Stocks | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stocks

I didnt. I don't have as much money as you guys do to trade especially after buying a bike and a car (I'm only 20 and work part time since I'm still in school). So I wouldn't be able to invest and in turn make much of a return but once I save up for a bit I'll get into the bigger investments to make some short, large returns.

As of now I still only have 300 in oasis. But will soon invest more once I save a bit.

Did not realize your age. But, at 20, you're doing fine. Car, bike, $300 invested in stock.
When my first born was your age, I had him set up an auto withdrawal so he could save via divi paying mutual fund.
He was doing excellent. Then he lost his mind.
You might want to look into the 'auto withdrawal' each pay cheque?
At your age, most mutual funds are a solid way to build a good foundation. (don't lose your mind). Stock picking comes later.
I got the same advice when I started working F/T. I was 17.
All my extra dough went into a Precious Metals Fund.
I retired at 40.

No one retires at 40. Even those who say they did.

Actually, look at RBC's precious metal mutual funds.

If Gary had it in something like that, he would've been laughing money.

........and for the record, I bought both my GS500 and GSX-R750 using gains from that fund.

I'm not saying he didn't make boatloads of cash. I'm saying that being retired at 40 means nothing. Unless you're really just traveling and playing golf all day every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying he didn't make boatloads of cash. I'm saying that being retired at 40 means nothing. Unless you're really just traveling and playing golf all day every day.

buddddd, you don't know Gary like we do....

OCtGG78.jpg

You don't need a lot and I suggest you don't start with a lot of money. I started when I was 19. Worked all summer and saved $5k instead of spending it all over. Started with safe things where I didn't have much of a return like mutual funds that were very safe and moved on as I learned.

I partly retired at 30, but I don't go golfing or vacation every month.

Just learn by being smart, listen to what people are saying and apply it with common sense.

I didnt. I don't have as much money as you guys do to trade especially after buying a bike and a car (I'm only 20 and work part time since I'm still in school). So I wouldn't be able to invest and in turn make much of a return but once I save up for a bit I'll get into the bigger investments to make some short, large returns.

As of now I still only have 300 in oasis. But will soon invest more once I save a bit.

You don't need a lot and I suggest you don't start with a lot of money. I started when I was 19. Worked all summer and saved $5k instead of spending it all over. Started with safe things where I didn't have much of a return like mutual funds that were very safe and moved on as I learned.

I partly retired at 30, but I don't go golfing or vacation every month.

Just learn by being smart, listen to what people are saying and apply it with common sense.
Yeah I'm hoping to pay off my car asap so I can save and invest.

Yeah I'm hoping to pay off my car asap so I can save and invest.

What's the interest rate on your car? If it's 0% or 0.9% it might be cheaper to not make accelerated payments on the car and to pay it off when the loan term finishes. I would rather take the extra cash and put it in something that returns 5% so you make more money at the end.

We got some great rates on our business loans (3.75% fixed) so we started to use the money to pay them off for other investments that yield 10% return. If you have any higher than 5% interest loan except OSAP I would suggest paying those off first.

What's the interest rate on your car? If it's 0% or 0.9% it might be cheaper to not make accelerated payments on the car and to pay it off when the loan term finishes. I would rather take the extra cash and put it in something that returns 5% so you make more money at the end.

We got some great rates on our business loans (3.75% fixed) so we started to use the money to pay them off for other investments that yield 10% return. If you have any higher than 5% interest loan except OSAP I would suggest paying those off first.
Not quite sure my parents handled all that financial stuff, all I did was ask what the final amount is and transfer as much money as possible per month so I can pay it off asap. Sometimes 450 a month, sometimes 900 a month. It's been not even a year since I purchased the car and I have almost half of it paid off. At this rate it should be paid off in 3 years if life goes smooth.

In about 3 years I should start putting some serious money in investing

Not quite sure my parents handled all that financial stuff, all I did was ask what the final amount is and transfer as much money as possible per month so I can pay it off asap. Sometimes 450 a month, sometimes 900 a month. It's been not even a year since I purchased the car and I have almost half of it paid off. At this rate it should be paid off in 3 years if life goes smooth.

In about 3 years I should start putting some serious money in investing

Uhh I would start by learning what your financial commitments are and handling it yourself. I really hope it's not in your parents name. Anyways find out the interest rate. Interest rates have been good so if you got a great rate don't hurry to pay it off. You can also buy stocks or funds gradually. I would suggest buy some bank stocks such as TD or RBC as safer investments to learn. Don't put it off, if you can start today. Don't put serious money into the market when you know nothing about it. Give it to me instead, I'll blow it away slower on hookers and blow.

