Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

Well I did it the 'smart' way....

i bought a kawasaki ninja 250, got bored for it in a month, then sold it for a gsxr 600 srad.

i loved my kawi, taught me a lot of throttle control and general riding.

Now with my gsxr 600, i am not bored, had it for a month, I think im going to keep her for a while.

Hey, we shouldn't discourage those who chose supersports as their first bike...they are a great source for 'like new, hardly used' gear. ;)

I couldn't resist posting because I have a buddy that is bent on an 08 R6 (not surprising because they really are beauties) and he doesn't even have a license, and there is nothing I can say to change his mind.

Most peoples' views one way or another are fair. Although I must agree that the danger of a sport bike as a first bike are the panic situations given a their quick response to rider commands.

Big heavy cruisers are also not that great to start on given their weight and lack of response. I know, no one here is recommending that either, but I think too many people buy big *** Harleys as first rides too.

I'm not a super rider by any stretch, but having ridden many bikes over the years, I would tend to agree a sporty 250 would be a reasonable start, but I must say, I had an RZ350 that flew like a bat outa hell and could smoke the average 600 rider with ease.

I've had friends start with big *** choppers and watched them stall and drop the bikes on a turn, and had other friends flip a sporty because they panic and twist. Thankfully, both with minor injuries to the body and major injuries to the ego and pocket books.

So, I tend to recommend 500cc-ish (for ego only) dual-sport Enduro style bikes to my friends as well given their lighter weight and softer more forgiving acceleration, and their ability to ride off road (probably the safest place to start really).

The reality is people can start on any bike. The probability of an accident and severity of same is what changes with their choice. Insurance actuaries have figured this out (they probably don't ride though...boring bunch).

Now having said all that, if you really want to learn how to ride on the street, go ride in Venezuela for a few weeks...trust me (100cc Honda for three years), it won't matter what size of bike you have, your street riding will improve. The problem will be fighting the urge to split lanes in traffic when you come back :p!

Great site everyone, too bad the season is coming to a close.

My first bike was a NORCO & then a CCM (great handling) now ZX-14

HAHAHAHHAHA.... that statement has to make my day, a ZX-14, im guessing you did a lot of counter-steering and avoidance techniques on the CCM.. not much different in weight either 40 pounds v. 400, close :)

I have been riding for 14 years and I have gone from a 50cc to a 125cc to a 350cc to a 500cc and now a 600cc. I found every stage of the learning curve had it's own unique element of fun. I'm now 32 and I want a busa 1300 or a zx-14 for the comfortable long rides, but I can't help but feel that I am going to be missing the experience of owning a liter bike. My advice to new riders is Don't rush your experience The funnest bike is the one you can handle easily. If you are new use that as an excuse to buy a "beginner bike" you will learn more in five days on it than you would on a 600 in a whole summer. Then when you graduate through your first stage, you can confidently call the newbie with the zx-14 a POSER

I personally think that sportbike such as a CBR600 should not be a problem for a relatively new rider. Its not the bike that will kill you, its how you ride it. If you ride beyond your capabilities on any bike or car then you will eventually crash. Respect the bike and ride smart. Anyone who has been on a bike such as the CBR600 will know that it has no balls until 9000rpm, then all hell breaks loose. Understanding the bikes capabilities and your riding skills are key. I know many people that have started out buying a bike such as a 250 and was bored in a week. I would suggest buying a bike that they are not going to be bored with in a weeks time and also take some riding courses to improve your skills. Bikes always deserve respect no matter what size it may be. I would suggest that a new person buy a used bike, dropping and scratch a brand new one sucks!
Be smart, ride safe!
RESPECT!

I personally think that sportbike such as a CBR600 should not be a problem for a relatively new rider. Its not the bike that will kill you, its how you ride it. If you ride beyond your capabilities on any bike or car then you will eventually crash. Respect the bike and ride smart. Anyone who has been on a bike such as the CBR600 will know that it has no balls until 9000rpm, then all hell breaks loose. Understanding the bikes capabilities and your riding skills are key. I know many people that have started out buying a bike such as a 250 and was bored in a week. I would suggest buying a bike that they are not going to be bored with in a weeks time and also take some riding courses to improve your skills. Bikes always deserve respect no matter what size it may be. I would suggest that a new person buy a used bike, dropping and scratch a brand new one sucks!
Be smart, ride safe!
RESPECT!

