Riding in the heat | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in the heat

look at any desert racer, you dont see much mesh. drink drink drink.

I was riding across the desert three weeks ago. It was 102F across Arizona and 104F on the Oatman Hwy and in the Mojave. I was told by desert dwellers to wear a cooling vest, which I did and was grateful for. I wore a jacket over it. I also filled my helmet with water and stuck it on my head. I tried pushing it at first and didn't wear anything, but even fully hydrated (I drank about a quart of H2O an hour and barely ****** at all) I started to feel sick, so... follow the advice of the people who live there. Full leathers? Just get a cooling jacket and let the wind run through it.

I thought riding was supposed to be fun. I guess suffering is considered adventure. I also guess running out of gas or a flat tire in Furnace Creek takes some sort of cake.

Then again, you can work on your tan while your riding -

DoverThong_zpsfe67ebe7.jpg
I feel sorry for the poor sap who's gonna purchase that bike.
"never abused "

I was riding across the desert three weeks ago. It was 102F across Arizona and 104F on the Oatman Hwy and in the Mojave. I was told by desert dwellers to wear a cooling vest, which I did and was grateful for. I wore a jacket over it. I also filled my helmet with water and stuck it on my head. I tried pushing it at first and didn't wear anything, but even fully hydrated (I drank about a quart of H2O an hour and barely ****** at all) I started to feel sick, so... follow the advice of the people who live there. Full leathers? Just get a cooling jacket and let the wind run through it.

I ride in the desert (live there part time) a fair bit, its not suffering but its very different from riding here in heat. At 12% humidity the hot breeze will suck every ounce out of your skin, reverse of wind chill, you dont realize how fast you dehydrate. Here in the heat you just get clammy and sweat a bucket. Here I really like those moisture wicking T shirts and gits to stay comfortable.

Want to send some heat east?? :( still stuck in the 13 c drizzly front for two days now and more to come.

And THEN!!!!>???? 30+ even in Lake placid ....c'mon Ma nature -- some moderation please.

I ride in the desert (live there part time) a fair bit, its not suffering but its very different from riding here in heat. At 12% humidity the hot breeze will suck every ounce out of your skin, reverse of wind chill, you dont realize how fast you dehydrate. Here in the heat you just get clammy and sweat a bucket. Here I really like those moisture wicking T shirts and gits to stay comfortable.

On the flip-side, while super dry conditions will create a blast furnace, if humidity is too high, then sweat will stop evaporating as the air is already saturated. I still remember when I spent part of a summer in Hong Kong, you could soak your shirt and it would not dry & you would not cool down.

I thought riding was supposed to be fun. I guess suffering is considered adventure. I also guess running out of gas or a flat tire in Furnace Creek takes some sort of cake.

Yes, that's why we wave at each other. A sort of "comrades in misery" acknowledgement, canonizing those who can take the most punishment.

Yes, that's why we wave at each other. A sort of "comrades in misery" acknowledgement, canonizing those who can take the most punishment.

That's why I post here:wave:

...Wish i had the money to get mesh riding pants too.

I have some A* mesh pants. The pants are solid on the knee armour, buttocks, crotch and the front has solid pockets. In other words they are only mesh on the back of your legs. When riding they provide very limited air flow, so still feel hot.

The article mentions the use of a Camelback. I used to partially fill a Camelback, and lay it flat in my freezer. The day of the ride you fill the rest of the bladder up. Instant air con.

Last edited:
But you could never get that image out your head while riding it

FIFY.

[video=youtube;ysmG_NfQVb0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmG_NfQVb0[/video]

I was hit by a car at 85kmh. Wearing textile jacket, slid over 200'. The jacket was shredded but not a mark on me. I'll wear mesh over leather always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hit by a car at 85kmh. Wearing textile jacket, slid over 200'. The jacket was shredded but not a mark on me. I'll wear mesh over leather always

All mesh is textile, but not all textile is mesh.

I picked up a Camelbak today, I felt like it helped with the heat but we'll see how it goes on hotter days

Everything is a compromise. I do not expect my Olympia Airglide pants and jacket to be able to handle multiple offs but I think it should be able to provide some level of protection if something were to happen. I upgraded the stock CE back protector to the better one made by Rukka. I am looking at upgrading the shoulder and elbow armor to the stuff by Forcefield which is CE level 2. This stuff is also perforated and from what riders on the ADV forum have said it actually flows more air than the stock CE rated armor. Better protection and more comfort? I'm sold.

My A* SMX 5 boots are also of the perforated variety so they flow decent air when I am moving.

Would I be better off in perforated leather? For sure but at least the mesh stuff gives me some protection and because it is comfortable and easy to put on and off I use it for every ride.

The one thing I might do is remove the hand protectors the previous owner had put on the Bandit (he put DL 1000 hand guards on it). They provide some extra hand protection from projectiles and wind. I might appreciate the extra wind protection in the spring or fall but I think with this heat I might prefer to have my hands exposed on the bike.

Revit airglide upper and lower in the summer
Underneath I’m in really light shorts and wife beater/shirt of the wicking material
I might remove my windscreen on my half-faired bike, would look goofy but whatever
When I stand on the pegs, the instant AC around me scrot feels absolutely heavenly
Too bad they don’t make armored kilts
What are we discussing again?

oT9tJ.gif

Revit airglide upper and lower in the summer
Underneath I’m in really light shorts and wife beater/shirt of the wicking material
I might remove my windscreen on my half-faired bike, would look goofy but whatever
When I stand on the pegs, the instant AC around me scrot feels absolutely heavenly
Too bad they don’t make armored kilts
What are we discussing again?

oT9tJ.gif

giphy.gif

I wear a full leather jacket with a few vents regardless of the temps. I do however use a Chillypad on hot days and it has been a GOD SEND! Cheapest/best comfort farkle I've ever bought!

Back
Top Bottom