Retired at 30....retired at 40....dammit I guess I guess I ****ed up along the way somewhere here! 35 and still a way's off from retirement!

Personally I think paying off the loans is the best option. I recently paid off a 0% loan (about 9k) on a car because I wanted to free up the monthly cashflow. Also had a 3% loan that I paid off as well (10k or so) as I wanted a clean balance sheet with nothing but mortgage on it. Plus the cash flow of an extra $750/month really helps out on the aggressive saving for a downpayment. But each person's situation is different. I guess I'm from the old school where having any debt / liabilities is bad.

I've got a meeting with the bank (BMO Investorline) to set up an account on Saturday so looking forward to learning more about the market and hopefully making little bit of $ in the near future. Not sure what the proper strategy is at my age, but need to definitely start thinking more about retirement as company pensions are few and far in b/w and unless you can take care of yourself, no one else will.

Boots good on you with having a car, and bike at your age. Most friends of mine graduated with massive student loans that they're still paying off (12 years since graduation). I lived at home and have never had any type of debt except some car loan, which never lasted long.

Boots good on you with having a car, and bike at your age. Most friends of mine graduated with massive student loans that they're still paying off (12 years since graduation). I lived at home and have never had any type of debt except some car loan, which never lasted long.
Thanks my dude. Yeah I don't usually buy things unless I've got the money for them, the car was an exception because I was absolutely fed up with taking the bus and wanted some autonomy.

Edit

Last edited:
I agree with your approach only if you have a high paying job and that cash flow you accumulate will be sufficient to support you for 30 or 40 years. You are growing your assets which is a good thing, but you have to realize you will always have debt. You need to take a balanced approach of growing assets and minimizing debt at the same time. If you start now taking small steps you can make sure are better prepared in the future.

What a lot of people don't take into account is appreciation and deprecation of assets, inflation and purchasing power.

Some of your assets appreciate over time such as stocks or houses. You want to have more of these even if it takes you some debt to get them. This is also a form of investment. If you rent and get a house instead then I would highly suggest that over blowing money on the market where you are not comfortable.

Some of your assets depreciate and lose value over time such as electronics, new car etc... You should minimize purchases of these.

Inflation over time reduces the purchasing power that you have. So if start saving that $100 now and you make 1% interest in a savings account while inflation is at 3% your $100 is worth less over time. What you think you need to retire 10 years from now can change drastically with inflation as time progresses.

It's not hard to invest. Just buy some bank stocks or a house.

I still have a 30k student loan that I'm paying off as slowly as possible. I make the monthly payments and no more. I can pay it off now, but the interest is tax deductible so it works out to be something like 2.5%, but I'm making over 10% on my investments. The key is to make sure you have enough cash flow to support your debt while your assets grow over time. I try to put away 5% of monthly income into alternative investments while the majority of income is dedicated towards debt repayment. It takes time to get there. Been doing it for 12 years now and I'm living a very frugal life style. I also work less than 3 hrs a day.

Retired at 30....retired at 40....dammit I guess I guess I ****ed up along the way somewhere here! 35 and still a way's off from retirement!

Personally I think paying off the loans is the best option. I recently paid off a 0% loan (about 9k) on a car because I wanted to free up the monthly cashflow. Also had a 3% loan that I paid off as well (10k or so) as I wanted a clean balance sheet with nothing but mortgage on it. Plus the cash flow of an extra $750/month really helps out on the aggressive saving for a downpayment. But each person's situation is different. I guess I'm from the old school where having any debt / liabilities is bad.

I've got a meeting with the bank (BMO Investorline) to set up an account on Saturday so looking forward to learning more about the market and hopefully making little bit of $ in the near future. Not sure what the proper strategy is at my age, but need to definitely start thinking more about retirement as company pensions are few and far in b/w and unless you can take care of yourself, no one else will.

油井緋色;2271981 said:
Actually, look at RBC's precious metal mutual funds.

If Gary had it in something like that, he would've been laughing money.

........and for the record, I bought both my GS500 and GSX-R750 using gains from that fund.

I don't know what RBC's looked like, but I got a good close up of CIBC's p/m fund starting in the mid 70's.

I'm saying that being retired at 40 means nothing. Unless you're really just traveling and playing golf all day every day.

Seriously?

Oh ya, btw, **** golf, but I may just get back into it. I quit golfing when I retired.

I'm looking at inverse ETFs and there's something I'm not getting - if I buy into both a NASDAQ index fund and an "ultra-short" (3x) inverse-equity ETF like SQQQ, how can I lose money?

I'm probably misunderstanding the "3x" part.

I think I figured it out. Even if I allocate the money correctly, I'd be out the fees and stuff. It's not an arb.

Back
Top Bottom