The $100 Ninja | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The $100 Ninja

Buy a can of ether and a lighter? I've never tried it with a bike tire, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Ugh. I hate that that's somehow the most sensible solution right now.

Never tried it. I'm scared.

Wait, isn't that gonna melt the balancing beads? Drat.

I thought you dumped beads in through the valve? The heat event is quite short, I am not sure they would melt, but you may sandblast your face.

Watch some videos to see what to do and what not to do. I would put the tire around a corner and use my non-dominat hand and a BBQ lighter to set it off. That way your body and face are protected if it goes wrong.

Beads didn't wanna go in through the stem (I did remove the core), so I just yanked the (tire) bead open with a tire iron and poured the (meth) beads in.

I guess it is a split-second explosion, beads should survive.

F*ck it, I'm gonna go ATGATT on this thing.

wah.gif

Woot! Working tach.

[video=youtube;P-z3G7NzFJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-z3G7NzFJQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Had to figure it out on my own, from accessing the hidden configuration menu to setting the correct number of coils/cylinders. The only instructions that came with the unit explained how to change the clock and reset the trip meter...

The unit seems designed to take the output from the pickup coil. Going straight to a coil produced a really jumpy needle.

Not bad at all for a C$45 Chinabay import.

Last edited:
Beads didn't wanna go in through the stem (I did remove the core), so I just yanked the (tire) bead open with a tire iron and poured the (meth) beads in.

I guess it is a split-second explosion, beads should survive.

F*ck it, I'm gonna go ATGATT on this thing.

wah.gif

I know you have a small compressor, but to set the bead...... take the valve stem completely out, use a blower tool directly into the stem to fill with air.....put lots of tire lube both sides of the tire and bounce it really hard off the ground as you are filling with air.

You could also use the ratchet strap method...wrapthe strap around the tire and tighten.....you still need to have the valve stem out..... it hasn't world so well for me. there are a bunch of youtube videos

I tried the ratchet strap method with no luck, even after softening up the tire in the sun all morning. A section of the tire bead seems to be too far inward, possibly because of the way it was wrapped and shipped to me, and strapping it only makes it worse. The tire takes no air at all from my wee 18v compressor.

I need a proper tank. I suppose I could rent one for a couple hours.

Oh and I also tried the starting fluid method, with comical results. It never popped.

Hold my beer.

[video=youtube;vZzmMJR8FpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzmMJR8FpA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

(I know I should've taken the wheel off. I'm lazy, and my laziness was compounded by the fact that setting the bead is not critical to this project at this time. I have to figure out a way to mount the speedo sensor to the fork/caliper, and the speedo/tach unit to the handlebars before I can even attempt to illegally ride the bike around the 'hood.)

Last edited:
Hold my beer.

[video=youtube;vZzmMJR8FpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzmMJR8FpA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

(I know I should've taken the wheel off. I'm lazy, and my laziness was compounded by the fact that setting the bead is not critical to this project at this time. I have to figure out a way to mount the speedo sensor to the fork/caliper, and the speedo/tach unit to the handlebars before I can even attempt to illegally ride the bike around the 'hood.)

Not enough flammable spray and not spread around enough, it takes quite a bit (think roughly about filling the tire). What spray were you using? In the past I had tires further off the bead so you could light the fire inside the tire (with a flame thrower, I didn't recommend that to you as it's one more thing that could go wrong), your fire appeared to be on the gas leaking out.

Damn funny with the gear on, thanks for posting.

My thinking was that by shooting at the top, the fluid would spread around (it did). And in another take I didn't post, I yanked on the bead to create an opening and I lit that up - big off-frame flame shot out of the tire, but the opening was too big to exert pressure on the beads. Feels like I was almost there.

I'll give it another try with the wheel off and laying flat on top of the old tire.

Fluid is this thing: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ace-starting-fluid-50-bonus-can/A-p8591919e

Will be much less scary when I'm away from a gas tank. #weeeeeeeeeee

You want flammable vapour and air evenly mixed in your tire, try to minimize the liquid in the tire.

Just buy a air pig or small compressor with. Tank

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Just buy a air pig or small compressor with. Tank

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Seems like a waste of monies. Have no use (or room) for it otherwise.

I'm currently trying to design some brackets for the speedo/tach and for the speedo sensor. I sourced some tiny rare-earth magnets from Lee Valley that will drop right into the Allen heads on the brake disc. 5 magnets instead of the stock 2 will help with the resolution at low speeds.

WUgNuPG.jpg

Not sure how to mount a bracket for the sensor though - both caliper mounting bolts are recessed pretty deep, which makes sandwiching in a bracket problematic. I'm open to ideas here.

CSIrEGL.jpg

It's not pretty, but I've zip tied on a sensor before. I put a $20 bicycle computer on a motorbike, it worked fine (max speed for the computer was something like 200, at that point, who cares?).

Show us a pic of the sensor you are trying to mount.

Edit:
I am not sure about this 5 magnet deal. They are on a small circle, at speed, the sensor will be getting bombarded with signals, I'm not sure if it (or the gauge) will be able to keep up. I'd start with one magnet.

Who cares about speeds less than 30 km/h? At 30 km/h you will be getting roughly (I don't know your exact tire circumference) 4 pulses per second per magnet. That seems like lots to me with only a single magnet.

Last edited:
Will see how it goes with the magnets. Read that people didn't like the stock 2-magnet setup.

The sensor is a threaded rod, you can see it at the bottom right here:

HTB1Z.rIFVXXXXcSXXXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg

Seems like a T-shaped bracket with the top of the T resting against the rear-facing side of the fork would work, but I don't have anything to weld a T together, outside of a miniature butane soldering iron for electronics.

I can probably get away with an L bracket that'll be zip-tied or hose-clamped on the fork. I dunno.

Last edited:
If you put those magnets into the hex sockets on the brake rotor bolts in such a manner that they're permanent, and you ever have to change the brake disk ...

Back
Top Bottom