suspension upgrade | GTAMotorcycle.com

suspension upgrade

kania

I ride a zx6r 2009 and as the bike is rite now I love it.. I think my suspension is amazing how it is... basically just wanted some more info on it.. how much better can a upgraded version be.. what can be expected from it ?

Based on you even asking this question and thinking your suspension is already amazing its far more than good enough for your needs. Its got Showa big piston forks which are excellent, not sure what the rear is but its likely a Showa as well. Best thing to do is have your stock suspension set up to your weight by a reputable shop, it should only be $100 or so.

As far as how good it can be, you can spend the same amount of money as the bike when it was brand new if you really wanted, would YOU get your money's worth out of it, hell no. Would you even notice a difference...maybe, it all depends on your riding style.

The best suspension is the one that's set for your riding weight and what you wanna do with the bike (street, track, etc).

Depending on your size, you might need to beef up the spring rates, but that's only if you're getting into the 250+ category. Otherwise, most stock suspensions can be dialed in for your riding weight and the difference will feel like a whole new bike.

Based on you even asking this question and thinking your suspension is already amazing its far more than good enough for your needs. Its got Showa big piston forks which are excellent, not sure what the rear is but its likely a Showa as well. Best thing to do is have your stock suspension set up to your weight by a reputable shop, it should only be $100 or so.

As far as how good it can be, you can spend the same amount of money as the bike when it was brand new if you really wanted, would YOU get your money's worth out of it, hell no. Would you even notice a difference...maybe, it all depends on your riding style.

rite now my is firm and that's how I like it.. that's why im asking can it get better.. im not looking to send crazy amounts of money just a simple upgrade.. I also been on other bikes and to me they seemed really soft and sloppy in turns.. what exactly is the benefit of getting the suspension setup for your weight.. as I like how it is rite now I wouldn't want them to make it softer and then tell me that's what it should be because of your weight

I-m-out_301876_m.jpg

It's good until it isn't.

Ride fast enough, under the right or wrong circumstances depending on your point of view, until it misbehaves, and then you will have to do something about it.

A lot depends on a tuner knowing the right questions to ask. How much steering effort is required ... is the steering neutral mid-corner (once you have set the lean angle, the bike should feel as if you could take your hands off the bars mid-corner - DON'T try it, but it should feel like you could - and maintain the same cornering attitude, not wanting to straighten up / stand up / run wide and not wanting to fall in / wash the front) ... what happens on corner exit ... what happens on choppy pavement particularly mid-corner ... or is it having the problem that my own race bike is having, in that it feels fine, but destroys rear tires at race pace. (It's bottoming the shock and it's at the point where I can't go to a stiffer spring rate without also having the shim stack re-worked; this will be a job for John Sharrard early next season)

There is a trade-off between "grip" and "feel" which is explained in Andrew Trevitt's book. A stiff, harsh, unyielding setup will have good "feel" but on anything but glass-smooth pavement, it will have less-than-optimum "grip" because it won't allow the wheels to move up and down to stay in proper contact with the ground. You need compliance. On the rough tracks typical of Canadian conditions, I want the softest suspension that I can get away with - which is not particularly soft, but it needs compliance without bottoming.

... as I like how it is rite now I wouldn't want them to make it softer and then tell me that's what it should be because of your weight

Not saying it's so, but what if a professional who knows better than you do, told you that was the case, and happened to be right??

A good friend of mine bought a Ducati 848 with OEM Ohlins suspension, and promptly replaced the rear shock with a softer one, because the stock one was far too stiff, and it's a much better bike because of it!

I ride a zx6r 2009 and as the bike is rite now I love it.. I think my suspension is amazing how it is... basically just wanted some more info on it.. how much better can a upgraded version be.. what can be expected from it ?[/QUOTE
You're fork oil is 6 years old, if it hasn't been serviced yet, it is time.

lol

OP, just get your Oem equipment serviced and if needed resprung. Aftermarket components can be great but they're pricy and if you can't benifit from them they're a waste of $$$.

that's what im trying to get at... I know I will need to service the suspension.. would it be better to just pay a little more and get something better... better yet has anyone changed their suspension? did you notice a change in your bike?

A little more?? It's a LOT more. Unless your talking about revalving and springs which aside from springs probably isn't necessary just get it serviced and setup.

I have aftermarket suspension, it costs a lot of money and if I wasn't racing I wouldn't have it.

I presume this is for a street bike. If you are happy with what you've got and it isn't causing any problems, just get the regular scheduled maintenance done (fork oil).

that's what im trying to get at... I know I will need to service the suspension.. would it be better to just pay a little more and get something better... better yet has anyone changed their suspension? did you notice a change in your bike?

Service and set up suspension: $300

Upgraded shock and forks: $2000

If his suspension is 'rite' why are you gonna front like that!

On a serious note: Hard doesn't mean it is right - A suspension tune won't make it worse, it might get the bike feeling differently than what you are used to but that can be a good thing.

Anyways, watch some videos on youtube on preload and rebound so you can understand the basics of what a suspension does so you can have an idea of what a proper setup will do - try watching 'suspension for dummies"

or minimum read this http://www.uponone.com/howtos/4.pdf

Last edited:
If his suspension is 'rite' why are you gonna front like that!

On a serious note: Hard doesn't mean it is right - A suspension tune won't make it worse, it might get the bike feeling differently than what you are used to but that can be a good thing.

Anyways, watch some videos on youtube on preload and rebound so you can understand the basics of what a suspension does so you can have an idea of what a proper setup will do - try watching 'suspension for dummies"

or minimum read this http://www.uponone.com/howtos/4.pdf

thank you... sometimes it's hard to get info with out someone bashing you. on some info that may seem squid like.. I have been to the track and would like to start going more often... once again thank you all for the info

If you are going to start doing track days with it, get an experienced shop to go over it for you. The stock parts are good enough until they aren't.

On your side of Toronto, Pro 6 Cycle runs a lot of track days ... and they have experience with suspension set-up.

Back
Top Bottom