of them. Happens too often here as well. Someone slows abruptly, then signals to enter a lane as you're passing them. Funny, if the video car didn't move forward the red car would have been left stradding the lanes. I'm not sure how anyone would call that a good lane change. Not sure I've ever seen a law that you have to yield your lane to someone that you're beside across a solid line without signage. Best rule is to signal your intention and then get into the proper lane early. If you miss your turn, then miss it, and get there by another route. These un-signaled last minute direction changes are an accident waiting to happen.

No, I'm not agreeing with you. The truck was driving erratically.

No, I'm not agreeing with you. The truck was driving erratically.
Car was more erratic. I guess that's the issue. Which was the worse behaviour? For me, the truck accelerated smoothly after a person made a left turn further back. Came up to the intersection intending to turn left. Crowded the car a little to get into the entrance to the left turn lane, and didn't bother signalling. Noticed the car coming over and accelerated further to try and avoid him, went into the straight through lane to avoid the camera car. The car on the other hand, slowed down abruptly, but passed the left turn entrance, then turned without looking or signalling into the side of the truck. I'm wondering if he was checking his phone as he was making the lane change. I think without the video, and a police check to see if the truck was speeding, the fault will end up on the car. Right rear panel of the truck, Front left of the car.

Truck was being a dick. Truck driver should have waited 10 seconds. After the contact, the driver stops in the middle of the intersection to inspect the vehicle. Dick.

[video=youtube;1V2gJJ-uEaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V2gJJ-uEaQ[/video]

Cops frown upon aggressive driving. Is it REASONABLE for the driver of the red car to anticipate the black truck to pass them, and do it so quickly?

It could be argued the driver of the red car saw the truck behind him and shoulder checked, started to make the lane change and the truck made an aggressive move to pass the red car.

Blue car with rear cam is a douche for playing that version of White Wedding.

All should start using public transportation.

Damn right, someone ****** in my corn flakes this morning. Lol.

Car was more erratic. I guess that's the issue. Which was the worse behaviour? For me, the truck accelerated smoothly after a person made a left turn further back. Came up to the intersection intending to turn left. Crowded the car a little to get into the entrance to the left turn lane, and didn't bother signalling. Noticed the car coming over and accelerated further to try and avoid him, went into the straight through lane to avoid the camera car. The car on the other hand, slowed down abruptly, but passed the left turn entrance, then turned without looking or signalling into the side of the truck. I'm wondering if he was checking his phone as he was making the lane change. I think without the video, and a police check to see if the truck was speeding, the fault will end up on the car. Right rear panel of the truck, Front left of the car.

We aren't going to agree.

truck was behind. his fault for not following at a proper distance. It's not illegal for the car to be undecided.

[video=youtube;x7h50PL6hlU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7h50PL6hlU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

So basically I was in a rush and it was rush hour. I tried to get ahead of a train of cars by crossing just before the exit. Some a-hole didnt wanna let me in and accelerated hitting my car. I didnt realize I was hit at the time and kept driving. Upon getting home I realized damage which was pretty severe. I have a dashcam and I got his plate and logo on the side of the truck and everything. This guy also followed me for 2 miles blaring his horn (it was a trucker, as always). I wanna sue him for damages since now my new car is ruined, but dont want to get a ticket as it shows I crossed a solid white lane on my dashcam. As far as Im aware in Ontario it is NOT illegal to cross a solid line (albeit not recommended) but just wanna make sure, otherwise Im stuck paying the damages, which my mechanic said are $1000. Also there was a car in front of me who did the same thing so I assume this is a regular occurrence on the 400/401. TL;DR Should I proceed to file a police report and go to court or will i get in more trouble than its worth?

So basically I was in a rush and it was rush hour. I tried to get ahead of a train of cars by crossing just before the exit. Some a-hole didnt wanna let me in and accelerated hitting my car. I didnt realize I was hit at the time and kept driving. Upon getting home I realized damage which was pretty severe. I have a dashcam and I got his plate and logo on the side of the truck and everything. This guy also followed me for 2 miles blaring his horn (it was a trucker, as always). I wanna sue him for damages since now my new car is ruined, but dont want to get a ticket as it shows I crossed a solid white lane on my dashcam. As far as Im aware in Ontario it is NOT illegal to cross a solid line (albeit not recommended) but just wanna make sure, otherwise Im stuck paying the damages, which my mechanic said are $1000. Also there was a car in front of me who did the same thing so I assume this is a regular occurrence on the 400/401. TL;DR Should I proceed to file a police report and go to court or will i get in more trouble than its worth?
Lol, dude wants to sue the trucker for hitting him when hes the one that hit the trucker. Claims that stopping in a live lane on the highway to cut in front a row of cars is a regular occurrence (which it is in that spot), so it must be right...:rolleyes:

Note: the van that had to slow down with him and go halfway to the next lane to pass and pick up speed agian..

When I used to take that route home, I used to just tuck in at the end of that line of cars when the lane opens and usually end up passing those that cut, or beside them going North on 400... These people just create a dangerous situation as well as traffic by stopping in a live lane in order to cut that line.

Upon further review, dude claims it's rush hour at 3:30pm with freeflowing traffic passing.

Hope the trucker filed for a hit-and-run.

Last edited:
I don't think that I'd have let that entitled ******* in either. Perhaps the truck driver was leaning on the horn because he was trying to get him to pull over after the impact?

Sometimes I actually DO wish that lines were a regulatory device.

Back
Top Bottom