Scotch anyone? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scotch anyone?

Bought a bottle of bottom-shelf blend yesterday, Whyte & Mackay Special Reserve. Online reviews tend to be pretty bad 'cause Scotch snobs hate grain whisky (corn, basically). I also love bourbon so I love the grain-whisky character.

Their Master Blender is a goof.

[video=youtube;Zjrkd_RZFFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjrkd_RZFFY[/video]

The Macallan Amber for Christmas.Thanks for the great bonus boss.
PC240038_zps5200836f.jpg

Glenmorangie Extremely Rare 18 - just got this for Christmas and goodness is it amazing. Do yourself a favour and try it.

Just picked this up today the Canadian club small batch 12 yo. It's cheap and surprisingly not bad!!
757d4412ffb53ef9e6a8069bd20b5c59.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

I don't drink much, but is whisky better the longer it sits? And does that have to be in the barrels/ vats, or does an unopened bottle count? Like, that 12 year CC, if it's sits 3 more years before opened, is it then a 15 year aged?

Joe I am far far from an expert. There is guys with much more knowledge then me on subject. But I believe it's the time aged in the barrel that counts. Once bottled not sure if taste is affected. Maybe an expert can chime in

I don't drink much, but is whisky better the longer it sits? And does that have to be in the barrels/ vats, or does an unopened bottle count? Like, that 12 year CC, if it's sits 3 more years before opened, is it then a 15 year aged?

Aging in the cupboard does nothing to benefit the flavour or cask strength (alcohol proof)

Barrel or cask aging is what brings about the flavour and increase in alcohol strength.

The stuff in a bottle should be kept out of the sun. Otherwise, it will typically taste the same if you open it right away or 20 plus years later.

Thanks nakkers and cbcanada. The reason I was asking is because I have a sealed bottle of Crown from (I think) 1967 or 1976. It has the old lcbo seal with the date over the cap. Thought I would save it for a special occasion.

Thanks nakkers and cbcanada. The reason I was asking is because I have a sealed bottle of Crown from (I think) 1967 or 1976. It has the old lcbo seal with the date over the cap. Thought I would save it for a special occasion.

Nice! Drink it ! :) get a new one and taste compare and let us know

Aging in the cupboard does nothing to benefit the flavour or cask strength (alcohol proof)

Barrel or cask aging is what brings about the flavour and increase in alcohol strength.

Otherwise, it will typically taste the same if you open it right away or 20 plus years later.

I disagree. I've had a handful of Scotch's that needed a bit of time to breath before they were true to taste.

I got into Scotch around 5 years ago and it's been a very pleasant and educational journey since. When i started, i knew very little about Scotch. I learned little by little throughout the years, got the decanter and a few pairs of nosing glasses and i still know very little. Seems like there is much to be learned.

So far, aftre trying as many bottles as i could, i learned that price does not neccesarily detemine the taste. You gotta get through the marketing and lables to find what your taste buds enjoy more. There are some $40-$100 bottles that i persoanlly enjoy more than many more expensive ones. Just to give you an idea, i recently tried the 30 yr old Chivas and right after i had some Gold label at a friends house. I sincerley enjoyed the much cheaper gold label more (although not a fan of blended in general)

Persoanlly i strictly stick to single malt scotch when i go shopping. When i can afford it, i really enjoy the 18yr old bottle of laphroaig. It's very peaty and has a distinguished taste that i find in no other scotch.. For my casual drinking, i find a very cheap $40 bottle of single malt, smoky mcclelland is very satisfying.

Slainte!

My apologies. To clarify, the taste will change when left to breathe in a glass once poured.

You can also add some water (room temp and it's actually recommended) to bring out some flavour and aroma as well. No ice.

And don't treat Scotch like wine to bring out the bouquet. Avoid swirling in the glass. Gently roll.

Here is a good documentary on the history of scotch and some Scottish history.

[video=youtube;_ZLgHN5Jtug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLgHN5Jtug[/video]

Persoanlly i strictly stick to single malt scotch when i go shopping. When i can afford it, i really enjoy the 18yr old bottle of laphroaig. It's very peaty and has a distinguished taste that i find in no other scotch.. For my casual drinking, i find a very cheap $40 bottle of single malt, smoky mcclelland is very satisfying.

Slainte!

We tried the McClelland last February just for fun along with another cheapy. They were both surprisingly good and drinkable and I've worked through most of one bottle.
Laphroaig is quite good but a bit too peaty for my taste. Along the same lines but with less peat is Lagavulin 16 which I highly recommend you try. I tend to like sherry casked scotches but when I'm in the mood for something with a very different distinct taste it's the Lagavulin that fits perfectly.

We tried the McClelland last February just for fun along with another cheapy. They were both surprisingly good and drinkable and I've worked through most of one bottle.
Laphroaig is quite good but a bit too peaty for my taste. Along the same lines but with less peat is Lagavulin 16 which I highly recommend you try. I tend to like sherry casked scotches but when I'm in the mood for something with a very different distinct taste it's the Lagavulin that fits perfectly.

Thanks for the tip Hardwrkr13. I should definitley give Lagavulin a try. How muc hdoes a 16yr old bottle go for in our tax crazded province? lol

Back
Top Bottom