Stainless Steel BrakeLines? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stainless Steel BrakeLines?

Audio

I'm riding a 2008 Kawi Ninja 500 which I absolutely love for its versatility and relatively low operating cost. I'm wondering if there are any riders out there who have upgraded their stock brake lines to braided stainless steel. What have been your real life impressions? The manufacturers of these products obviously tout the many benefits of upgrading. Was this a worthwhile upgrade for you and did you notice any improvement in braking feel/performance? I'm also wondering what a fair price would be to have these installed by a bike mechanic. Thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone!

Last edited:
Stainless braided lines are one of the best upgrades to add to any bike. Smart choice.
As for cost, probly around 150-200 for the lines and someone experienced on the forum (not pegassus or toysareforboys) can help you install for a better price than any dealer. :thumbup:

If your stock rubber brake hoses are in decent shape you will notice ZERO difference with steel lines.
If your stock hoses are sacked you may or may not notice a difference. (Easy way to tell: wrap your hand around the rubber of the hose near the caliper. Now pull the brake as hard as you can. If you feel the hose flex, it's sacked)
Everything else is advertising BS and wishful thinking.

I had hoses custom made (not a kit) for my EX500, if I remember right I paid $45 for the hose... and put it on myself.
The EX500 has FANTASTIC brakes... if they're set up correctly.
A floating rotor is a good upgrade for EX500 brakes.

If your stock rubber brake hoses are in decent shape you will notice ZERO difference with steel lines.

Not necessarily true... the added benefit is that stock rubber lines have a tendency to "stretch" after prolonged use on the road.... steel lines will prevent any squishy-ness from occurring when applying the brake lever after long or constant use (ie: rush hour traffic).

Not necessarily true... the added benefit is that stock rubber lines have a tendency to "stretch" after prolonged use on the road.... steel lines will prevent any squishy-ness from occurring when applying the brake lever after long or constant use (ie: rush hour traffic).

Yes necessarily true.
If your "stock rubber lines have a tendency to "stretch" after prolonged use on the road" then they're sacked and due for replacement... with steel, kevlar or OEM rubber.

Yes necessarily true.
If your "stock rubber lines have a tendency to "stretch" after prolonged use on the road" then they're sacked and due for replacement... with steel, kevlar or OEM rubber.

Thats your opinion... I have a different one and notice a difference between OEM lines and braided lines on brand new bikes right out of the dealer...Unless your bike already comes with something better then the average rubber braided hoses (BMW S1000RR comes to mind as it had better then your average rubber line when I built one), braided lines make a great improvement in most cases over the OEM lines...

Unless you see no benefit in lines that do not expand and like spongy brakes that fade

Its not required, and a lot of riders may never need or benefit from them due to their riding style and needs. Personally I put braided lines on every bike I own, its one of the first things to be changed

Last edited:
I changed all my Hydraulic lines to Steel Braided on my VFR.

I ordered all lines from Ebay. 4 Lines. 3 for Brakes and 1 for the clutch. Noticed a big difference. Levers feel better.

Also did the same for my buddies old CBR. He loves them.

Thats your opinion... I have a different one and notice a difference between OEM lines and braided lines on brand new bikes right out of the dealer...Unless your bike already comes with something better then the average rubber braided hoses (BMW S1000RR comes to mind as it had better then your average rubber line when I built one), braided lines make a great improvement in most cases over the OEM lines...

Unless you see no benefit in lines that do not expand and like spongy brakes that fade

Its not required, and a lot of riders may never need or benefit from them due to their riding style and needs. Personally I put braided lines on every bike I own, its one of the first things to be changed

I agree. There's nothing "wrong" with stock rubber lines. They will lock the wheel no problem obviously. It's more about consistency and feel.

Personally, I upgrade the pads first, the difference is amazing. Get ZZ rated and you can now stop on a 2 finger grab. When the stock lines get tired, then switch to SS lines. For street use, its the way to go and you dont have to bleed the brakes when you change pads.

glen @ fs motorcycle . com

hooks the **** up for Speigler's...have been going to him for my last line purchases...amazing price, in his shop in 1-2 days.

+1000000000 for glen :)

Kiss ***... :)
you wish...
Promoting a guy who has helped me out and has shown himself to be a upstanding business man. If that's kissing *** then I'm all up in that ****

+1 for Glen@fsmotorcycle. There are other shops much much closer to where I live but I prefer to make the trek for the service with a smile :D

Back
Top Bottom