Swerving left and right in a single lane | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Swerving left and right in a single lane

I do it when I'm bored or I'm dodging potholes and manhole covers. Usually the boredom is when I'm on a twisty stretch that I want to go 100+ on but the guy in front of me is doing 40. One reason I hate when people fly past me in my own lane. I might swing to either side to dodge one of our many road hazards at any time.

Do the same in my car sometimes when I'm REALLY bored and start "dancing" with whatever crappy music is on the radio. Freaks people out though so best to avoid it if there's traffic around, lol.

I'm a stupid knob, in both types of vehicles, as Griff says.

Then again, I've also taken a pickup truck off the road and slalomed telephone poles when I was bored. That was up north somewhere and there were no other cars on the road so it's not like it affected anyone. Good fun for about 2 minutes, heh.

Scrubbing/heating up the tires is generally why I thought people do it prior to going into a corner. On the highway, it's purely the cause of boredom.

I do it every time I get off a dirt road and back onto the pavement on my dual-sport, to clean the dirt off the tires. On the highway, it is usually out of boredom.

That's at any intersection, and any such swerving would be quite limited in duration.

What would you call such swerving if it were to be done by someone in a Smart car or early Civic, both small cars who could do the same within the lane marker lines? It would be considered stupid if done out of "boredom" or any other unnecessary reason. Same applies to knobs on bikes.

Cars don't generally have to show anyone that they own the width of their lane. I've had people pull up beside me many times in many, many stupid situations.

That's at any intersection, and any such swerving would be quite limited in duration.

What would you call such swerving if it were to be done by someone in a Smart car or early Civic, both small cars who could do the same within the lane marker lines? It would be considered stupid if done out of "boredom" or any other unnecessary reason. Same applies to knobs on bikes.

I assume you don't ride and never have. The best place to learn how to steer is on a straight road with smooth pavement, with no other traffic around. IF you do ride and something jumps out in front of you, without this practice you will hit whatever is in you're path. All motorcycle skills are learned by practice. You would be surprized at how hard one can reef on the handlebars to change direction when needed. And if a car is doing the same why should I care as long as they stay in they're lane.

Scrubbing/heating up the tires is generally why I thought people do it prior to going into a corner.

Doing this does nothing except make the rider look like a total knob.

Swerving back and forth does nothing to generate heat in tires. The tire carcass flexing under hard acceleration and braking is what builds up heat. The more you know!

To minimize the likelihood of a SMIDSY

+1 I forgot this one in my list. If I ever see a car that wants to pull out or turn left, I typically do this just as a safety precaution.

Cars don't generally have to show anyone that they own the width of their lane. I've had people pull up beside me many times in many, many stupid situations.

That and quick anti-smidsy weaves are not the same as doing prolonged pylon-weaving (without the pylons) down the highway.

So on city streets it's ok but not highways? Or not ok at all? Pick one thing to hate and stick with it. Sheesh

That and quick anti-smidsy weaves are not the same as doing prolonged pylon-weaving (without the pylons) down the highway.

It is also pretty effective at getting the person behind you to stop tailgating you.... I find that giving any hand gestures whether it be the middle finger or a gesture to back off further enrages the driver and makes them want to tailgate you closer.

Who the hell weaves back and forth in their lane doing highway speeds anyway...?

griff2, your posts never cease to amuse me lol such a bad rider

Intersections where people are pulling out would be a practical use for weaving. Getting a tailgater to back off is another use.

Being stuck on the highway going 40km/h and bored out of your mind is also a use sometimes. You can use the weave to increase the amount of distance traveled rather than braking.

Doing this does nothing except make the rider look like a total knob.
At TMP one morning a new track rider did it all the way down the front straight! Got black flagged right away but he thought black flag meant stop in the middle of the track and ask the corner worker pointing the flag at you what the problem is :( Guess he didn't listen in the riders meeting.

At TMP one morning a new track rider did it all the way down the front straight! Got black flagged right away but he thought black flag meant stop in the middle of the track and ask the corner worker pointing the flag at you what the problem is :( Guess he didn't listen in the riders meeting.

How do they escalate from there? Do the rest of the marshals convene on you and start beating you with the flags?

I don't think so it's one of the good things to do on road. Until you don't want to the follow driver to notice you. Sometimes an abrupt change in position can be cause to the accidents. Riders who are advocating swerving here; can elaborate what does "lane Split" means then?

I don't think so it's one of the good things to do on road. Until you don't want to the follow driver to notice you. Sometimes an abrupt change in position can be cause to the accidents. Riders who are advocating swerving here; can elaborate what does "lane Split" means then?

I'm not really sure what you're saying or asking (I'm guessing English is not your first language) but lane splitting is when you ride between lanes of cars, usually in heavy and slow traffic. It has nothing to do with our current discussion.

Back
Top Bottom