Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie | GTAMotorcycle.com

Summer Solstice Route - Muskoka, Algonquin, Calabogie

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
It might be fun to ride from sunrise to sunset on either June 20 or June 21, depending on weather.
So that's roughly 5:30am - 9pm (15.5hrs).

The route I've got here would leave from Mississausage, head up to Parry Sound, through Algonquin Park, out past Barry's Bay, over to Calabogie, up and across Haliburton and before heading back to Miserysauga by dark.

I've done a similar route by myself pre HTA172 in less time, but even at 15ish hours, it would still need to be a spirited pace.
One thing to plan here would be washroom stops along the route.

Look fun?

General Route:
1591535035642.png

Looks fun...over 2 days for me! I admire anyone that can ride that long.

it does look like you've cut a bit of 518 out. I would add that in and cut the 520/124 portion out.

would you mind reporting on the washroom situation? I am planning on going up north soon as well, and if you have any intel, that'd be great to see. If I end up riding before you, I can do the same here.

Before I go I will try to see if I can have a washroom stop around the 1/3 mark and another around the 2/3 mark. Will update with anything I find out before or during the ride.

I only cut the best part of the 518 out, because I will save it for later in the season for a proper Muskoka ride. I'm also waiting to find out just how bad it is after the 'road improvements' from a year or so ago.

To add an extra layer of punishment, I thought about riding with the shorty screen only.

That is a very ambitious route.
I guess you are trying to maximize the kms?

I would be willing to do something similar but maybe cut some of the distance out.

I just like the riding around Muskoka area and also Calabogie. It's unique to be able to take advantage of the long daylight and explore both areas in one day, so just do a route that fills the day:)

So where in Georgina am I meeting you shane!. :D

I like that route! May do it, though in 2 days. I would love to join, though not sure how your v-strom is on fuel, with the T7 I'm finding it needs gas every 300kms and having only 1,200kms on the ODO, not sure how comfy the seat will be, plus it's still got tubes so if I get a flat, goodbye trip ?

I'm slowly getting the CBF1000 in touring trim and at least I can catchup to Shane on the straights :D

I'm also inclined to do at least part of it and then drop out when body says so. I also have to refuel at 300 km - fuel gauge is Fubar so trip meter only. Thinking of riding with just the panniers and no top case.

Anyone considering this have a SENA??

Scorpion I've got a couple of seat options you can try - both an Airhawk and a Beadrider - easy to bring both.

I'd also be up for making it a two day trip.

My VStrom can get 500km/tank when riding it very gentle and I typically get around 350/km tank. On longer rides I try to find gas around 250km to get in a quick stop / stretch every 2-3 hrs. I figure I will bring trail mix or Clif bars for breaks and eat a 6" Subway for lunch and save the other 6" for dinner. No sit down meals, but eat at scenic spots along the way (likely Algonquin Park for lunch and the Minden Wild Water Preserve for dinner). I won't bring any luggage but a small tank bag to keep my food.

I just put on a really nice Corbin seat as well as an Elka shock - my last ride of 800km was super comfortable. This route doesn't have too many straight roads (maybe around 250kms worth), so with 1000km of curvy roads it should lend itself to not feeling sore as well.

sez you ....at least the corner can be cut almost anywhere to head home.
Missed a brand new Corbin for the CB500x for $325 Cdn by 24 hours :(

Last edited:
I see you have 2 routes in the original post
Which one are you going with.

1591802225851.jpeg

I see you have 2 routes in the original post
Which one are you going with.
I was going to do the one that looped up through Halliburton on the way home.

The other one is there in case things get delayed. I've done the extended ride along Hwy7 and it's pretty nice and quick until you get back closer to Oshawa area, but it is a little boring if time is not of the essence.

I would much prefer the Haliburton way home.

Add a few more lefts and rights Shane and you'll have yourself a fine looking Iron Butt :)

Very nice... love the calabogie area...
I've done to quyon ferry and back in one day (going on backroads from peterborough onward through bancroft and what not and using the 7 to come back).
It's just nice to be out! But it's true that the butt/legs aren't happy after.

I'm in. Could meet in Orillia, or Minden if you run that route in reverse.

Back
Top Bottom