Should I just stop riding?... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I just stop riding?...

or i could put you on one of my 2 near identical bikes and see if you could follow me for a couple hundred yards ;)

too easy - by not being pulled off a guard rail :p

also i don't really understand why you asked? lol.

my point is you asked a dense question. And your answer is equal to the task. Surely your definition of "come out of it just fine." is a far more comprehensive list than being pulled off a guard rail, just as "highly skilled" certainly isn't only one thing. It's far too open ended a question. I'm leaving it at that, and getting back to work.

my point is you asked a dense question. And your answer is equal to the task. Surely your definition of "come out of it just fine." is a far more comprehensive list than being pulled off a guard rail, just as "highly skilled" certainly isn't only one thing. It's far too open ended a question. I'm leaving it at that, and getting back to work.

I asked in that format for a very specific reason, which based on this went over your head.

You'll notice Trials has twice avoided answering me, he's a smart man who avoided my trap :( i need to work on being more subtle, or find easier prey!

Last edited:
or i could put you on one of my 2 near identical bikes and see if you could follow me for a couple hundred yards ;)

You`re no fun! ;)

Only if we get to race around on Groms after.

Would likely depend on if our opinions of skilled differs. I noticed you didn't bother to answer btw :D

For example; I could offer up many stories of riders who started on SS's years ago and drag knee all day at lawrence and bayview ramps, but if you don't consider that high skill then it's going to be a short discussion.

Likewise, maybe you could talk about romping through the forest/dirt tracks and i'd say "well that's cute, good for them but i'm not impressed."

If your definition of a skilled rider is someone that can "drag knee all day at lawrence and bayview ramps" I could see no reason to continue the conversation.
That's just stupid, and NO being able to drag knee on the street is not a high skill set. Dragging a knee on the street is dangerous and is just being a squid.

I'll give you a tip, and this has proven many, many times:
You CANNOT learn how to ride a motorcycle or drive a car fast on the street.

If your definition of a skilled rider is someone that can "drag knee all day at lawrence and bayview ramps" I could see no reason to continue the conversation.
That's just stupid, and NO being able to drag knee on the street is not a high skill set. Dragging a knee on the street is dangerous and is just being a squid.

I'll give you a tip, and this has proven many, many times:
You CANNOT learn how to ride a motorcycle or drive a car fast on the street.

So...i wasn't being serious? :rolleyes:

Sheesh, take a breathe.

I for one, would love that challenge. Not responsible for damages though. :)
... that's ok, I'm totally irresponsible for any damages to your body :D and you're way more likely to get hurt then the bike is.

Sunday sounds like it might be nice

Not sure if the OP is checking in or not. It’s not an easy thing to do, riding a fast bike slow. Some are better suited for urban riding better than others. Supermoto, ADV style bikes offer a better riding position for improved stability. A CBR isn’t the most agile machine at slow speed.

If you still want to ride, I’d consider something with a little more upright posture.

I like standard or classic style machines myself and find them a good compromise to have relaxed seating for low speed cruising as well as jumping on faster roads. Maybe not that fun on highways for long distances but, that’s what cages are for anyways.

Painted crosswalks and wet streetcar tracks are no fun for most bikes but, some bikes do provide a little more confidence than others when dealing with these things. And decent tires are also helpful.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

love how these always turn into , let me tell you how awesome I am, and the enevitable throw down to prove awesomeness. That's just so helpful for the OP.
It could be as simple as motorcycles aren't for everybody, just like guys that get seasick might not do well with sailing, or claustriphobia is bad for scuba divers, and fear of heights isnt helpful for sky divers.

OP just my 2 cents, they have tour days in Ontario with off road bikes, and there are some pretty good track day programs that teach good braking habits and situational awareness, maybe look at something like that before hanging it up, but maybe you should work on your golf swing to.

I'm just average
:lmao:but he still won't be able to follow me

This is a lot more common then most riders believe. Take an advance riding course. Sharp Rider teaches the Total Control program. This program is based on Lee Parks best selling book Total Control. Lee designed this program for street riding and deals with motorcycling as a whole, not just the physical skills but the mental aspects as well. For most riders, if they can get out of there own heads, there riding improves vastly in a few short hours.

http://www.sharpridermotorcycletraining.com

It looks to me like OP is angling for a reason to keep riding -- I say "keep Riding". If we all capitulated after a failure or two, we would live really boring lives.

I have always had good luck on 2 wheels, and 4 wheels. Never had a serious crash despite experiencing 300+kmh on each, both on the track and on the road. Not the same luck on sleds -- nearly lost my life 3 times running sleds. I never gave up - despite spending almost 2 years on my back I got back on the saddle and have been enjoying sleds for 30+ years.

Perhaps he/she lacks some skills or has had bad luck. If you love riding, get back on the horse and enjoy your passion. It may make sense to evaluate the ride, if OPs skills are at the beginner level, pick up a beginner bike and start over.

Quitting is for quitters. If we quit every time we failed, we would all be losers.

I'm in the "quit now while you are ahead" camp.

The consequences could be deadly. If after a couple of bikes, seasons and accidents they are still unsure of their intentions or abilities then yes, please quit.

We've all seen vehicle operators out there that really shouldn't be. Hazard to themselves and others

My friend's girlfriend barely passed her M2 test but watching her ride, it was clear that motorcycles were not meant to be in her future, and if they were, it would be a very short future.

Just because you possess the basic skills to start, stop and turn a motorcycle, doesn't mean you belong on the streets with wet asphalt, pine cones, street car tracks and other vehicles.

She gave up riding after a whole season of close calls and near misses. Nobody told her to hang up her keys but we were all glad when she did.

I'm revserving that stupidity exclusively for me.

As for the OP...be honest with yourself. What exactly caused the accidents and how could you have avoided them?

It's one thing if you were pushing and accidentally went past your limit, it's another if you're just putting around and it seems like death is following you.

....some food for thought though...you've had 4 issues in 2 years? I've had an average of 1.5 every year since I started riding and I admittedly do incredibly stupid ****....so I hope you're doing stupid **** and not actually straight up getting into unforeseen accidents.

Last edited:
I am absolutely still following this thread, I've seen some great advice here that I will be taking into consideration come spring.

Funny enough I have not gotten into any accidents in a cage and hopefully will continue to avert any.. (knock on wood)

I don't think I do anything to stupid, maybe follow to close at times which I will be a little more cautious of. It seems as though I don"t give myself enough time to properly react. The only other thing I do is lane filter in stopped traffic, maybe push a little on a straight if there's no one in front of me. But I think these are tame compared to how some rip through the streets.

I def will be checking out those lessons mentioned at sharp. The price point is something affordable for me. I think it will be one of the first things that I'll be doing come spring. I'll go from there regarding riding. My insurance is good until August of next year so I should put that 1k to good use lol. I doubt they'll be so kind as to refund part of it.

As always its great to see the advice I've been getting. :)

Back
Top Bottom