Supernaked to Supermoto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supernaked to Supermoto

killvino

Thinking about making the switch and wanted to see if anyone has done this or is in the same camp.
Since my speed triple, I've thought nakeds were the best type all-around bike.

Finally picked up my dream bike, Aprilia Tuono 1100 last year.
Amazing bike, the best soundtrack and goes like stink. Comfortable enough. I put over 6k on it last season including a trip to the East Coast.

But I'm starting to not feel the fun factor unless I'm going too fast and it's annoying in traffic.

Then my buddy and I swapped bikes for a few weeks. (DRZ400SM)

It was way more fun on normal roads at normal speeds. Ultra light and agile, go over anything. Only thing lacking was power, thing is a dog.

Husky 701SM or KTM 690SMCR - lighter than a DRZ400 (300lbs) 75 hp and all the electronic goodies (up/down QS, ABS, TC)
Regular road maintenance, can do highways and road trips.

Biggest thing I would miss is the great exhaust sound and bragging rights.
(Aprilia lightweight reliable 660 sumo please)

Will try out a 690 SMCR soon but in the meantime, would you switch? Do you ride sumos or dual sports?
Are these mid-size supermotos the next best thing? (no, the heavy hypers, 990smts don't count for me)

Someone (@Relax ?)has a few SXV's. Cool bikes and while not ideal on the maintenance front they definitely have more snot than a DRZ.

i have an FZ1 and i take my drz out way more often in the city.

i was considering a 701, or a hypermotard as an upgrade some day

I had a 690 as my only bike for a year, coming off a KTM 990 SMT (supermoto with a fairing) and I missed the street ability of the 990 more than I appreciated the 690 on or off road. Without question it's a fun bike and if all your riding is short fun focused rides it's awesome, but you're not likely to want to ride far on one.

The 690 Duke would be a better choice I think. Super Moto motor and handling but street bike seating etc. Oh Oh....I think I'm talking myself into one.....

i have an FZ1 and i take my drz out way more often in the city.

i was considering a 701, or a hypermotard as an upgrade some day

Used to be similar, had a 2nd Gen FZ1 and a KTM 625 SMC at the same time. The KTM was infinitely more fun at city speeds, something about being able to go wide open throttle for multiple gears, front end coming up all the time, without breaking the speed limit that is amazing. Terrible to ride on the highway because of the vibrations and lack of wind protection, though I did manage one trip to London and back. Was missing a handful of bolts after.

If you never need to go anywhere outside of the city, or as a second bike, supermoto would 100% be my choice. Have never ridden a bike that was more pure fun.

Thinking about making the switch and wanted to see if anyone has done this or is in the same camp.
Since my speed triple, I've thought nakeds were the best type all-around bike.

Finally picked up my dream bike, Aprilia Tuono 1100 last year.
Amazing bike, the best soundtrack and goes like stink. Comfortable enough. I put over 6k on it last season including a trip to the East Coast.

But I'm starting to not feel the fun factor unless I'm going too fast and it's annoying in traffic.

Then my buddy and I swapped bikes for a few weeks. (DRZ400SM)

It was way more fun on normal roads at normal speeds. Ultra light and agile, go over anything. Only thing lacking was power, thing is a dog.

Husky 701SM or KTM 690SMCR - lighter than a DRZ400 (300lbs) 75 hp and all the electronic goodies (up/down QS, ABS, TC)

Will try out a 690 SMCR soon but in the meantime, would you switch? Do you ride sumos or dual sports?
Are these mid-size supermotos the next best thing? (no, the heavy hypers, 990smts don't count for me)
Sounds like me.

I had a '17 tuono v4rr. Rode it for 20,000km

Loved it, but I prefer something I can live without. A cheap bike I can beat on and not worry about chucking into a ditch.

Sold the Tuono to GP Bikes last summer.

I also have a wr250r/x

I can switch the sumo wheels for dirt in about 20 minutes.

I do a decent amount of single track, and do group rides with the sumo setup (and all 27 hp...)

Its all about corner speed.

690 smc or a husky 701are on my short list, but honestly... the wr does everything I need it to. A 701/690 is heavy and overpowered for single track, and isn't a distance tourer...

Best to have two bikes. A small reliable supermoto, and a cheap street bike.

My
.02c

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

supermotos make great second bikes, but as an only? Not sure if I would like that.
A good naked bike brings a LOT of versatility. You can use it to commute, to sport, to tour, to track etc etc

Maybe if you live in toronto proper, a supermoto would be a good only bike, as your never really leaving the urban environment

this is also why I love the SDR, dont have to be going stupid speeds to have fun, its fun at all revs, gears and speeds:
1655330754053.png

But even then, the orange beast is overkill.

