Thank you for your help at Forks of the Credit today! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thank you for your help at Forks of the Credit today!

I'm still not sure how to deal with those two corners! That's one hell of a stretch of road.

Going up, approaching the left-hand hairpin: Be to the extreme outside of your lane. Go around the corner staying to the outside, away from the center line. This is not a corner to use the "classic racing line". By being to the outside, you give as much room as possible in case there is errant traffic coming the other direction. For the second (uphill decreasing radius right), again be to the outside (close to the center line) - this gives you better visibility and you will see oncoming traffic sooner and they can see you sooner. Stay to the outside entering the first part of the corner then cut to the inside around the tight (decreasing radius) part when you can see through the corner, this puts you further away from opposing traffic and allows you to keep your speed up ... a lot of people fall down right here simply because they are not carrying enough momentum to get up the hill, which steepens quickly as you turn; being in the wrong gear won't help; being on a screwed-up line through the corner won't help. In either case be prepared to go all the way down to 1st gear and feather the clutch if needed.

Going down, more or less the same thing. Take the left well towards the outside (right-hand car track), not a "racing line", in case of errant traffic coming the other way. As you approach the hairpin you can take a glance over the edge to see if there is oncoming traffic. Stay to the left, near the center line. Normally one would take the tightest part of a corner closest to the inside edge, but in this case, the pavement is so steep there that you don't really want to be doing that. Middle of the lane around the tightest part of the corner is a reasonable compromise. The good thing about this is that you are going so slowly that even if there is other traffic in the corner and someone screws up, it isn't going to be a high-speed crash.

The Appleby Line hairpin at Rattlesnake Point is a lot gnarlier and with poorer visibility.

The Appleby Line hairpin at Rattlesnake Point is a lot gnarlier and with poorer visibility.

and whenever I end up there, more sand. Coming down that thing, it's easy for the front end to push wide.

Good description of lines brian, thx.

In wide, apex late, exit tight. That keeps you from running into the grille of the car whose driver can't figure that out.

I once came around the first corner that's just west of the hairpin only to find a minivan parked right on the centre line, with a couple of blue hairs standing next to it and taking pictures. At lean. At 40+ Kmh.

"blue hairs" - lol... Smurfs?

I once came around the first corner that's just west of the hairpin only to find a minivan parked right on the centre line, with a couple of blue hairs standing next to it and taking pictures. At lean. At 40+ Kmh.

Part of why I stay away from there if possible. Especially on weekends when the idiotic tourists are out in full force.

Going up, approaching the left-hand hairpin: Be to the extreme outside of your lane. Go around the corner staying to the outside, away from the center line. This is not a corner to use the "classic racing line". By being to the outside, you give as much room as possible in case there is errant traffic coming the other direction. For the second (uphill decreasing radius right), again be to the outside (close to the center line) - this gives you better visibility and you will see oncoming traffic sooner and they can see you sooner. Stay to the outside entering the first part of the corner then cut to the inside around the tight (decreasing radius) part when you can see through the corner, this puts you further away from opposing traffic and allows you to keep your speed up ... a lot of people fall down right here simply because they are not carrying enough momentum to get up the hill, which steepens quickly as you turn; being in the wrong gear won't help; being on a screwed-up line through the corner won't help. In either case be prepared to go all the way down to 1st gear and feather the clutch if needed.

Going down, more or less the same thing. Take the left well towards the outside (right-hand car track), not a "racing line", in case of errant traffic coming the other way. As you approach the hairpin you can take a glance over the edge to see if there is oncoming traffic. Stay to the left, near the center line. Normally one would take the tightest part of a corner closest to the inside edge, but in this case, the pavement is so steep there that you don't really want to be doing that. Middle of the lane around the tightest part of the corner is a reasonable compromise. The good thing about this is that you are going so slowly that even if there is other traffic in the corner and someone screws up, it isn't going to be a high-speed crash.

Thanks. Now I wanna call in sick and go try it again.

