Riding in ATV tracks?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding in ATV tracks??

timtune

Site Supporter
Just wondering it's a good idea to ride in ATV tracks. There are some out my way. Two parallel well worn tracks or ruts.
I've ridden single track in the Ganny but trying to stay in one narrow rut is not the same I don't think.

I'd give it a whirl but I'm not keen to try it alone should things go pear shaped as they sometimes do with my skill level.

Thoughts??

Ruts are never fun on a single track vehicle, but depends on how muddy or deep/narrow the ruts are.

Personally, I wouldn't spend all my time riding a deep and narrow rut like I was bound to a rail, but if it's a necessary evil to get to other good trails, then I'd grin and bear it.

If the ruts are (super)wide enough, then I supposed you could berm it around corners like a MX track, or have some fun half-piping it on the straights...

I hate edge traps. I would be trying (possibly unsuccessfully) to ride up top and not get sucked into the ruts.

They also get pretty nasty when muddy or submerged,

I'm at the age where not falling off is always part of my ride plan. So I only ride my ATVs on ATV trails.

They also get pretty nasty when muddy or submerged,

I'm at the age where not falling off is always part of my ride plan. So I only ride my ATVs on ATV trails.
That's my age too. Did a day in the Ganny last week and never crashed once. That said we road almost no single track.

Moral of the story: Ruts do not equal single track.
If modified four-wheelers have gone through (or sometimes even stock in mud), the ruts are often deep and narrow enough that the pegs (or if you're really unlucky the frame/engine) get stuck on top and there is minimal weight on the wheels.

Back
Top Bottom