To be perfectly honest, I think you'd be really happy with a duke 890r/mt09SP or even a tuono 660.

(or just keep the v4 and get a second supermoto)

Fun fact. Take all the bodywork etc off a 2009 Hypermotard 1100 and the same with an ugly 2009 Multistrada and what have you got? Two identical chassis.
A "motard" is a super light tuned mx'r with slicks and brakes. All the rest are just wanabees.

Hopefully the test ride will help you decide for yourself, as long as you're allowed to ride it under all the conditions you intend to use it for. Highway manners would prevent my SXV 450 from being an only bike - although it's happy to do over 150 km/h while accelerating, it's buzzy at sustained speeds and I feel like I'm abusing it (120 km/h @ 8000 RPM on stock gearing). So I find myself putting along at 100 to preserve it, or just take the side/back roads when possible. With 6 gears and the bigger motor, I've heard the SMCR is decent on the highway. I thought it would be the one to eventually replace my SXV 450 as the "do it all" bike, but when Aprilia came out with the Toureg 660, I'm now hoping for them to release a supermoto version that competes with the 690.

I had a 690 as my only bike for a year, coming off a KTM 990 SMT (supermoto with a fairing) and I missed the street ability of the 990 more than I appreciated the 690 on or off road. Without question it's a fun bike and if all your riding is short fun focused rides it's awesome, but you're not likely to want to ride far on one.

The 690 Duke would be a better choice I think. Super Moto motor and handling but street bike seating etc. Oh Oh....I think I'm talking myself into one.....

Which year was your 690, and could you elaborate on the street ability that you missed? I've only heard good things about the current models, including highway ability.

I haven't had a chance to ride a 690 or 701 but I have had a DRZ, KTM 625 smc and KTM 450 EXC set up as a supermoto. Love them (well not the 625) but they aren't great as your only bike. I also had a 2014 Tuono which similar to you I could only really enjoy it at speeds that are really too fast for the street.

If highway riding or any sort of longer distance riding is important I wouldn't go that route. I find you sit too upright, have a 2x4 for a seat and zero wind protection so it's a pretty miserable time even if the bike is happy to do it. I would likely be looking at either a KTM 500 EXC or CRF450L if I was going with a supermoto today. I like the light weight and playfulness of the dirt bike based models. A EXC is like 80lbs lighter then a SMC.

Last edited:
Hopefully the test ride will help you decide for yourself, as long as you're allowed to ride it under all the conditions you intend to use it for. Highway manners would prevent my SXV 450 from being an only bike - although it's happy to do over 150 km/h while accelerating, it's buzzy at sustained speeds and I feel like I'm abusing it (120 km/h @ 8000 RPM on stock gearing). So I find myself putting along at 100 to preserve it, or just take the side/back roads when possible. With 6 gears and the bigger motor, I've heard the SMCR is decent on the highway. I thought it would be the one to eventually replace my SXV 450 as the "do it all" bike, but when Aprilia came out with the Toureg 660, I'm now hoping for them to release a supermoto version that competes with the 690.

Which year was your 690, and could you elaborate on the street ability that you missed? I've only heard good things about the current models, including highway ability.
It was a 2012, so the previous gen without ABS. It wasn't horrible on the 401. Not particularly vibey, but between the seat and the windblast it would wear me out. On 2 lane roads it's good really. I did a couple 500km days but I was pretty beat when I got home.

The 690 was absolutely hopeless in single track. Too heavy, geared way too high and not quick handling enough. Wider trails and 2 track were AWESOME.

It is a fun street bike really, but I've met a couple guys with 690 dukes and from their comments I'd go that way if you weren't at all interested in off road.

For urban rips and Sunday blasts, supermotos make a lot of sense. Add highways and distance into the mix? No thanks. Out in the wind like a sail, vibey, narrow seat, no weather protection, typically poor range. As mentioned multiple times above, it's not how I'd want to go as an only bike...

I feel your pain on the overkill of the Tuono on Ontario roads with ridiculously low limits (Lord, was it ever good in BC, though!). It's a constant exercise in self-restraint. It's so unflappable and steady mid-corner that you really need to be hustling before you feel like you're a factor as a rider. I was considering selling mine after I built a track bike, but as I've looked around at options, it all feels a bit ridiculous. It would actually cost me four or five grand to trade for an RS660 after I paid for new suspension, which just doesn't add up in my head. This is especially true considering the mileage is so low on the Tuono and the money I've already spent on the K-Tech suspension.

