So I bought a bike with a dent in frame and cant get safety | GTAMotorcycle.com

So I bought a bike with a dent in frame and cant get safety

DjEyeQ

Im looking for some genuine advice please, so before slamming me or anything i'm well aware that I fudged this purchase. Heres the story

Over the weekend bought my first bike, 03 cbr600rr with 22,000km. I checked it out with a friend a week prior and noticed its been dropped. Of course owner said by previous owner, not sure 100% since it hasn't been reported. Being my first bike I figured its ok since I have to learn and dont want to spend a fortune on a sparkling new bike that I might or might not drop.

The bike had fairings changed and a few other things and the only visible damage was scratches on engine covers (left and right, no leaks however) and a dent on frame, just under the tank, left side. The dent is about 4inches wide by 2' tall maybe. Its been painted over, but very visible.
I was afraid to buy it but the owner seemed sincere I guess, he rode the bike daily, and had all documents valid (insurance, safety, plates etc). He said he had no problem with safety last yr.

So I called cycle world for a pickup and when they arrived, I'm told I cant get safety bc of frame damage and seems front fork is leaking. I was advised to call back the seller and give the bike back to the guy.

I called him and met with him today and he wont take the bike back. He seemed shocked and all, and said he wont take it but he can give me 800$ towards the replacement of frame. I said no, and we agreed on me calling for quotes and I want him to pay for parts and I pay for labour.

I also made him sign a bill of sale which specifically says the bike is safe and there is no frame, structural or engine damage. His argument is that it says on there that bike is sold 'as is'. I dont want to go the legal way because its gonna be painful and costly.

Any advice? any way to fix a frame, or where to buy one for less than $1500??? Appreciate any help. If I can get 1000$ from him, should I just take it?

Just pay a guy to write you a safty...its like 100$ max, it will get you on the road then wrk on fixing the bike

Just pay a guy to write you a safty...its like 100$ max, it will get you on the road then wrk on fixing the bike

thats an option but I want to make sure im 100% safe on the road. Especially since its my first bike, and it wasnt yet taken on the highway so Im not 100% sure how straight it rides tbh

Pics would definitely give people a better idea if how big or small this issue is.

He said he had no problem with safety last yr. [...]

I also made him sign a bill of sale which specifically says the bike is safe and there is no frame, structural or engine damage. His argument is that it says on there that bike is sold 'as is'. I dont want to go the legal way because its gonna be painful and costly.

Hello OP. Princess's Man is so sorry to hear about your troubles! Princess's Man knows you don't want to go the legal route, but can we entertain the thought for a moment?

First, who wrote the contract? Was it just a boiler plate contract that you downloaded from the internet? Or, did the seller write it? Obviously, the term(s) of the contract has a major contradiction. And, you may be able to invalidate the seller's position that the bike was sold "as is", especially considering that he gave you the impression that the bike would have no problems getting safetied (because he, himself, had no problems last year).

Second, how much did you buy the bike for? If it's a good amount, then getting the opinion of a lawyer might be worthwhile. If you have a strong case, then it's likely that you'll be able to settle out of court (meaning, less costly legal bills).

Good luck!

-----

On second thought, Princess's Man just re-read your post. There was obvious damage to the bike before you bought it. Princess's Man now thinks the OP is right in not considering the legal route! :angel10::dog::bigsmurf:

Last edited:
He sold you the bike as is. He has no obligation to do anything for you.

He showed you the dent, and told you it had been crash. You bought it anyway. Deal with it.

Offering to give you $800 for a new frame is more than good enough on his part!

take 800$ and just pay a guy to safety it for 100$ = 700$ profit :D

your new, you wont be going crazy, dont worry about the dent.

The seller is being extremely generous to offer you $800. If you were made aware of the damage and decided to still buy the bike, then the responsibility falls back on you. He did not lie, mislead or trick you in any way. You just made a bad decision, man up and face the consequences.

All of these are no "hidden defects" - you wrote that the damage has been repaired "but very visible".

So you were not deceived, you had a chance to inspect the bike and bought it. I think the ONLY issue here is if it is actually unsafe, which I doubt.

Go to another mechanic for certification.

Being a member of GTAM for 9 years now, I'd think that you would've done your research and should have known a damaged frame would not pass safety especially if its obvious that the frame has been damaged.
If you knew of this damage on the frame and bought the bike, shouldn't you already expect to make that repair? I think the seller did his part on offering $800 (which he didn't have to do).

On a side note: buying any used vehicle is always a gamble cause some things are hard to spot (especially electrical problems or problems that occur once in a while) - but a 2x4 dent.... Thats just.... Nvm..

PS. A lot of noobs tend to make the same mistake when buying their first bike. Excitement gets the better of them to ignore all the signs/problems that the bike will have issues later on.

Last edited:
Bent frame under insurance would be a "branded" bike so this bike is not road worthy. Most reputable bike shops would never certify this bike.

The bike was never branded bc the accident was not reported anywhere.

For those that say I should man up and accept the consequences...I have no problem doing that. I really like the bike and want to keep but I dont want to sink another 2000$. I got the bike for just under 4k, so it is a lot. I guess I will take what he can give me and look for how to fix it. Thanks for all the input though.

@PLau - just because Im a member here for 9 yrs doesnt mean I know it all. Yes I do my own research, since no of my friends ride, but I do consider myself a newb. Just have the passion for motorcycling since a kid. And finally @30yrs of age decided to go ahead and purchase one.

For those who want to see. Here is a pic of the damage
k9f2h3.jpg

That's a massive dent. Wtf were you thinking. Seller is being a GGG to even take your phone call dude. Take the $800, and learn how to disassemble and reassemble a bike.

That's a massive dent. Wtf were you thinking. Seller is being a GGG to even take your phone call dude. Take the $800, and learn how to disassemble and reassemble a bike.

Agreed, that damage would be far beyond my comfort limit. A quick google search shows frames with clean titles going for around $1500. Change it yourself, I'm sure there are some forum members that would be willing to help you.

PS, be prepared for more surprises if you take it apart. Wouldn't be surprised if this bike has been butchered to hell.

Last edited:
Take it back and run, take the seller to small claims court if you have to. You have a good chance of winning as he did sign saying there was no structural damage.

Take it back and run, take the seller to small claims court if you have to. You have a good chance of winning as he did sign saying there was no structural damage.

+1. tell him you are returning the bike. if he says no, file in small claims. you have a contract stating no structural damage, even if it say as is.
chances are he'll settle out and take t back, allow him to keep a hundred or two as goodwill

Lol, the small claims is a crap shoot....look it up, there is a provision in Ontario law that speaks to "buyer beware". You did not buy it online or unseen, and unless he is a dealer he cannot warranty the item or be compelled to. You'd have a hard time even filing at small claims on a private sale just because you have buyers remorse. Best of luck!

The bigger issue here is that you paid 4 grand for a 2003 CBR 600RR.

#1: SS bikes aren't for beginners.
#2: 4G was way too much money spent.
#3: Never ever touch anything with frame damage.
#4: You always buy a bike safetied.
#5: Always have a qualified mechanic check it out if you don't know what you're doing.

Take the $800, part it out and sell it. Go buy a used 250, use it for a season and resell for a similar price or the same price and take a course.

I'd give Cory at 402bikes in sarnia a call. He could probably help you for a clean frame with legit papers. Doing a parts swap to the new frame would be a good learning experience. Heck I could do it in about 2 weeks for a decent price, but I live in kingston.

Back
Top Bottom