Sportbike Riders: Would you ever switch to a Cruiser? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbike Riders: Would you ever switch to a Cruiser?

Would you buy a cruiser?

• Yes, I would replace my sport bike.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Yes, but only as a second bike.

Votes: 41 30.4%
  • NO

Votes: 60 44.4%

• Total voters
az-bike-week-008.jpg

its sexier
122_1002_01_o+women_riders_daytona_bike_week+front_view.jpg

victory hammer
victory-hammer-s-4_1280x0w.jpg

victory-hammer-5_1600x0w.jpg

this is after the sport cruisers
really catching on tho
wp_1600x1200_vision_street_l.jpg

or this, im digging the saddle bags/trunk, adds style.
Victory_Crossroads_Rear3-4.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm not too sure how the ones in my mind perform, but if the Honda Shadow 750 I tested was any good representation of cruisers, I'd steer clear of them.

But anyway, in terms of affordability: Honda Magna V45 or Yamaha Virago 750/1100

Dream cruiser: Ducati Diavel

I might be getting out of SS bikes in general next season. Can't realistically use the power without doing track days and I have no money for that...

I might be getting out of SS bikes in general next season. Can't realistically use the power without doing track days and I have no money for that...

600 supersports are the worst offenders when it comes to crappy unusable power for the street. You have a 100hp bike but barely half of it is available until like 8000rpm, and you don't see the peak until well over 10k. Not only that, but you're not even in the meaty part of the powerband until you're almost doing highway speeds. Total crap for light-to-light and city riding.

You'd change your tune on a 1000, and especially a v-twin. And not necessarily a supersport either. Bikes like the V-Rod for instance have tons of torque and feel waaaay faster than a 600 around town. The difference in power delivery is ridiculous.

this worries me coming from a sportbike, but its time to simmer down.

im not just post whoring, i will be getting a cruiser as a next bike, as in finished with sportbikes.

victory-hammer-s.jpg

600 supersports are the worst offenders when it comes to crappy unusable power for the street. You have a 100hp bike but barely half of it is available until like 8000rpm, and you don't see the peak until well over 10k. Not only that, but you're not even in the meaty part of the powerband until you're almost doing highway speeds. Total crap for light-to-light and city riding.

You'd change your tune on a 1000, and especially a v-twin. And not necessarily a supersport either. Bikes like the V-Rod for instance have tons of torque and feel waaaay faster than a 600 around town. The difference in power delivery is ridiculous.

You're probably right on all points.

I'm currently doing 90% of my riding in the city and it absolutely sucks. Things that bother me most: the ergos, heat, and crap fuel mileage. I love the acceleration and styling but it ends there. If the cruisers I'm eyeballing don't do it for me, then I'm going back to naked/half fairing standard bikes.

Actually I'd probably buy a tourer or sport-tourer first, rather than a cruiser. My back doesn't much like the "Harley Slump" over extended distances.

Correction, I'd just do what I did already:

R6050579.JPG

Oh dear God @ post #21.

It's an age thing. A lot of my peers went through the sportbike phase until they hit mid to late 30's and early 40's. Hell, I'm 46 in a week and I love sportbikes, but lately there's been a nagging desire when I see a Victory Hammer or a Harley Fat Bob or '48. You younger guys can say you'll never go cruiser, but I'd love to place bets on your choice 20 years from now.

no..I wouldn't switch to a cruiser.. I love my sportbike way too much... I love the position..and just the overall performance of my bike. :)

I still don't know enough about motorcycles to say which one I would like. I do know though that I don't like forward controls and that there would have to be a passenger backrest.

I ride a naked/standard bike. I feel like the middle child in a family where the older brother gets all of the new things and the younger sister gets even more new things and attention because she's the baby and a girl. What am I, chopped liver? I ride, too. And my pipes aren't obnoxiously loud, my bike has a low rate of theft, is reliable, reasonably light and reasonably powerful. And I can take my bike home to mom without her having a heart attack.

The only thing I envy are windscreens. But as I understand it, sometimes a windscreen is worse than none because for tall folks like me it just funnels all of the wind onto your face.

Anyway, to answer the question: I really appreciate the aesthetics and performance of a sports bike, but the ergonomics and impracticality of actually owning one are enough to scare me off. And cruisers? My biggest objection is the high-up handlebars; I might be able to get used to having my feet forward on the bikes. The chopper-type cruisers with no rear suspension or pipes so loud that your eardrums feel like dying when the bike is idling are right out.

Before I ever go into riding I used to think that cruisers were simply ugly. I always wanted a sports bike and that's what I own now. However, after falling in love with the sport, I would LOVE to own a cruiser, especially for touring/long distance riding. The seat/seating position on my bike can be numbing after a couple hours of riding. I wouldn't mind owning a cruiser at all, but as someone else mentioned It would be a second bike not my only. There are some beautiful cruisers out there, to me it's just a matter of finding the right style.

Back
Top Bottom