Speeding ticket City of Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding ticket City of Toronto

jemberlin

Got nabbed this morning on Lakeshore going 72 in a 50 zone. I was pulling around and passing a slow car when I got nabbed. Cop was pleasant enough and when he told me I have three options and to look them over I told him I'll just pay the ticket. He encouraged me to not do so and to look at the options and do some research. I'm not sure what he was alluding to (the last time I was pulled over was about 15 years ago) as I'm not familiar with the process. I'm guilty so I'm not going to fight it so the only other option is to pay, which is recommended not doing, or Early Resolution.

Has anyone gone the Early Resolution route? Is it simply a meeting with Justice of the Peace where you plead your case and hope to get the fine reduced? I don't see anything on the ticket about points so I guess I'd inquire about that as well.

Suggestions?

Got nabbed this morning on Lakeshore going 72 in a 50 zone. I was pulling around and passing a slow car when I got nabbed. Cop was pleasant enough and when he told me I have three options and to look them over I told him I'll just pay the ticket. He encouraged me to not do so and to look at the options and do some research. I'm not sure what he was alluding to (the last time I was pulled over was about 15 years ago) as I'm not familiar with the process. I'm guilty so I'm not going to fight it so the only other option is to pay, which is recommended not doing, or Early Resolution.

Has anyone gone the Early Resolution route? Is it simply a meeting with Justice of the Peace where you plead your case and hope to get the fine reduced? I don't see anything on the ticket about points so I guess I'd inquire about that as well.

Suggestions?
Yeah early resolution is where you plead guilty for a reduced charge/fine. Insurance won't care at your speed, conviction is a conviction. You'll meet the Prosecutor, no the JP.

If you care about the fine amount then plead, otherwise i'd just pay it.

That being said, if you have time and want to see how the system works, feel free to fight it. But keep expectations of beating the charge low.

We just had a recent thread about this too;

Suggestions?
Early resolution is with the prosecutor not jp. Guilty with an explanation, possibly a reduced charge or fine. Cop wants you to choose court as it's an easy gig for them that pays well. If you are planning in pleading guilty, I'd just remit payment and skip the hassle of early resolution (unless there is the possibility of getting a non-moving violation instead like fail to produce insurance which has no effect in your premiums). I fight them all (when court isn't far away) as an interesting exercise.

Isn't >15kph a demerit point thing?
Try to get reduced to 10kph over.

Am I the only one?
Only people who get a lot of tickets or those who has positions that require a clean abstract (government, instructing, courier, etc).

Does a clean abstract mean no points or no convictions?
Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both.

MOT wants low->no demerit points and no criminal convictions of any manner.

Guy at CP got convicted of using a cell phone while driving, he's sweating (3 demerits + 3 day suspension).

I feel insurance pain just reading this thread.... that's the worst part of this.

If you are so inclined take the early resolution route. Some minor speeding like yours have been reduced to a municipal bylaw violation think like prohibited turn. You suggest, same fine but better on your driving record.

ontario.ca

How demerit points work

You don’t “lose” demerit points on your driving record. You start with zero points and gain points for being convicted of breaking certain traffic laws.

Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date. If you collect enough points, you can lose your driver’s licence.

You can also get demerit points on your Ontario’s driver’s licence when you violate driving laws in:

• other Canadian provinces and territories
  • the State of New York
  • the State of Michigan
Ontario has no say/ jurisdiction in other Provinces let alone the two States. It's none of their business!

ontario.ca

How demerit points work

You don’t “lose” demerit points on your driving record. You start with zero points and gain points for being convicted of breaking certain traffic laws.

Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the offence date. If you collect enough points, you can lose your driver’s licence.

You can also get demerit points on your Ontario’s driver’s licence when you violate driving laws in:

• other Canadian provinces and territories
  • the State of New York
  • the State of Michigan
Ontario has no say/ jurisdiction in other Provinces let alone the two States. It's none of their business!
Funny fact but your insurance Co goes by conviction date some folks have been known to use the courts to open this window to game the system.

Funny fact but your insurance Co goes by conviction date some folks have been known to use the courts to open this window to game the system.
Yes. If you get a really bad one, like one of those ones that make you have to change insurance providers, get quotes the week before your conviction with other companies and have the policy start the day of your conviction.

Your new policy starts at midnight before your conviction so you're paying clean driving record prices for year one. By the time your renewal comes up you're only paying two years of bad insurance instead of three.

Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom