Snow tires | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow tires

Where's a cheap place to get tires mounted and balanced in north GTA/RH area?

Call Frank at AutoTrax 647-347-TRAX. Steeles and Weston, next to old Kahuna. See what he can do.

All snow tire reviews are done with studs. In southern ontario we are not allowed to run studs, so they are not much better than an all season with M/S designation.
Even if this were true (it's not) most insurance companies offer discounts for running proper winter tires.

What if winter tires are just not in the budget? Is there an all-season that's better than the rest? I have Michelin LTX m+s on my Pilot now, (bought it 5 months ago, used) and was going to replace them with the Michelin LTX m+s2 from Costco. The previous owner (my brother in law) said the Michelins were very good through the winter. Even compared to the winter tires he had on his Santa Fe.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

What if winter tires are just not in the budget? Is there an all-season that's better than the rest? I have Michelin LTX m+s on my Pilot now, (bought it 5 months ago, used) and was going to replace them with the Michelin LTX m+s2 from Costco. The previous owner (my brother in law) said the Michelins were very good through the winter. Even compared to the winter tires he had on his Santa Fe.

Get all weather tires instead and you'll still get the discount from insurance (if your company offers it).

Although if you've got money to ride but not for proper tires there's something off, imo.

The LTX M/S2s are quite capable in the winter. Probably the best non-dedicated winter truck/SUV tire on the market. You will notice they get an "excellent" rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

Get all weather tires instead and you'll still get the discount from insurance (if your company offers it).

Although if you've got money to ride but not for proper tires there's something off, imo.

I had Nokian All Weathers on my Caravan for 2 winters. They were good. The thing is, those 2 years were the only time in 20 years that I didn't run all seasons. I don't drive long distances so I just take it easy.
And if I didn't have the bike, well, that's a different story

The LTX M/S2s are quite capable in the winter. Probably the best non-dedicated winter truck/SUV tire on the market. You will notice they get an "excellent" rating.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

In my personal experience with the MS/2's I found them to be less of a tire in all aspects as compared to the old LTX MS that they are susposed to be better than. In the dry they are both the same, but in the wet and the winter the LTX MS was a more surefooted tire for sure. My current set of MS/2's are also wearing much more quickly than my previous AT/2's or LTX MS.

If i were going to put another set of Michelins on this van it would be another set of AT/2's, unless I could get my hands on a set of LTX MS's.

Don't get me wrong, the MS/2 is still a good tire but the older LTX MS's were great. The AT/2 in my experience is a better tire. I know they are not rated as highly for winter conditions but I still found them better.

I will look to see if they have the m/s. I noticed that the tread was different on the m/s2. These tires have almost 140k on them.

One thing is certain if you choose to drive in Toronto weather (storms) on all seasons or "lesser" snow tire:

1. You leave a massive gap between you and the car ahead
2. You will rear end my car, your insurance will go up, you will be out $$$ for repairs.

I'm on xice 3's, and I always buy one of the top 3 tires tested on Tirerack. Downsize if you can, save yourself a decent amount of coin.

And if you do heavy mileage, you better be checking tire pressures, rotating (might even be worth it to remount directional tires to rotate), and drive super gingerly if temps peak over 10*C

Until I bought those Nokians, always drove strictly on all seasons. I also do not believe that I am not of the norm. Do that many people switch over? By my guess, it's no more than 50%.
I'm not arguing the point that winter tires are better, but I have just never had them.

Until I bought those Nokians, always drove strictly on all seasons. I also do not believe that I am not of the norm. Do that many people switch over? By my guess, it's no more than 50%.
I'm not arguing the point that winter tires are better, but I have just never had them.

I've never had winters either. Buying them this year as I have a new vehicle and wanted to see what the fuss it about. In 15 winters I have not hit anyone and I grew up in the snow belt. I'm not a special driver I think the majority do just fine in Toronto. A lot of people who do put on winter tires drive in methods to negate their benefits anyway. I still think they are a good idea but if you don't need to drive for work and can stay home in ice storms then driving around toronto on all season has worked just fine for most people out there.

I haven't read all the posts. Have we gotten the "My driving skills are so awesome I don't need snow tires," post yet?

Altimax are best bang for buck, MMA club stickers would keep tailgaters at bay.

general altimax arctic

+1

I picked mine up off amazon.com for $90 each and free shipping. Shipped them to Monro Muffler in Niagara Falls, NY, and the guy installed them for $50 cash. Tires were 205/55/16, DOT stamped 2914, which means they were made in mid-july. Nice and soft compound!

I had Michelin LTX m/s put on both my Grand Cherokees after the junk OEM Goodyears wore out. Probably the best tire I have ever owned. From heavy rains to heavy snow they were fantastic. Most of the feedback I have seen on the LTX m/s2's were positive and an improvement over the originals.

I had Michelin LTX m/s put on both my Grand Cherokees after the junk OEM Goodyears wore out. Probably the best tire I have ever owned. From heavy rains to heavy snow they were fantastic. Most of the feedback I have seen on the LTX m/s2's were positive and an improvement over the originals.

Thanks. That's what I have been hearing. With the rebate on now, getting them done at Costco for only $835 all in, seems like a steal.

I had Nokian All Weathers on my Caravan for 2 winters. They were good. The thing is, those 2 years were the only time in 20 years that I didn't run all seasons. I don't drive long distances so I just take it easy.
And if I didn't have the bike, well, that's a different story
I understand many people run all seasons but since pretty much every insurance company offers a 5% discount for running snow tires, the all weathers make more sense to me. Personally I've run snows ever since my first car at 18. A decent set of used snows, already on rims, will only cost like $400 if they're good. I've bought and sold whole sets as low as $200.

Back
Top Bottom