something new for e-bikes? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

something new for e-bikes?

Not to mention the belief that you can ride one while your license is suspended (I met 2 guys with DUI's under that assumption, how many of these 2 wheeled menaces are impaired?). And they're not the ecological gift from the gods everyone thinks they are.

I think it might be better to remove the 32km/h limit, license and insure them. Only allow the motor assisted bicycles with min 20" wheels mentioned before, as a loop hole. Maybe create an electric class of motorcycle and scooter to promote zero emissions if that's the goal.

if they are on the roads then they take the test and pay insurance like the rest of us

Not to mention the belief that you can ride one while your license is suspended (I met 2 guys with DUI's under that assumption, how many of these 2 wheeled menaces are impaired?). And they're not the ecological gift from the gods everyone thinks they are.

I think it might be better to remove the 32km/h limit, license and insure them. Only allow the motor assisted bicycles with min 20" wheels mentioned before, as a loop hole. Maybe create an electric class of motorcycle and scooter to promote zero emissions if that's the goal.

I like your wording. I am under the impression that a suspension prevents the convicted party from operating any motorized vehicle. Confirm anyone?

if they are on the roads then they take the test and pay insurance like the rest of us

To get the ball rolling I would accept, for starters, a test system not unlike the boaters license. It can be taken on line or at a dealers. Being cynical I suspect some sellers tell potential customers that anything goes. Insurance would be mandatory.

I like your wording. I am under the impression that a suspension prevents the convicted party from operating any motorized vehicle. Confirm anyone?

There were 2 incidents locally where impaired driving charges were laid against e-bike riders. One was so hammered he kept falling over on the bike. There was no mention of operating while under suspension, although there's a reason we call them DUI bikes, since most of the operators are suspended.

If you are suspended it is illegal to ride a ebike and you can be charged for riding an ebike

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Help out a dumb guy here, if no license is required to operate, e bike, bicycle or a horse drawn wagon. How can a suspension prevent the operation of an E bike? I think we have a gray zone here. Which corner of the HTA is this covered in?

Help out a dumb guy here, if no license is required to operate, e bike, bicycle or a horse drawn wagon. How can a suspension prevent the operation of an E bike? I think we have a gray zone here. Which corner of the HTA is this covered in?

The gist of it lies in the differences between the definitions of a "motor vehicle" in the HTA and the CC

if i'm reading that correctly, riding a e bike could allow you to be charged under the CC as operating under the influence, however section 21 includes in the last line penalties and restrictions under the HTA do not apply. Interesting.

DUI is criminal code and is based on a motorized vehicle, it does not care about the hta so to speak... Ebikes are motorized. A regular bike is not so it is public intoxication, not DUI.

So as I read it, you can ride an e-bike with a DUI conviction, just like a regular bike. BUT if you are caught riding an e-bike while drunk you can get a DUI...

Totally f'ed up IMHO...

DUI is criminal code and is based on a motorized vehicle, it does not care about the hta so to speak... Ebikes are motorized. A regular bike is not so it is public intoxication, not DUI.

So as I read it, you can ride an e-bike with a DUI conviction, just like a regular bike. BUT if you are caught riding an e-bike while drunk you can get a DUI...

Totally f'ed up IMHO...

I read differently.

From the link.

It depends on the particular circumstances that lead to the licence suspension. If you have a driving prohibition order related to a conviction under the Criminal Code of Canada, you cannot legally operate an e-bike.

Back
Top Bottom