should i go with a liter | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

should i go with a liter

Pretty happy here with my middle-ground, ~105hp, 779cc FZ8S. A bit more torque down low than a 600 (even if it only spins to 11.5K) without the lunacy of being a litre-bike. If I found myself wanting, I might go to a 150hp FZ1...

But for street use, that 105HP is plenty. The thing already gets to 60 in the low 3s, the quarter in 11.3 and exceeds all speed limits in Ontario in 1st gear. I can't really picture what having any use for nearly twice the power while being constrained by common sense, decorum and the law as it pertains to street riding.

Having said that, I would give my left nut to at least try an S1000RR at least once in my life. :D

Id like to see where any of that will make a difference here. (600 vs 1k turning ability)

Want to talk rotating mass look at some of the best turning bikes - Buell XB series

Ya and how are the motors placed in the frame???

Go ride a 1000 I4 and then report back.

except turn

Wrong, that was true many years ago when litter bikes were much bigger and heavier than the 600; not so much the case anymore. I have been ridding little bikes for years and every time I try a 600cc feels very slow to me. Little bikes are not just about 0-60 and 1/4 miles, there are about picking up speed to pass a car without having to drop from top gear, I am just lazy :)

Had a S1000RR for 3 years, now on a busa. My short list for this summer is a 2011 or newer zx10 or Ducati streetfighter 1098. Would also consider a KTM RC8. I like the big, smoother engine. The torque is great around town.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Wrong, that was true many years ago when litter bikes were much bigger and heavier than the 600; not so much the case anymore. I have been ridding little bikes for years and every time I try a 600cc feels very slow to me. Little bikes are not just about 0-60 and 1/4 miles, there are about picking up speed to pass a car without having to drop from top gear, I am just lazy :)
i was at the show today looking at the cbr1000rr, i couldnt believe how similar it feels to sit on compared to the 600rr. some other guy made the same comment. it feels like a slightly longer reach to the grips but not much.

not sure if im going to go with the literbike, im leaning towards the harley as a 2nd bike and my buddy is trying to get me to by a rm250 off him, price is tough to turn down.
ill see how the demo days go, and im getting the sprocket kit for the 600 off a member on here, as well as a few other things for another build im workin on.

1000 is the only way to roll. Trust me. You need a liter bike in your life at least once. They're ****ing magnificent. You can read numbers and specs all day but nothing describes the jump in power over a paltry 600. Ride a 6 after a 1 and you'll think you're on a sewing machine.

If this is how your feel about a 1000 vs a 600 then I CANNOT wait to jump on a 600SS after my 300 !:D

If this is how your feel about a 1000 vs a 600 then I CANNOT wait to jump on a 600SS after my 300 !:D

Have you ridden anything faster than your 300? If not, then yeah getting a 600 supersport will turn your brain to mush the first time you stretch its legs

Those memories are burned into my brain forever... fun milestones in motorcycling :)

1000 is the only way to roll. Trust me. You need a liter bike in your life at least once. They're ****ing magnificent. You can read numbers and specs all day but nothing describes the jump in power over a paltry 600. Ride a 6 after a 1 and you'll think you're on a sewing machine.

When I was 19 I went from a EX500 to a CBR900RR, almost **** myself the first time I rode it! Then a season later I bought an F4i and thought it was gutless... but then my 900RR was geared up and would constantly loft the front wheel. Man, I miss that old couch rocket!

When I was 19 I went from a EX500 to a CBR900RR, almost **** myself the first time I rode it! Then a season later I bought an F4i and thought it was gutless... but then my 900RR was geared up and would constantly loft the front wheel. Man, I miss that old couch rocket!

That 900 in stock condition would constantly loft the front wheel.

That 900 in stock condition would constantly loft the front wheel.

This is impressive by any measure. I have a 1200 that does the same albeit with less explosions per given rpm. It's going to be a good century for motorbiking.

600 SS from a 300. haha haha. haha.. Oh buddy you're in for some smiles.
300 will feel like a bicycle. Literally. The pulling power in the straights will bring an ear to ear grin. You just don't get that with a smaller cc bike.

There are a whole lot of differences between say a litre tourer or dual sport and a litre RR.

Both kids rode the 600 RR at rock the red Honda demo and love them
They both rode the 1000RR and came back and said what's the point??

150 in first gear....wasted of money both in purchase and insurance.

On the other other hand there are some legitimate reasons between a 1 ltr Vstrom and the Wee tho many opt for the Wee.

I loved the VFR800 test rides....detested the 1200....same with the BMW 1150.

I like my mid sized bikes....yes the rush on the ST1100 was kinda cool ....but it was a pig in the city and hotter than hell to be sitting on top of in +30 heat.

With the good transmissions these days....stirring a bit breaks the boredom....
as to litre + "dual sports".....don't get me started..:rolleyes:

The Honda 750 four ranks as one of the best rides of all time....

[video=youtube;yeMgEuf30G4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeMgEuf30G4[/video]

Things have not changed all that much.

Last edited:
There are a whole lot of differences between say a litre tourer or dual sport and a litre RR.

On the other other hand there are some legitimate reasons between a 1 ltr Vstrom and the Wee tho many opt for the Wee.

I loved the VFR800 test rides....detested the 1200....same with the BMW 1150.

I like my mid sized bikes....yes the rush on the ST1100 was kinda cool ....but it was a pig in the city and hotter than hell to be sitting on top of in +30 heat.

With the good transmissions these days....stirring a bit breaks the boredom....
as to litre + "dual sports".....don't get me started..:rolleyes:

The Honda 750 four ranks as one of the best rides of all time....

Things have not changed all that much.
i can break 130 in 1st on my cbr600rr...whats a extra 20 km. :)
but im putting tighter gearing on so she will loose top end but be more have more torque.
time to re-map the bazzaz, re-program my gear indicator, chop out the cat then hope the snow is gone.

I actually rode a CB750K recently - the motor was quite good, but the brakes absolutely do not hold up. They felt barely up to the task of dealing with stoplights. I'm sure they're something you would get used to and that they're not as bad as they first seemed, but time has definitely improved on them

600s make peak torque (about 45ft-lbs) at almost 11,000rpm... that's basically 100 in first gear. For all intents and purposes, you're not getting the most out of the motor until you're breaking any speed limit in Ontario.

A modern liter bike on the other hand makes 45ft-lbs of torque by 3500rpm. That's well under 60kmh in 1st gear.

There's no comparison whatsoever. Liter bikes make more usable power at all revs, in all gears, at all speeds. That's why they're ****ing awesome. You have more power at 3500rpm puttering around 60kmh city streets than a 600cc supersport ever makes at its peak. Real power, felt every time you ride the bike.

The misconception that you never utilize the extra power of a 1000cc supersport is completely retarded. You'd have to have never ridden a 1k supersport to make such a dumb argument.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom