Running.. ugghh | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running.. ugghh

My wife felt like crap (mildly sick, accidentally planned a super busy weekend including a short race in barrie saturday, training plan went off the rails a little while ago, etc.) and squeaked in under 2 hours. She referred to it as her second worst time ever (slowest was when she was pregnant). About 30% of the way through her cohort. That seems pretty good to me. Runners are weird.
Spent the day at wonderland on saturday, it was fun but tiring. Also drank a glass and didnt eat the best foods the night before.
And yes, endurance athletes are hard on themselves because we see all that greatness around us and we tend to compare. And when we get slower times than our previous PB it's also hard to digest. It's all about that improvement

Reactions: TK4
Spent the day at wonderland on saturday, it was fun but tiring. Also drank a glass and didnt eat the best foods the night before.
And yes, endurance athletes are hard on themselves because we see all that greatness around us and we tend to compare. And when we get slower times than our previous PB it's also hard to digest. It's all about that improvement
When I was younger and in way better shape my goal was always to finish in double the time of the winner. I nailed it a few times, but there's a huge humble factor.

At some point in life it's not personal best. It's least personal decline.

She went to wonderland last night. Just over 40k steps for the day.

Recommendation for resources to get running? Looking to run my first 5 and 10k this year in many years and not even sure where to start.

Will need new shoes as I only have very thin sole ones also. So time to hit up some stores.

Recommendation for resources to get running? Looking to run my first 5 and 10k this year in many years and not even sure where to start.

Will need new shoes as I only have very thin sole ones also. So time to hit up some stores.
Running room ( or run free or ...) 5k or 10k course are very good. Dont cost much, have a good program, accountability and IIRC a store discount on shoes that drops the effective price even more.

Hal Higdon has some really well laid out running programs for all kinds of distances and all kinds of running backgrounds from novice to seasoned athlete. My wife (multi time Ironman and marathon runner) often uses his website when she is getting back into running after a long hiatus. This year, she wants to run a fall marathon and is starting his marathon plan as of this coming Monday. Here's his novice 5k plan:

I personally like New Balance shoes for my wide, flat feet.

Also worth mentioning that for most runners, you don't need to run your goal distance in your training runs, but your weekly mileage should be well over your goal distance. So if you are training for your first 10k, you might never run more than 9k in any given training run. Maybe your total weekly mileage during the peak training weeks might be around 18k or something (4k + 6k + 8k)

Last edited:
Hal Higdon has some really well laid out running programs for all kinds of distances and all kinds of running backgrounds from novice to seasoned athlete. My wife (multi time Ironman and marathon runner) often uses his website when she is getting back into running after a long hiatus. This year, she wants to run a fall marathon and is starting his marathon plan as of this coming Monday. Here's his novice 5k plan:

I personally like New Balance shoes for my wide, flat feet.

Also worth mentioning that for most runners, you don't need to run your goal distance in your training runs, but your weekly mileage should be well over your goal distance. So if you are training for your first 10k, you might never run more than 9k in any given training run. Maybe your total weekly mileage during the peak training weeks might be around 18k or something (4k + 6k + 8k)
Any half iron this year? :p

Oh boy, you're in for a lot of "fun" finding the right shoes is kinda of a mix of goldilocks and cinderella.

A lot of shoes squish your toes together but you want them to be able to splay.

Running room, MEC in the west. Sportchek of you know what you're looking for.

The whole trick with this is to start slow. You don't need speed work. Just ride "lots" of miles at an easy pace that you could basically breathe through your nose and/or have an easy convo.
Especially if you have extra weight (like i have had for the past few years) that'll help your joints get used to running without putting too much intensity/load on them. Even after you get used to it, most of your running should be "easy" and then you sprinkle speedwork and "race pace" intervals on top but that's not for a little while :)

Eventually you'll get to a point that you can zone out in your easy runs and not be in pain at all (sometimes it might only be after you warm up).

Any half iron this year? :p

Oh boy, you're in for a lot of "fun" finding the right shoes is kinda of a mix of goldilocks and cinderella.

A lot of shoes squish your toes together but you want them to be able to splay.

Running room, MEC in the west. Sportchek of you know what you're looking for.

The whole trick with this is to start slow. You don't need speed work. Just ride "lots" of miles at an easy pace that you could basically breathe through your nose and/or have an easy convo.
Especially if you have extra weight (like i have had for the past few years) that'll help your joints get used to running without putting too much intensity/load on them. Even after you get used to it, most of your running should be "easy" and then you sprinkle speedwork and "race pace" intervals on top but that's not for a little while :)

Eventually you'll get to a point that you can zone out in your easy runs and not be in pain at all (sometimes it might only be after you warm up).
LePhillou Oh boy, you're in for a lot of "fun" finding the right shoes is kinda of a mix of goldilocks and cinderella.

I rewarded myself for completing the IBX couch to 5K (treadmill) with the purchase of Nike Pegasus 39 (looks so cool). Boy, the shin splint kicked in about 2miles. Fearing injury I, disappointed, had to stop. Went back to my old beat up Asics Dyna flyte 2 and did 5k without any discomfort.

Should have listened to the running youtubers about getting professionally evaluated. ie Running Room. The prices of the shoes are somewhat keeping me shy of going in and getting checked out.

btw. this a great tread!

Weather is here and looks like I’m gonna start this Couch to 5k soon. Need some shoes though.

FYI you don’t have to buy shoes at Running Room. They’ll “fit” you, telling you if you need a motion control or regular shoe basically, then give you some options. Really you just need to know if you need a control shoe or not then you can buy the type you need wherever you want.
My wife was fitted there last year and they didn’t have much available in her size with much back ordered but at least she knew then what motion her feet where doing. She ended up buying shoes from Lulu.

Weather is here and looks like I’m gonna start this Couch to 5k soon. Need some shoes though.
Couch to 5k is an excellent program. I followed it for my first 5k last year for Toronto Waterfront Marathon.
Sport check has good options, I got my NB there at 50% off using a vengo work perks coupon.

ive been aiming for 6 days per week on avg weekly since jan
i've missed a week or 2 (vacay or scheduling conflicts) but it's going well!

to get back to getting the right shoes... honestly its pretty hard, each foot is shaped differently, each runner runs slightly differently...how much cushioning, how much drop, how much arch support, etc it's a real maze!

i still haven't found a proper race shoe i want to use.
Running room is also "limited" by what they have in store. If they don't have the type of shoe you should be wearing they'll push you into the closest 2nd. It might work or it might not it'll depend on the employee you get LOL

My knees don’t agree with running anymore sadly. I used to love running. We have a cross trainer but trying to keep it from making random squeaks is annoying me so I’ve got my mountain bike up and running after a few years away from it and will be hitting the single track with it this year.

Bump.
Just signed up for the Big Sur 21miler. Haven't run more than a 5k in a few years and haven't even gone for a easy jog in over a year.
I hear it's hilly over there... what could possibly go wrong?

1696180004535.png

Last edited:
Sorry if it has been covered before, anyone have recommendations on improving running form?

Fairly new to running and feel there is definite room for improvement

Sorry if it has been covered before, anyone have recommendations on improving running form?

Running store (eg running room) training programs are quite good and cheap.

Many years ago I had a running gait analysis done where I ran on a treadmill and they took a video of my running form at various angles. I have a tendancy to kick out my right ankle/foot as it lifts off the ground. It would then have to swing back in to plant for the next step. For shorter runs, this might not be a big deal, but after running for 90 miutes or more, my form would get increasingly sloppy as I began to fatigue. The advice that was given to me then was to try and be cognizant of engaging my core and my glutes to keep my right leg in a slightly better line. So now when I run any distances, I try to be mildly aware of whether or not my core and glutes are engaged.

It's important to note that running form becomes increasingly poor as you fatigue, which in turn increases injury risk. So make sure you gradually build up to reduce probability of injury. Every injury I have ever sustained from running was due to me pushing too hard, too fast in a training program.

So for now, my goal is to run 5k, three times per week for about a month or two as I build a small base, then start increasing my distances by 10% per week and adding in speed and hill workouts once I have a solid 10k base (probably in January).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom