Test riding before buying? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Test riding before buying?

I've test rode EVERY bike I've bought and quite a few I didn't buy cause of the test ride. One was barely rideable, turned around a half block away and said nope. A few I've sold were test ridden. Full negotiated price in cash, in hand first.

Not sure how the whole "Cash in hand" deal works...presumably if you drop/crash the bike on the test ride the owner keeps the cash and you get a dropped bike...but what if you find defects in the bike, or just plain ol dont like it?

You trust someone to just return your cash just because you didnt like it?

The bike I bought before last I couldn't test ride it because I was fresh from a bike accident and my ankle was buggered. I saw the guy ride the bike and it looked great and he got it safetied for me. When I got it home and took it for a spin I noticed right away the front brakes had a bad pulsation. Further investigation showed both front rotors warped and well out of spec. if I even looked at the front lever the bike vibrated badly. Contacted the previous owner who claimed to have never noticed. :rolleyes:

I test drove a few bikes for friends. One bike has NO front brakes at all. Owner didn't warn me. Another bike was impossible to shift gears.

Having said that the best bike I ever owned the owner wouldn't allow a test ride unless I gave him what he was asking cash in his hand. I never test rode it and it was fine.
.....well it did have a slight misfire, but fresh plugs fixed that.

It would be nice to have the resources to take the "Certified" bike to the MOT and have the mechanic put his licence on the line. There are specs for rotor run out etc.

had to deal with this just yesterday as a seller
guy wanted to ride the bike, of course he did
viewed his DL first and asked a few questions to ensure he could actually ride

as he was unfamiliar with the area, I jumped in the car and he followed,
20 minute ride including a short 401 jaunt, no issues

his buddy was with me with an envelope full of cash
he left with the bike, I got the envelope
deal would not have been completed without a test ride

no way I would do this with a low baller
but the guy paid damn near asking price

Let us know what you purchase :)

Heck if your in the GTA let me know so i can come along with ya.

heading to Ottawa today to look at mint cruiser :cool:
thanks for pointing it out brother

no worries, that bike looks gorgeous.

Not sure how the whole "Cash in hand" deal works...presumably if you drop/crash the bike on the test ride the owner keeps the cash and you get a dropped bike...but what if you find defects in the bike, or just plain ol dont like it?

You trust someone to just return your cash just because you didnt like it?

If it has not been damaged/dropped during the test ride, cash is returned. If they don't like it or whatever doesn't matter.
I allow a test ride locally, like around the block or up and down the street. Not going to go for long or out on the highway, etc.

hope it looks that good in person
ever done internet dating?
if so, you'll understand what I'm talkin about :)

Well its a jap cruiser, so odds of dumb previous owners is low
It does look great

My only concern would be its in ottawa, fairly close to quebec, make sure its registered in Ontario

Well its a jap cruiser, so odds of dumb previous owners is low
It does look great

My only concern would be its in ottawa, fairly close to quebec, make sure its registered in Ontario

mint other than a scratch or 2
but really fantastic shape for the age
only issue I saw was mismatched tires
but I got enough off the price to cover that
signed Ontario ownership in my wallet

gonna be weird going from a new bike with 115 HP
to a 15 year old one with 50

Congrats @JavaFan.....did you test ride it?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Congrats, so far iv learned my fav engines are either V configuration, or triples

Congrats, so far iv learned my fav engines are either V configuration, or triples

Come to the next BMW day, we can test out the 4 and 6's.

Back
Top Bottom