Sport Bike Insurance -- Who are you insured with? How much do you pay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sport Bike Insurance -- Who are you insured with? How much do you pay?

VifferFun

Site Supporter
Hey guys!

Some of you might remember me from years ago where I used to post here a lot, but I took a hiatus due to a lack of time. State Farm used to be the #1 insurer for Sport bikes, but they were acquired by Desjardins a number of years ago. I'm just curious for everyone with Sport Bikes -- where are you getting your insurance from (and how much are you paying)?

I've always enjoyed answering people's questions and hearing their frustrations! I'm interested to know how difficult/expensive it is to find Sport insurance at the moment.

It would be especially helpful if you copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the table below and fill out as much as you feel comfortable doing by simply overwriting the example I provided in red text :)

Thanks!

INFORMATION REQUESTED​
RESPONSE​
Annual Premium
$2000
Company on Pink Slip (i.e. not the Broker)
Desjardins
Year
Make
Suzuki
Model
GSX-R1000
First 8 Characters of your VIN (i.e. NOT including the serial number)
JT1GT74A
Collision Coverage included?
Yes
Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) Coverage included?
Yes
Rider Age
Years Riding (since M1)
Any convictions in the last 3 years?
No
Any Claims in the last 6 years?
No
City, Province
Toronto, ON
Other Products with the same insurer (e.g. Car, Home, Condo, Tenant, etc.)
Car, House
Anything else you want to note?
No

Last edited:
Filling out a form on my phone is not happening, but my bikes are all through NFP (broker) and they have a selection of companies to choose from. In my case, Aviva for the bigger bikes and Echelon for the smaller ones. Been hearing that insurance for >1000cc is hard to get. House and car are also with Aviva.

Hey guys!

Some of you might remember me from years ago where I used to post here a lot, but I took a hiatus due to a lack of time. State Farm used to be the #1 insurer for Sport bikes, but they were acquired by Desjardins a number of years ago. I'm just curious for everyone with Sport Bikes -- where are you getting your insurance from (and how much are you paying)?

I've always enjoyed answering people's questions and hearing their frustrations! I'm interested to know how difficult/expensive it is to find Sport insurance at the moment.

It would be especially helpful if you copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the table below and fill out as much as you feel comfortable doing by simply overwriting the example I provided in red text :)

Thanks!

INFORMATION REQUESTED​
RESPONSE​
Annual Premium
$2000
Company on Pink Slip (i.e. not the Broker)
Desjardins
Year
Make
Suzuki
Model
GSX-R1000
JT1GT74A
Collision Coverage included?
Yes
Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) Coverage included?
Yes
Rider Age
Years Riding (since M1)
Any convictions in the last 3 years?
No
Any Claims in the last 6 years?
No
City, Province
Toronto, ON
Other Products with the same insurer (e.g. Car, Home, Condo, Tenant, etc.)
Car, House
Anything else you want to note?
No
Welcome back. Good to have you around again.

Thanks! I'm really interested to hear if people are still struggling to get insurance for that Sport, SS, Sport-Touring, etc. State Farm was the go-to, as well as TD for older riders, but I'm not sure where people go with their Sports today.

Just signed up with Wawanesa. Bundled with a commuting car, summer car and house.
Full coverage on everything with $2m liability.
$632 - ‘17 Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4 RR
$420 - ‘12 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Riding for 20+ years, no claims, clean record, live about halfway between Waterloo and Stratford.

I think your table is missing some other questions that I assume are relevant since the insurers always ask:

Liability coverage?
Separate umbrella liability policy?
Accident forgiveness surcharge included?
Any customizations?
Motorcycle value
Usage (commuting or pleasure)
Commuting distance
Annual mileage
Marital status
Collision and/or comprehensive deductible(s)
Discount for motorcycle course?
Discount for professional associations or employee benefits?

Just signed up with Wawanesa. Bundled with a commuting car, summer car and house.

Riding for 20+ years, no claims, clean record, live about halfway between Waterloo and Stratford.

Nice bikes! And wow, those are some great rates, especially for the Aprilia which looks like quite a beast! Are other people getting their Sport insurance through Wawanesa as well? I wonder if they have a minimum age/experience requirement before insuring someone on a Sport bike?

I think your table is missing some other questions that I assume are relevant since the insurers always ask:

Liability coverage?
Separate umbrella liability policy?
Accident forgiveness surcharge included?
Any customizations?
Motorcycle value
Usage (commuting or pleasure)
Commuting distance
Annual mileage
Marital status
Collision and/or comprehensive deductible(s)
Discount for motorcycle course?
Discount for professional associations or employee benefits?

Thanks, those are all great questions as well, but for my purposes the items in my table are the most useful. I was trying to keep it quick and easy for people :)

Thanks, those are all great questions as well, but for my purposes the items in my table are the most useful. I was trying to keep it quick and easy for people :)

OK.

INFORMATION REQUESTEDRESPONSE
Annual Premium$677
Company on Pink Slip (i.e. not the Broker)Desjardins/Certas
Year2002
MakeDucati
Model998
Collision Coverage included?No
Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) Coverage included?No, add $90 and requires appraisal
Rider Age50+
Years Riding (since M1)30+
Any convictions in the last 3 years?No
Any Claims in the last 6 years?No
City, ProvinceMississauga, ON
Other Products with the same insurer (e.g. Car, Home, Condo, Tenant, etc.)2 Cars, House, $1M Umbrella liability
Anything else you want to note?No

OK.

INFORMATION REQUESTEDRESPONSE
Annual Premium$677
Company on Pink Slip (i.e. not the Broker)Desjardins/Certas
Year2002
MakeDucati
Model998
Collision Coverage included?No
Comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) Coverage included?No, add $90 and requires appraisal
Rider Age50+
Years Riding (since M1)30+
Any convictions in the last 3 years?No
Any Claims in the last 6 years?No
City, ProvinceMississauga, ON
Other Products with the same insurer (e.g. Car, Home, Condo, Tenant, etc.)2 Cars, House, $1M Umbrella liability
Anything else you want to note?No
Wow, great rate for the Ducati! I love that you're 50+ and still ride a SS! You deserve a great rate with 30+ years of claim-free riding experience :)

Downtown Toronto, 16+ yrs riding, no tickets or claims
2015 BMW S1000R - $897/year

Insured with Wawanesa through NFP Moto.
For quote email to: moto@nfp.com

Yep, those are really good rates there.... really good (y)

+1 for a bit more details on rates like $240/year for gsxr750...
is it bundled with 10cars and 2houses? or are you 100yo with 90 years of experience living above polar circle? :)
if not the case and you are in GTA - post your insurer/agent please, i'll used it for my renewal quotes...
Cheers

is it bundled with 10cars and 2houses? or are you 100yo with 90 years of experience living above polar circle? :)
if not the case and you are in GTA - post your insurer/agent please, i'll used it for my renewal quotes...
Cheers
Hes not in Ontario IIRC. Out east enjoying life.

Cheers
Hes not in Ontario IIRC. Out east enjoying life.
:cool: ahh that figures. Rates in Ontario vs East Coast are night and day.... that rate is closer to what it would be on a Vespa in downtown Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom