Stocks | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

I worked with a guy who's father had been with Bre-X in one of the mineral divisions, his dad died in a small plane crash on the way to a golf game. Probably not BreX related, but he was pretty unpopular after many lost everything.

Oasis opened at 3.38 percent higher. I'm placed a limit order to sell at 17.3 and then I'll reinvest when it goes down again. So I bought at 18 stocks even just gradually growing them up in 3s at a time would be helpful

This might (or not) be a stupid question but where are the sites you guys do your research on stocks on? I'm SLOWLY learning about this but want to speed up the process a bit and want to get as much insight as I can before I put any $ down on a stock.

My main goal is long term growth. With today's economy I can't rely on any pensions or fun stuff like that, so I want to become more active in my future financial planning.

Thought process is:
- majority into safe dividend paying stock/mutual funds
- a few riskier moves but without much $ at first to learn the ropes

This might (or not) be a stupid question but where are the sites you guys do your research on stocks on? I'm SLOWLY learning about this but want to speed up the process a bit and want to get as much insight as I can before I put any $ down on a stock.

My main goal is long term growth. With today's economy I can't rely on any pensions or fun stuff like that, so I want to become more active in my future financial planning.

Thought process is:
- majority into safe dividend paying stock/mutual funds
- a few riskier moves but without much $ at first to learn the ropes

How old are you? The younger you are, the more time you have to ride the ebb and flow of the market. May want to consider a more aggressive portfolio. This, however, is based on your own research and risk tolerance.
For me, in mutual funds, I look at past performance, (although no guarantee of future performance) and I try to make sure that the fund manager is the same one that showed those returns.
That being said, I'm practicing more of the couch investor approach, where I monitor, but don't touch. I still have a couple decades to go.

How old are you? The younger you are, the more time you have to ride the ebb and flow of the market. May want to consider a more aggressive portfolio. This, however, is based on your own research and risk tolerance.
For me, in mutual funds, I look at past performance, (although no guarantee of future performance) and I try to make sure that the fund manager is the same one that showed those returns.
That being said, I'm practicing more of the couch investor approach, where I monitor, but don't touch. I still have a couple decades to go.

I'm 35 in a week :( so still young....ish....

-Sedar.com for financials (site is straight out of 1999)
-Google Finance to track prices, news
-Stockcharts.com to compare performance (their perfcharts include dividends, which Google doesn't)
-Seekingalpha for general investing articles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TD markets and research has a lot of information available right on the brokerage screen.

Watch, but don't blindly follow, shows on CNBC and BNN. (I've never bought anything that Jim Cramer recommended, but it's good to see what his thought process is.)

Understand that by the time the so-called professional market analysts publicize their "buy - sell - hold" recommendations, you should have done whatever they're recommending weeks, or even months, ago. Their recommendations typically lag behind what is actually happening ...

And don't buy shares of any company you don't understand. For every company that I own shares of, I can explain in one sentence what they do or what they build, or merely point to something they represent - and most of the time, I wouldn't even have to make that explanation because you would already know.

Another stupid question here... but how exactly do you buy stocks? I heard for mutual funds you have to go through the bank but no clue if thats true.

Might have to pick up stocks for dummies

Another stupid question here... but how exactly do you buy stocks? I heard for mutual funds you have to go through the bank but no clue if thats true.

ugh since you are asking this question, I would suggest you have a buddy or someone get your first trade. Use a brokerage bank like TD or something simple. Maybe questrade or something once you get used to everything.

A good way to get your feet wet is if your workplace has an employee stock purchase plan. That way you can take advantage of dollar cost averaging (read The Wealthy Barber). Just don't put all your eggs in one basket re: Enron or Nortel (Google it).

As an aside to an earlier post of mine: I fully take advantage of savings / investment options that are offered from work that are offered by third parties. So I have some money directed into a company rrsp with Manulife. That's split in mutual funds and gics. RPP is also with Manulife, with a company match of 50%, it's a no brainer. And a little bit in my company's espp. Fees savings = more profit.

What link and Joe said.

If you really need help just phone up or go into your bank (or if your bank is rated really bad with commission fees head over to another bank) and ask them how they can get you started.

Some banks, if their mobile app is up to date with the times, will let you trade using your phone which is what I was doing all of yesterday when I was in class

Lots of resources online, some already mentioned.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/stocks/?rp=i

as well as some financial 'classes' on KhanAcademy will get you started.

There should be no rush to get into the stock market and buying/selling, etc. Take your time to understand what it is you're doing and trying to achieve. If you can't explain it to your grandmother, you don't know enough and need to learn more. It's not overly complicated, it's that there are a LOT of factors to consider.

CXV might be hitting some resistance at the .70 level if you run the technicals on the chart. Could be people taking profit etc. Hope the next set of news that comes out is positive. I'm not in the stock though, just watching from the sidelines.

I'm in TNK as of yesterday. Lookin good today.

CXV might be hitting some resistance at the .70 level if you run the technicals on the chart. Could be people taking profit etc. Hope the next set of news that comes out is positive. I'm not in the stock though, just watching from the sidelines.

I'm in TNK as of yesterday. Lookin good today.

What does your chart say about a base for CXV?
(I've yet to learn technicals & symbols ).

Last edited:
What does your chart say about a base for CVX?
(I've yet to learn technicals).

Well CVX would be around $80... of course that is Chevron... CXV is something totoally different, another good lesson, buy and sell the correct stock!

Just being a PITA BTW...

Back
Top Bottom