tech ppl input pls - Which Wifi card to buy | GTAMotorcycle.com

tech ppl input pls - Which Wifi card to buy

-D-

Banned
I am looking for an mini pcie wifi and bluetooth card with (Widi-Wifi display).
It's for a Dell laptop but I think the bios is unlocked as I tried another brand of card and no bios error.

I came across this so far.
I am partial to the Intel cards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/intel-dual-...761476?hash=item3f31761384:g:5K0AAOSwAKxWZ72x

Please lmk if you there is a better product. I am still looking also.
It does not have to be AC either but nice to have for future upgrade.

I agree that Intel wireless cards so far seem the best for laptops. They don't do 3x3 802.11ac, but that's rarely actually useful and you need to have three antennas to use in your laptop for that to work.

There is a newer model - 8260/8265 (they seem about the same, 8265 is an Android supported SKU is the only difference I can see). Bad thing about Intel stuff is that they drop driver support for stuff cold turkey once it is EOL, so I would go for the newer one.

BIOS locking M.2 or mini PCIe cards needs to die, especially when the laptop came with some weird variant that was maybe 75 cents cheaper for the OEM when new but support ended for it before the laptop even shipped. See: Broadcom 802.11n

I agree that Intel wireless cards so far seem the best for laptops. They don't do 3x3 802.11ac, but that's rarely actually useful and you need to have three antennas to use in your laptop for that to work.

There is a newer model - 8260/8265 (they seem about the same, 8265 is an Android supported SKU is the only difference I can see). Bad thing about Intel stuff is that they drop driver support for stuff cold turkey once it is EOL, so I would go for the newer one.

BIOS locking M.2 or mini PCIe cards needs to die, especially when the laptop came with some weird variant that was maybe 75 cents cheaper for the OEM when new but support ended for it before the laptop even shipped. See: Broadcom 802.11n

Thanks for your input.
I can't use the 8260 series because it is not the same type of connection and the screw hole is in a different spot.
I will order the card I linked to. I will order from probably 2 different suppliers as 1 will be for HP and one for the Dell.

I found the cards for about $20 shipped.

I think I unlocked my HP bios already.

looking forward to try the wifi streaming (use my tv to split screen)

+1 one to the crappy cards they give you preinstalled
I bet many ppl don't realize their wifi speeds are 72mbps or less.
They have a super fast i-5 or i-7 and wondering why internet is slowwwwww

Also, locking the bios is a way to ensure you buy a newer faster wifi laptop later (1-2 years)lol

Back
Top Bottom