Sent from my iPhone while riding my bike one-handed

The fact that riders flock to the Forks of the Credit just goes to show how truly crappy the riding in Ontario is. You can head down to Pennsylvania and ride roads much better than FOC that go on and on for miles. No tourists, no speed bumps, no ridiculously low speed limits, no cops, and no potholes. Any rider that thinks the Forks is a great ride owes it to themselves to get down to PA for the best riding close to the GTA.

I'll admit that I occasionally hit FOC and did this past Sunday during a two up ride. The Coffee at Higher Ground is great and we saw some really cool bikes and chatted with some nice people. It was enjoyable but the straight roads to get there and the Forks of the Credit itself sucks.

In My opinion I think The majority of riders here are the weekend warriors. After doing PA a few times already I always look forward to each trip. Yes we have the stable lot of guys that ride daily etc. But the majority are stick to riding the GTA area.

Probably start hitting up the states next year what rout do you guys take down to PA? What areas do you hit? Any recommendation for accommodation?

Don't let the word cruising scare you away from the Cruising/Touring forum. There's lot's of info on sport touring. There are lots of routes, GPX files, and accommodation info for Pennsylvania. You'll find the most helpful, and respectful members of GTAM on that sub forum.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?55-Cruising-Touring

Last edited:
The fact that riders flock to the Forks of the Credit just goes to show how truly crappy the riding in Ontario is. You can head down to Pennsylvania and ride roads much better than FOC that go on and on for miles.

Yep, agree, but if I'm sick of typing at my computer in the home office and need to get away from it for an hour, PA is too far away and the forks is a quick 15 minute hop ... and I can bring the laptop along and do the work there; somehow it's just better.

I wish I was a weekend warrior. All I can manage are daily rides to and from work and the occasional Sunday morning 2-hour escapade, if I wake up before babay does.

Must be nice to have all that free time.

I wish I was a weekend warrior. All I can manage are daily rides to and from work and the occasional Sunday morning 2-hour escapade, if I wake up before babay does.

Must be nice to have all that free time.

^^+1

The fact that riders flock to the Forks of the Credit just goes to show how truly crappy the riding in Ontario is. You can head down to Pennsylvania and ride roads much better than FOC that go on and on for miles. No tourists, no speed bumps, no ridiculously low speed limits, no cops, and no potholes. Any rider that thinks the Forks is a great ride owes it to themselves to get down to PA for the best riding close to the GTA.

I'll admit that I occasionally hit FOC and did this past Sunday during a two up ride. The Coffee at Higher Ground is great and we saw some really cool bikes and chatted with some nice people. It was enjoyable but the straight roads to get there and the Forks of the Credit itself sucks.

Can't second that enough. I have never understood the draw to the area on a motorcycle. Mountain bike is a whole different story. That I get. Higher ground is awesome if you're into all that coffee stuff but the road is a whole 7 minutes in length. Usually crawling with tourists both on foot or just stopped/stopping in the middle of the road and all for what? A hairpin and what maybe 8 corners?
:dontknow:

It was fun to finally experience it, but yeah, it's incredibly short for what turns out to be a 140kms ride.

Now, I have to take the (4)10 anyway to go to the in-laws's place, so guess who's going to take the Forks in a rental Chevy Volt this weekend?

Weeeeeeeeeeeee

"blue hairs" - lol... Smurfs?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blue hair

Posted by the mod that hands out infractions for insulting 'groups of people'...........classy.
rolleyes.gif

So report me.

I appears some people don't read GTAM. Was at Higher Ground Monday noonish. Heard the signature wail of 600 in the distance getting closer. Way loud CBR pulls in. Rider was wearing orange soled shoes. Now I'm doubly offended. Then he actually proceeded to do multiple passes over the next 1/2 hour.

I appears some people don't read GTAM. Was at Higher Ground Monday noonish. Heard the signature wail of 600 in the distance getting closer. Way loud CBR pulls in. Rider was wearing orange soled shoes. Now I'm doubly offended. Then he actually proceeded to do multiple passes over the next 1/2 hour.

And then those people are the ones wondering why or complaining about how many cops frequent that area :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom