Speed cameras in Spain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed cameras in Spain

bigpoppa

Day 1
In calafell,
Just south of Barcelona, the flight and airport sucked ,
The rugged orange beauty of the landscape and mountains is amazing, the roads are perfect as well.
Lots of riders and scooters on the road.

We arrived in calafell and it reminds me of many other quaint towns from the old world, tight old streets, paved with stones, balconies everywhere, shops, restaurants and bars within spitting distance of each other. As we walk to our apartment, I notice the ocean on my left, visible through the side streets.

The entire landscape reminds me of Mars, but with palm trees.

Had pizza, pretty good I have to say, probably the best I've ever had.

The town is alive at night, everyone is walking around on the beachwalk.
The beach Reminds me of Miami

The climate is pretty nice, definitely warmer than Canada.

Learning Spanish is worth it.

Compress_20230930_115246_6953.jpgCompress_20230930_115246_6794.jpgCompress_20230930_115247_7116.jpg

Last edited:
Run a few stops and find out 😂
And get back to us

Nah just joking, me I wouldn’t risk it

Last edited:
Got fined on one of my trips when I rented a car. They mailed the ticket to my home. Has a nice photo of the car and plate etc. Never paid it. Been back several times, nobody asked anything about it. They could have upped their game by now though.

Driving in the cities is pure madness, not because of traffic or drivers. Streets are not signed very well or at all.
Outside the major cities is much better.

Where are you going, Spain is one of my favourite places to visit. I just found out they have this Hollywood town around Andalusia region.

Gonna be spending some time in Spain, this includes riding, noticed on the map a bunch of speed cameras… I know the euros are draconian about that sort of thing.. what’s the speed camera situation like? Can they collect on tickets?

At least as of a couple years ago, speed camera locations in rural areas are signed. Something like this Warning spanish signal for road speed control. View from the inside of the car Stock Photo - Alamy

If the word "tramo" is in there, it is an average-speed camera over the next whatever distance that the sign says on it. You'll only see these on main roads and motorways.

In built-up areas, cameras can be anywhere.

In rural areas, if you pay attention to the signs, you will be fine. Speed limit on mountain roads is 40 km/h, which is widely ignored.

I loved riding in Spain.

In Portugal this summer the car rental company cautioned that there were many speed cameras and radar spots. That the tickets are very expensive and that I'd be paying for them one.

Apparently not the on the controlled access highways, but coming into nearly every village there was one on secondary roads.

Got fined on one of my trips when I rented a car. They mailed the ticket to my home. Has a nice photo of the car and plate etc. Never paid it. Been back several times, nobody asked anything about it. They could have upped their game by now though.

Driving in the cities is pure madness, not because of traffic or drivers. Streets are not signed very well or at all.
Outside the major cities is much better.

Where are you going, Spain is one of my favourite places to visit. I just found out they have this Hollywood town around Andalusia region.
I don't know if the still do it, but a few years back I learned you can get some really expensive Autobahn tickets in Germany. They were sent to the auto rental company who charged my credit card.

Stung a bit.

Just received a collections letter from a canadian collection company for a photo traffic ticket(s) from Tuscany in October 2019. It has now grown from 90 Euros to 480 and not certain if it is for one or both tickets.

They do not give up and sent me many letters and threats and have been to Europe since but unless you get nabbed again in the same place. Hopefully, police have more important matters than collecting fines outside of their jurisdiction.

Also be aware that if you are an EU citizen and have a car registered to you, many but not all EU countries have receptical agreements and you will have to pay the fines when you renew your plates or TUV etc.

Eurocar released my contact info and charged me for that!
What prompted me was 2 charges on my Visa statement from Eurocar in the height of COVID shutdowns for a total of 90 Euros. I thought Eurocar had paid the tickets but soon learned that they was the charge Eurocar charged for providing my contact info to the respective traffic enforcement . Visa credited me back for the amounts as i am a long standing customer of theirs.

Enjoy your time in Spain.

Do you speak Spanish, BP?

