So how did everyone do in the race round this weekend ?! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

So how did everyone do in the race round this weekend ?!

That's what I was referring to. So far my tires have lasted me 2 TDs and looks to be good for another 2 days. I hear some use a set of slicks for one race. :mad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get 70 laps flipping my rears on a 1000 and you can run a whole weekend on a front or more which equates to 1.5 sets over a weekend running at the front of the amature class. You just have to use the right tire.

Yay Dunlop.

Last edited:
By mid-summer on the 600, I'm usually running 1:54s on the Long on DOTs which I'd put at... 8/10ths to 9/10ths pace where I don't take too many chances on braking. I'm afraid to ask how that'd have done in Novice since I wanted to make this event and couldn't get out of other responsibilities. :/

You'd be bumped to amature.

You'd be bumped to amature.

That's what I figured. I don't race often enough to stay there, though. :/ Which reminds me, I need to renew my license if I'm going to do any this year...

On the other hand, I get 3 or 4 weekends out of a set of slicks with my FZR400. If you want to race but keep the budget at least somewhat under control, stay the heck out of superbike!

Vintage, Lightweight Twins, Lost Era, etc are generally lighter, less powerful bikes that are easier on tires. The ultimate track time bang for the buck, though, is endurance racing. Because you have to back off the pace just a smidge in order to go the distance, tires last a lot longer.

Looks like the weekend had a pretty full schedule.

Never considered this before. Who does endurance racing? Soar/race?

That's what I was referring to. So far my tires have lasted me 2 TDs and looks to be good for another 2 days. I hear some use a set of slicks for one race. :mad:

I run the KR448/451 combo. I did a track day at TMP last week, did the trackday on Friday at Shanny, did the practices and qualifying race Saturday, practice and race on Sunday and there is still plenty of life left in the rear and tones left in the front. You make it work, this weekend for me was no more expensive than trackdays - don't let the $ ever scare you from trying it. Worth every penny.

SOAR has a 3 hour Endurance race on the Saturday at every single round. Only series that does.

If you want to go the vintage route, VRRA has a 2 hour endurance race for their Mosport event, too. www.vrra.ca

"Vintage" for VRRA means up to 1989. Period 4 (through 1989) has three different displacement groups, all have big grids.

VRRA is great for less expensive but very competitive racing. You'd better be handy with a wrench set, however.

Last edited:
Oh boy and I thought track days are expensive.

I had close to 2 hours on track On Saturday afternoon plus one practice session in the morning and paid $112, 50 for the day. Even cheap would be to run an endurance race with 3, its about 75 bucks each and you get an hr on track plus practice.

I'm running KR106/KR449 combo. Got the front used with 50 laps already on it, rear was new. So far have run a pratice day, 4 practice session, 4 heat races, and 4 finals (3 on the podium). Front still looks new, rear is just starting to get chewed on the right. Planning to flip the rear and use it again this coming round.

Dunlop FTW

Anyone receive their contingency yet?

This is good news. When I was talking to frank trombino he said his expenses would easily be $3000 a round. It kinda threw me off.

I will looking into it for next year.

At Trombino's pace, he would need a new set of tires for every session. Anyone just starting out, won't be going that fast and won't be chewing through tires like that.

This is good news. When I was talking to frank trombino he said his expenses would easily be $3000 a round. It kinda threw me off.

I will looking into it for next year.

Ya that's not really a fair comparison, plus he's using the spec fuel so that adds cost as well. Rule of thumb is $1000 for a race weekend give or take on your pace/fuel and if you do Friday practice.

I fully understand what u guys mean but I was still amazed on the amount spent. Mind you he had sponsors and such. Racing looks to be another level compared to Td which I'm still having a blast.

Qualified 5th in whatever Sportsman they put us with. First in Vintage. Won GTO endurance with Team Ironmonger R6 (only two in class) second overall. Broke tranny in T1 of final doh. Biggest thing for me was we managed enough SOAR numbers to get the owners attention. During our meeting on Sunday he was impressed by the large turnout especially when told it was only about one third of our regulars.
This weekend was set up for one purpose. That was to get Mr Gautier's attention and it worked perfectly. He is 100% on board with my plans for 2015 and 2016 season. He has given Chris the power he needs to make changes that are required along with me. We have a ton of work to do between now and next season but we are moving forward. thank you for the SOAR riders that supported this without you we were dead in the water.
So for me the weekend went perfectly, just as planned.

That's great news Ken, you should be applauded for your efforts, well done.

Qualified 5th in whatever Sportsman they put us with. First in Vintage. Won GTO endurance with Team Ironmonger R6 (only two in class) second overall. Broke tranny in T1 of final doh. Biggest thing for me was we managed enough SOAR numbers to get the owners attention. During our meeting on Sunday he was impressed by the large turnout especially when told it was only about one third of our regulars.
This weekend was set up for one purpose. That was to get Mr Gautier's attention and it worked perfectly. He is 100% on board with my plans for 2015 and 2016 season. He has given Chris the power he needs to make changes that are required along with me. We have a ton of work to do between now and next season but we are moving forward. thank you for the SOAR riders that supported this without you we were dead in the water.

That's really good news, Ken. Congratulations.

Fantastic, job well done Ken!

I'm running KR106/KR449 combo. Got the front used with 50 laps already on it, rear was new. So far have run a pratice day, 4 practice session, 4 heat races, and 4 finals (3 on the podium). Front still looks new, rear is just starting to get chewed on the right. Planning to flip the rear and use it again this coming round.

Dunlop FTW

Anyone receive their contingency yet?

I just got my Dunlop Dollars from RACE round 1 last week.

Back
Top Bottom