Sad Day ... Stolen 2011 ZX6R ... :( | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sad Day ... Stolen 2011 ZX6R ... :(

Sorry about your loss. Another option is to install a concrete chain anchor into the floor of the parking garage inconspicuously next to one of the pillars of your parking spot or if you park your bike up against the wall behind your car, put one there. That way you can chain the front wheel to the anchor. Its better to ask for forgiveness than permission when it comes to dealing with condo management. Two little holes and a steel loop isn't gonna hurt anyone.

View attachment 39509

Thanks for letting me know, I'll take a look into this as a option for the future.

Are these chains really gonna help against any scrub with a battery powered grinder and cutoff wheel though? You could go through even the biggest chain in seconds tbh

Was this an outdoor park spot? The condo I used to live in had underground parking with access for residents only, but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to gain access if one really wanted.

Try and get yourself onto the condo board, if this important enough for you. Might have a better chance of trying to get this done.

Sorry for your loss!

BTW I just saw a post on Facebook with a very similar instance. It was a Aprilla MC. All caught on video, took the guys 2 minutes to put the bike into a Astro van. They did it late in the afternoon (4:30 ish) before the victim got home.
I saw that post recently.
Amazing how these thieves are so nonchalant about the whole thing.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Was this an outdoor park spot? The condo I used to live in had underground parking with access for residents only, but I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to gain access if one really wanted.
When I used to live in a condo, often I used to see cars just following other cars in to the underground parking. Some condos have auto garage door openers when you're exiting the parking, while others enforce the use of a remote/fob on both entry and exit. I guess enforcing the fob is slightly better, but what's to stop thieves from following another car out.

Waste of time effort and money. Cameras do NOT deter theft, they merely let you see what happened as your bike was taken away. These guys use stolen vans, cover their faces and are in and out with your bike in the back of the stolen van in at most 3 minutes. Once they know they have gotten a decent bike, they WILL come back in a couple months to look for the "replacement" they can steal.

The management of the condo is NOT going to look to spend a single dime on cameras, (even if 10 bikes get stolen), they simply don't care, their thought process is that is why YOU have insurance. Also, not going to increase cost to everyone just because your bike got stolen. Often even if your building has a security guard, thieves will slip them some cash "to look the other way" Quick way to make a days salary, (tax free), when your making $14 an hour...lol

Hi JollyGreenGiant,

I am going to speak with the condo's management to recommend installing cameras that can cover wide angle areas of every parking lot locations. It might be cost prohibitive, but everyone pays the condo fees!

I doubt that I'll get far. But still worth a shot.

I'll ask them to review and save a copy of the video footage on the entrance and exit gates to determine if a SUV, Mini-Van came thru to pull this stunt off.

Are these chains really gonna help against any scrub with a battery powered grinder and cutoff wheel though? You could go through even the biggest chain in seconds tbh

Of course it will. They can load a bike in 30 seconds, will take more than five minutes, maybe more to cut thru hardened "tool steel" chains. (a crappy princess auto chain is not what you would use obviously, hence the price tag of these bike chains) You would need some monster cutting wheel to blast thru it efficiently. Any deterrent that makes the thief have to be there for more than a minute or two tops is good enough.

FWIW, I have every kind of cutting wheel here at work, and there is nothing that cuts thru hardened tool steel efficiently. Its slow and agonizing

Last edited:
Food for thought

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BxIbAFnmsIQ[/video]

Cool video. It would be interesting to see how much the cutting times drop now that good cordless grinders are readily available. That Bosch 12V looks anemic at best (like the original makita cordless circ saws which were little more than toys). I suspect something like the Dewalt Flexvolt will speed up the cutting by at least a factor of four. Unsurprisingly, power figures don't seem to be available. Without batteries, the dewalt is triple the weight of the bosch. As you've said, cutting hardened steel isn't easy, but more power helps.

Last edited:
Of course it will. They can load a bike in 30 seconds, will take more than five minutes, maybe more to cut thru hardened "tool steel" chains. (a crappy princess auto chain is not what you would use obviously, hence the price tag of these bike chains) You would need some monster cutting wheel to blast thru it efficiently. Any deterrent that makes the thief have to be there for more than a minute or two tops is good enough.

FWIW, I have every kind of cutting wheel here at work, and there is nothing that cuts thru hardened tool steel efficiently. Its slow and agonizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRAz04oTog

Cut through hardened steel thicker than his finger in under 35 seconds. Doubt you would have a chain any thicker than that. I agree thats it's a good deterrent, but still not enough to protect your bike

Same here, see my post in the Stolen bike registry. I got pretty good images of the crackhead that stole mine.

Yes there is.
GPS is a wonderful thing, thank-you Ronald Ray-gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRAz04oTog

Cut through hardened steel thicker than his finger in under 35 seconds. Doubt you would have a chain any thicker than that. I agree thats it's a good deterrent, but still not enough to protect your bike

Interesting.

I dont know the type of steel that is, he doesn't specify. It cant be tool steel. The comments mention carbonated steel, which is NOT tool steel. I work with heat treating metals every day, and hard machining as well. My idea of hard, is not what that vid shows. That blade wouldn't last very long thru a few mm in proper heat treated tool steel.......srsly, I can prove it to you :)

That being said, I cant speak for the quality or hardness of the metal used in the various security chains out there.

All I can tell you M8, is that from my personal experiences with tool steel, it doesn't cut like in that vid.

this guy is having trouble, not sure a motorcyle theif would go thru this much trouble in a parking garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xey9p_vhclc

Last edited:
Interesting.

I dont know the type of steel that is, he doesn't specify. It cant be tool steel. The comments mention carbonated steel, which is NOT tool steel. I work with heat treating metals every day, and hard machining as well. My idea of hard, is not what that vid shows. That blade wouldn't last very long thru a few mm in proper heat treated tool steel.......srsly, I can prove it to you :)

That being said, I cant speak for the quality or hardness of the metal used in the various security chains out there.

All I can tell you M8, is that from my personal experiences with tool steel, it doesn't cut like in that vid.

this guy is having trouble, not sure a motorcyle theif would go thru this much trouble in a parking garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xey9p_vhclc

Have to agree, spent some time in a tool room and metal stamping..should not be able to cut through it like butter.

Ahh. I'll admit I don't really know that much about it, just seemed weird to me and saw that video pretty quick so I came to an assumption. I have not tried cutting through a big expensive specialty-chain personally so I could very well be wrong :) cheers. As for something that would help, I think those little gps trackers would be your best bet to give you an idea of location at least. True it would be found and pulled off pretty quick, unless you hide it REALLY well.

Ahh. I'll admit I don't really know that much about it, just seemed weird to me and saw that video pretty quick so I came to an assumption. I have not tried cutting through a big expensive specialty-chain personally so I could very well be wrong :) cheers. As for something that would help, I think those little gps trackers would be your best bet to give you an idea of location at least. True it would be found and pulled off pretty quick, unless you hide it REALLY well.

If I was stealing bikes for a living (as police indicate many are), I would have a GPS jammer in my van (and maybe a cell jammer too).

If I was stealing bikes for a living (as police indicate many are), I would have a GPS jammer in my van (and maybe a cell jammer too).
... insert mission impossible soundtrack.

It's unlikely that a security chain would be made from tool steel, but it can certainly be made from suitable alloys that have gone through the right heat treatment process.

I've had some involvement with "hot stamping" of automotive parts. Any trimming or hole cutting after it's formed has to be done with a big scary laser, because normal press tooling won't touch it ... and that's just sheet-metal thickness.

Back
Top Bottom