If you want to practice or have questions let me know. I will try to do my best with my broken English.

Do you speak Spanish, BP?

If you want to practice or have questions let me know. I will try to do my best with my broken English.
gracias hermano,

Puedo hablar poco, pero esta raro y mal

Y si nada más funciona ahí está el traductor de google

Google translate is a very handy tool when travelling. That's not the english translation of the phrase above.

Y si nada más funciona ahí está el traductor de google

Google translate is a very handy tool when travelling. That's not the english translation of the phrase above.

Im old school ;)

Day 2
Calafell

Spend the day mostly doing kid stuff at the local amusement park
Compress_20230930_194951_1919.jpg
It is interesting that everything closes in the afternoon here, only to reopen in the evening.
Compress_20230930_194951_1654.jpg
No riders are wearing gear here, it seems everyone has helmets and nothing else.

No vapers either, everyone is smoking cigarettes.

Last edited:
Day 3
Sitges

Spend the day traveling around sitges, its between home base and barcelona, we went to see a museum in town.

It seems many of these towns around the coast are walkable and connected, we do a bunch of walking then take the train, then walk around some more.
Compress_20231001_192848_8147.jpg
Saw the museum, the beach and the town, this place seems more impressive than the one we're staying in, lots of old tiny streets, buildings and windows painted in cool colors, i regularly saw dedicated bike parking.

Compress_20231001_192847_7337.jpg

Compress_20231001_192846_6799.jpg

They are various flags all over, oddly enough none of spain, I'm assuming they're of local city states with which the locals identify.

Had some pizza for lunch, it was outstanding. Not a traditional flavor, but man it was delicious.
Compress_20231001_192848_8457.jpg

It seems like my brain works differently when speaking English and Spanish.

On English it feels like a super high speed fiber optic dsl connection running on a quantum computer, on spanish it feels like I'm running on 1998 AOL dial-up, with a computer that needs a buffer, so input(understanding) and output(speaking)are super slow, but I'm getting by.

Seeing lots of scooters, naked bikes, adv bikes, 0 cruisers.

The art is described in multiple languages, apparently none in "spanish"Compress_20231001_192847_7691.jpg

Compress_20231001_193830_0732.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like my brain works differently when speaking English and Spanish.

On English it feels like a super high speed fiber optic dsl connection running on a quantum computer, on spanish it feels like I'm running on 1998 AOL dial-up, with a computer that needs a buffer, so input(understanding) and output(speaking)are super slow, but I'm getting by.
To me it happens the same thing, just the other way around.

The art is described in multiple languages, apparently none in "spanish"
I remember when I was a kid, in my school the teacher told us that we Mexicans speak "Castellaño". She didn't explain the differences, but that is what I was taught.

I just googled it and the official dictionary for the Spanish language (RAE) says (roughly translated) "Castellaño is a romance dialect originating from the Castilla region, from which the Spanish language fundamentally comes". I think there are different languages/dialects depending on the regions, that is why you see Castellano rather than Spanish.

So in summary, outside of Spain, Castellaño = Spanish.

Perfect blue Spanish skies. I'm sure the weather is great right now, it usually is.

To me it happens the same thing, just the other way around.

I remember when I was a kid, in my school the teacher told us that we Mexicans speak "Castellaño". She didn't explain the differences, but that is what I was taught.

I just googled it and the official dictionary for the Spanish language (RAE) says (roughly translated) "Castellaño is a romance dialect originating from the Castilla region, from which the Spanish language fundamentally comes". I think there are different languages/dialects depending on the regions, that is why you see Castellano rather than Spanish.

So in summary, outside of Spain, Castellaño = Spanish.
I think your english is much better than my spanish!

I have actually accepted the fact that I speak what I call "mexican spanish" because all the slang that I know is from mexico so.. 🤷‍♂️

Perfect blue Spanish skies. I'm sure the weather is great right now, it usually is.
highs of 25, lows of 20, 0 rain.

It's hot every day in the part of Spain i was at for a wk.

And of course with no rain, Do not drink the tap water.

Back
Top Bottom