Having just picked up a dirt-cheap commuter (a hilariously fun Burgman 400, though I did consider supermotos), I've decided to keep the Tuono and save it for weekends and the occasional track day where I want to make my RC51 feel really slow. Mileage will be super low, so not a lot of value insurance-wise (though Desjardins did just knock it down by $800 over my old deal). If anything, I'll add a dead reliable middle displacement sport-touring bike with good range and hard luggage (VFR800) somewhere along the line. Complaining my Tuono is too good is all about head space. It's still drop dead gorgeous in my eyes, sounds like heaven, and is a blast to ride, even at 1/4 throttle. I'd rather add to it than trade, especially if trading is going to cost me anyway. Maybe when there's some used RS660's kicking around, I'll reconsider...

For urban rips and Sunday blasts, supermotos make a lot of sense. Add highways and distance into the mix? No thanks. Out in the wind like a sail, vibey, narrow seat, no weather protection, typically poor range. As mentioned multiple times above, it's not how I'd want to go as an only bike...
If you went with one of the really light and fun SM's as suggested above like CRF450L, maintenance alone kills practicality for long rides. Oil change needed every 1000 km. Engine rebuild every 30K km. Tons of fun for a short period of time but unsuitable for the vast majority of people as your only bike imo.

If you went with one of the really light and fun SM's as suggested above like CRF450L, maintenance alone kills practicality for long rides. Oil change needed every 1000 km. Engine rebuild every 30K km. Tons of fun for a short period of time but unsuitable for the vast majority of people as your only bike imo.
Just change your oil every time you fill up with gas, then rebuild the motor when you get home from your trip! Easy!

I would likely be looking at either a KTM 500 EXC or CRF450L if I was going with a supermoto today. I like the light weight and playfulness of the dirt bike based models. A EXC is like 80lbs lighter then a SMC.

Amen!

I'm actually shopping for 17s for the EXC right now. My Six Days has a quick release front and I can do the switch in minutes.

Everyone says go for wired sumo wheels, but I've got a soft spot for the forged...

Love the look of these Warp9s. Tubeless FTW!!!!

9JQmscEl.jpg.5da225879837a27e4ed74e719e083a68.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 450 Husky and ride it both off road and swap over to SM a few times a year. Not sure about quick swap wheels? I change front caliper adapter for SM and run a smaller sprocket so also swap chains when I go street. Like GG says light SM not a DRZ type. Awesome rude fun for about an hour, then you want to slip the bad boy back in the garage before anyone catches on. Dirt bike maintenance schedule can be much if you are not used to that type of requirement. No passengers, no highway, no comfort, just raw bike feel and sound.

Gotta say that after trying a sumo on the gap, i've been looking at kijiji ever since I got back. Can definitely see problems with enjoying it to it's fullest on Ontario streets though. It's going to be my 3rd bike (2nd insured).

It was a 2012, so the previous gen without ABS. It wasn't horrible on the 401. Not particularly vibey, but between the seat and the windblast it would wear me out. On 2 lane roads it's good really. I did a couple 500km days but I was pretty beat when I got home.

The 690 was absolutely hopeless in single track. Too heavy, geared way too high and not quick handling enough. Wider trails and 2 track were AWESOME.

It is a fun street bike really, but I've met a couple guys with 690 dukes and from their comments I'd go that way if you weren't at all interested in off road.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my stock seat. A plank would have been preferable - mine was domed, and I couldn't ride for more than 30 minutes without feeling serious pain. Installed a Seat Concepts foam kit and it was a night and day difference - I can now go all day on it, and have done multi-day trips as well.

I can see wind blast on the highway being a problem at higher speeds for long durations, but I had that problem with my Hypermotard with a touring screen, and would expect similar from any naked. I found that moving back on the seat and leaning into the wind helped counter the feeling that I was hanging on for dear life.

Last edited:
I recently made a somewhat similar switch. After selling the Suzuki GSX-S1000 I ended up wanting to get something that can do MILD off-roading and hit those dirt roads I always pass by on the cruiser and also be light & nimble and still do paved roads easily.

Ended up getting a Ducati Scrambler Icon 800. The thing is so much fun and so flickable and nimble being 417 lbs wet so likely under 400 with low gas in the tank. The past 3 nights I've been ripping it up in Caledon and exploring the dirt roads I've never been on before (Boston Mills Rd for example between I think it's Heart Lake Rd & Kennedy has a canopy of big trees covering a section such that no sunshine makes it through - so cool).

With a Competition Werkes slip-on it sounds fantastic too - so much character.

It is a smallish bike though so if you're a bigger guy you may want to look elsewhere. If not, don't overlook it.

Will test ride and get back with deeper thoughts. Going to be borrowing a new 690 smcr with a windshield for a week or so. Seat isn't a concern as you can always get aftermarket support.
My rides are a mix and I do long trips around once a year.
That'll help me decide whether to keep, switch or get a cheaper true sumo and a second beater commuter/tourer. (the last one my wife will not like)

Back
Top Bottom