Storing bike in garage (house) any need for a cover? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing bike in garage (house) any need for a cover?

Quarter inch steel mesh over the air intake is a good idea too, son-in-law had a mouse nest inside his airbox the first year of owning a CBR500R. I've taken that precaution with my sea-doo' so they don't make a house inside the hull which has 2 large air intakes. I have a VW that was destroyed by a mouse nest in the air intake, Honda Ascot and a CB650 both with nests under the saddle and wires chewed, all of our cars are missing insulation from under the hoods, excavator is impossible to keep them out, Montesa Cappra that had a mouse nest built in the crankcase via the exhaust, 2 snowmobiles completely taken over by mice and my BMW K100rs had a mouse nest once in the air box once and twice on top of the motor. Long time ago I had a TS185 attacked by porcupine and it chewed a bunch of knobs off the tires.
Never underestimate the power of nature.

Mouse traps are now set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget fuel stabilizer too

Or fuel up with race fuel ;) that stuff has a long shelf life as long as it doesn't evaporate.

So far I am leaning towards no cover. Garage is pretty clean (its a garage). No little people, or pets to worry about. No signs or mice either.
I going to keep riding whenever I get the chance. Who knows maybe I won't need stabilizer or the battery tender. :p

Last edited:
I've been storing the ST over the winter season for over 15 years. Unheated, but attached garage, park on center stand on top of a 4' x 10' tarp and use a Dowco cover. 4 or 5 mouse traps for keep vermin away. Zero corrosion issues so far.

Very neat garage, organized. Carpet too for the bikes!
Curious how did you finish your floor?

Garage is still a work in progress

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...rage-floor-coating-kit-grey-0489726p.html#srp

Just before everything was put back in...

WFjpRau.jpg

Last edited:
Why is it so important to keep dust off? Won't a quick wash in the spring remove all the dust?

Mine is sitting in the garage uncovered but I'll cover it if someone can give me a reason to do so. It sat uncovered last winter too and is still spotless.

a cover will discourage people from trying to sit on a bike
for instance if you have kids playing in the garage
or teenagers with friends over
bikes are cool, everyone wants to sit on them
and there's a chance of accidentally scratching it
or knocking it over
best reason I can think to cover it
even though it's garage stored

Wintertime is also when you do little household things in the garage.A little overspray from a rattlecan will find the bike.

Or fuel up with race fuel ;) that stuff has a long shelf life as long as it doesn't evaporate.

Before anyone tries this ... this is a very bad idea for the race fuels that I'm familiar with (VP, Klotz, etc). They are extremely aggressive against anything plastic or rubber and they have a very short shelf life after they are out of the can that they were shipped in. Many an EFI system has been completely clogged (injectors and fuel pumps and sending units are expensive) and many a carb has had their floats and float valves eaten through because of race fuel left sitting for too long. You are even supposed to purge out remaining race fuel with pump gasoline at the end of each race weekend.

Why is it so important to keep dust off? Won't a quick wash in the spring remove all the dust?

Mine is sitting in the garage uncovered but I'll cover it if someone can give me a reason to do so. It sat uncovered last winter too and is still spotless.

Less to clean in the spring. Less cleaning and more riding in the spring is a plus to me.

There are a couple of reasons I like to cover the bike. One is so passerby’s don’t get a good look to determine if it’s worthy to make an effort to stop in later.

Also I do other work in the garage. Skill saw, drill, and the occasional paint job when the temp is right.

And I’ve got kids and dogs that use the garage frequently.

Left uncovered, can me something like a shovel or hockey stick makes contact. It’s a little bit of protection. Not a lot but it’s something.

I’m not one to have spotless bikes. They get washed in the rain and the occasional wash but, I ride more that clean.

I’m not one to have spotless bikes. They get washed in the rain and the occasional wash but, I ride more that clean.

Ha, it seems me as well. Every time I hop on the bike the past few times I think to myself I really need to give you a cleaning...

I should put it outside tomorrow with the rain in the forecast...:p

Ha, it seems me as well. Every time I hop on the bike the past few times I think to myself I really need to give you a cleaning...

I should put it outside tomorrow with the rain in the forecast...:p

one of my buddies is like that
rides a GSA and takes the dirt as a badge of pride

washed it for the first time in over year this summer
after he noticed it had so much shyt on the front - decomposing bugs
the flies were laying eggs on it and he had maggets crawling around

Last edited:
Ok, I’m not that bad. I’ll give it a once over with a warm damp cloth to rid some of the bug guts. But for the most part, my bikes only look good from 50 km/h and 20 feet or father away.

Or in the rain. Wow! It looks so nice! And then it drys. Hmmm.....there are my old girls. Lol

Back
Top Bottom