SUV choices | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

SUV choices

The Kia had a timing belt, Hyundai a chain. Mine is a 2011, not sure if there was much difference after that.

Ok noted...I have an (old) Ford currently so just fancied a change. The Ford is starting to cost us a fair bit of cash along with the Nissan hence why one has to be replaced with something that will be reasonably maintenance free. The new Mazda red with white leather would be a nice "Canada" car. That might be a bit too much bling though.

I'm going to buy my second Santa Fe. Probably a 2018 as I don't like the colours from '17.

200,000 km's and I've been delighted with it. Not one issue, other than Whitby Hyundai being ridiculously slow. I use the Bowmanville dealership now.

Sport or XL?

Personally, I find the Subaru upper trim levels feel very nice and have a quality about them. Better than Toyota.

Hyundai was a surprise to me and would have bought a Tuscan if my wife didn't prefer the Kia Soul. We ended up getting a demo for a decent deal and she found it closely matched her previous vehicle (a Matrix).

I think she would have liked the rear cargo capacity of the Tuscan or Santa Fe now but, I have a Mazda5 for work and that does the cargo hauling.

She just likes the high seat high of the Soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son just bought a 17 subaru impreza, I am real impressed with the bang for your buck ...awd.... boxer engine ..beautiful roomy interior soft touch everywhere ...handles amazing with the upgraded rigid frame... nicely dressed with the eyesight tech package and all the most important frills for under 25k.
Cant go wrong and good resale to boot

Sport or XL?
The 11 or 18?
Iirc the 11 didn't have those names because the Vera Cruz was still available.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

The 17s and 18s are Sport (no 3rd row) and XL (with 3rd row).
Same engines though, right?
I like the size of the xl. I will be buying my BILs when he is ready to get a new vehicle.

Saw a crv next to a (I think) Fiat 500 L (the 4 door) they were suprisingly similar in size. Is that on your radar at all?

Same engines though, right?
I like the size of the xl. I will be buying my BILs when he is ready to get a new vehicle.

Saw a crv next to a (I think) Fiat 500 L (the 4 door) they were suprisingly similar in size. Is that on your radar at all?

2 different engines for each I think, one's a turbo. Pushes the price up there though.

My Dad used to have a Fiat.....that's another no no.

From a repair technicians perspective, Brian's comment on the american brands is fair, though I would add they have some work to do in the entry level segments. For your checklist, they should have some strong contenders as Brian pointed out.

Sport or XL?

I have the Sport. Every few weeks I head to the track and haul my stuffed 5x8. It's a small trailer (not tall) so wind resistance isn't bad and I figure it costs me about $10 difference in mileage to Calabogie.

I have a blue one, girlfriend and mom in law bought the orange one. I have an aversion to white SUVs and I will never buy a grey or silver vehicle. So that left black for this year. Funny reason to not buy a vehicle but if I'm spending 40,000 beans plus I want to like it.

You can't go wrong with the Korean brands right now - you get a ton of features for your money right off the bat and warranty is better than most. I'm currently selling Kia out here in Hamilton, so if you have any questions, shoot me a pm!

My son just bought a 17 subaru impreza, I am real impressed with the bang for your buck ...awd.... boxer engine ..beautiful roomy interior soft touch everywhere ...handles amazing with the upgraded rigid frame... nicely dressed with the eyesight tech package and all the most important frills for under 25k.
Cant go wrong and good resale to boot

Tell him to be very very careful with eyesight. I drove a car with eyesight a few years ago and it was outright dangerous. I have no idea what subaru was thinking bringing it to market working that way.

The scariest problem happened when Adaptive cruise was on and I was in the left lane of a divided highway with two lanes in each direction. A transport truck was in the right lane going ~30 km/h slower. The highway turned to the left and the subaru went into full ABS panic mode thinking I was going to hit the truck. Hitting the gas did nothing, the computer had control of the vehicle. I had to manually disengage cruise to fix it, at that point I was going 30 km/h in the fast lane of a highway. If there was anything behind me, I would have been run over as nobody would expect those kinds of retarded behaviours with a clear lane ahead. The second head scratcher was the following distance for adaptive cruise, it allowed you to pick 3 distances, the furthest was still way too close (much closer than I drive normally) and by the time you figure out that the adaptive cruise has messed up, you won't have any time to fix it (the closer two distances are just retarded at highway speeds with faulty AI). I think most of the problem was subaru using two cameras so close together, the triangulation requires objects to be very close.