My buddy's first bike was an RC51. No kidding. But he took things easy at first and ended up just fine. In fact, he got bitten by the track-day bug and made the RC track-only...

However, I don't think it's wise for the majority of the people out there to start riding with such an extreme machine.... my friend took a fairly mature approach to riding.

I started on a 600 and feel I should still be on one now, to be honest, (today's 600's are out-of-this-world good).

Would an SV650S be considered too much for a beginner? They seem to be very well liked, they're relatively easy to find for sale, and the newer models are fuel injected. The performance figures seem somewhat daunting though, standing 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds seems rather quick, as it's pretty much on par with the upper echelon of modern supercars. Not that I'm afraid of speed, or think that I'll be stupid with it, but I'm just wondering. Should people really be learning to ride on something that will dust a Ferrari F430?

This is exactly what I was thinking... I've already got my M1 exit course booked for May 2nd :D, and I've been researching into a lot of starter bikes... I'm not a big guy, so I don't think I'll ever want to go past a 600cc anyway, but a supersport is what I eventually wanna ride...

I've been thinking a LOT about either an SV650 (NOT the S, the 'standard' one has differnt riding position), or a GS500... can't decide, but after reading that article, I'm leaning towards the GS.

I guess I'll make my decision based on how well I do at the course, and maybe if my gf or friends let me try their bikes.

I completely agree, eventhough I've been riding dirt bikes for about 3 years now. My first street bike was last season which was 1984 Nighthawk. I just purchased a GSXR 600 and to tell the truth, I am a bit scared to ride it....

good thing it said "Sportbikes", not "Super Sport Bikes"... i was worried there for a second

hahahaha, good one. I started on a 600 and everything was fine, it depends on the person, but if oyu are an idiot, you will also get in trouble on a 250.

I just got a 04 CBR600 F4i and I'm scared ******** of what it can do too but I'll be careful and won't ride it until my M2 course starts in March 26.
It'll have to sit in the garage for a month.

Throttle control, clutch control and shifting control. get those down man and you'll be fine.

Just like riding a standard car vs automatic. Once you know your controls properly you'll be o.k.

The guys I've seen get in trouble got scared and grabbed fists full of brakes or didnt down shift and stall.

Just be patient and remember, you dont need to go fast on a bike for people to envy the **** out of you. Enjoy it.

Haha, thanks buddy!
I'll for sure make sure I ride REALLY REALLY slow for the begining.
I had to get it safety certified and they said that the tires had to be replaced.
They cost me $560!! some sort of Bridgestone tires (with installation and everything) and than after he took them off he told me he needed to replace the baring (I guess I can trust him since its the honda dealership)
next time I replace I'm buying them off of ebay. I'm guessing with first bikes you always get ripped.
I'll need to replace the brakes soon too.
Apparently the guy I bought off of used the stock tires for 5 years and still had some tread left (reached 9500 km) which means that he was really easy on it.
By far the best 5000 i've ever spent! Just dieing for the snow to melt and hit the parking lots!! hahah

BTW This forum is awesome

I'M new to this site and riding for about 40 years. What this means is I'm still learning how to ride. Meaning? Every time I read about, talk about or think about bikes I learn something. Forty years ago all I wanted was a Sears minibike. Two years of riding all I wanted was to go faster. Bought a Yamaha 60cc mini enduro. Graduated to 72 honda 500cc (loved it). After many years of riding finally took a bike course to finally get a license.
You see I finally scared the $#!& out of myself, checked the EGO & learned to ride properly.
All I hear, see & read is how mind blowing fast bikes have become, how well they handle & stop. I haven't found out if the human mind and body has progressed as far as bikes.
Something I have found out is that a big ego, small (inexperienced) mind and a fast bike can be lethal to a rider & car drivers don't care or look for you. I think everyone should ride & enjoy, also return home safe.
There are some awesome small bikes out there, find them, ride them & who cares who has the biggest, baddest, fastest bike. When your dead know one will care.

Be safe & ride!

SPQ

Excellent site, some great info! If you go to Mosport and see short, bald old corner marshall on an old 750k, say hello.

CC

Back
Top Bottom