I'm quite wary of these added "safety features", to be honest I see myself not using many of them but we will see. I don't like being complacent when I'm driving. I like the idea of the heads up display in the Mazda though. I can see that being useful as long as it doesn't change focus too much. I also like where the navigation/info screen is on the Mazda, up on the fascia as opposed as to lower down in it. One thing I haven't seen on many SUVs is dimming side mirrors and the Forester has those. Read a review last night about the terrible rear visibility of the Honda and I agree. That could be a deal breaker for the wife especially.

I have the Sport. Every few weeks I head to the track and haul my stuffed 5x8. It's a small trailer (not tall) so wind resistance isn't bad and I figure it costs me about $10 difference in mileage to Calabogie.

I have a blue one, girlfriend and mom in law bought the orange one. I have an aversion to white SUVs and I will never buy a grey or silver vehicle. So that left black for this year. Funny reason to not buy a vehicle but if I'm spending 40,000 beans plus I want to like it.

Smaller engine or larger one? Does it move when you need it to for overtaking? What's the road ride like...also it's not CVT is it?

Smaller engine or larger one? Does it move when you need it to for overtaking? What's the road ride like...also it's not CVT is it?

The smaller engine, the 2.0T, is the more powerful one.

The wife recently bought a santa fe sport 2.0T.... She loves it. She could have bought just about anything... and she chose it. She did rent the 2.4 before she bought... and found it to be underpowered.. it was noticeable going up the 400/11 to muskoka, on some of the slight inclines... glad we didn't have anything hitched... I'm not confident it could have handled even a couple of seadoos on those inclines.
She crashed that rental, wrote it off.. walked away unscathed.. and I think that's what pushed her back into another.
The little 1.6T tuscan was pretty neat too... If you want something smaller.

The smaller engine, the 2.0T, is the more powerful one.

The wife recently bought a santa fe sport 2.0T.... She loves it. She could have bought just about anything... and she chose it. She did rent the 2.4 before she bought... and found it to be underpowered.. it was noticeable going up the 400/11 to muskoka, on some of the slight inclines... glad we didn't have anything hitched... I'm not confident it could have handled even a couple of seadoos on those inclines.
She crashed that rental, wrote it off.. walked away unscathed.. and I think that's what pushed her back into another.
The little 1.6T tuscan was pretty neat too... If you want something smaller.

When I priced up the Sport with the turbo engine and put it in top trim with all the toys it started to get into Highlander territory in terms of price and the Highlander is a well put together vehicle. Still, that's over the $40k tag and I'd rather not push that sum. Conversely the Forester with the turbo engine with top trim and all options is under $40k which is appealing. Same with the Santa Fe and the non turbo engine. I have to take all these out for a drive soon. Won't be for another week though. I research things to death before a purchase though, as I'm not made of money and this is a big purchase hence this thread.

As for the American brands I think I just want to try something different. We've had 2 Fords (old explorer and escape) and a Nissan and they've had ups and downs. The reliability of the Asian cars is very attractive but I know I need to get rid of some prejudice based on older versions. I can't get the image of Hyundai as a cheap brand out my head even though I know they aren't that manufacturer any more and my ex explorer blew a transmission and the escape is becoming pricey to maintain. I've dealt with the Chrysler dealers here for bodywork stuff before and really didn't like the experience either.

You can't go wrong with the Korean brands right now - you get a ton of features for your money right off the bat and warranty is better than most. I'm currently selling Kia out here in Hamilton, so if you have any questions, shoot me a pm!

I know you're going to be a bit biased but I looked at the prices of Sorentos and they seemed to be a bit pricey compared to the market leaders. Was I mistaken?

In my recent experience the SUVs with the normally aspirated 4cyl engines are totally lacking in power. I wouldn't consider the Santa Fe with the 2.4. It'll move it but it works it's *** off. Cousin bought a 2013 Sport with the 2.0T and that's just a pleasure to drive. Little lag, good fuel economy and easy passing capability.

In my recent experience the SUVs with the normally aspirated 4cyl engines are totally lacking in power. I wouldn't consider the Santa Fe with the 2.4. It'll move it but it works it's *** off. Cousin bought a 2013 Sport with the 2.0T and that's just a pleasure to drive. Little lag, good fuel economy and easy passing capability.

Good to know thanks. Could save some money by not having a towing package and leaving that task to the Ford.

Back
Top Bottom