Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

THAT was a bloody long haul. Left at -15 degrees on Tuesday - and arrived noon on Friday at 35 degrees in Cairns.....:rolleyes:

ScreenShot2013-01-24atJan24201381525AM.jpg

long smoggy layover at Hong Kong - fell asleep in the departure lounge and was last on the plane and managed to leave my good reading glasses hanging off the luggage cart. :( They are chasing them down for me. First time I've had a plane held tho did not seem they were much concerned.

Felt okay tho sleep deprived. Hopefully get the KLR today and the ST1100 tomorrow if I'm not too groggy.
The monsoon is in fully swing - Tully got a meter or rain and they are just over 100k away - urk
That area gets 12 meters a year on Mount Bartle Frere !!!!

So a tad damp tho I don't really mind - it just dries off it's so warm....but when it gets that heavy best get under shelter. Forecast to hit 40 next week.
I've been in 44 before but that was semi-desert. 40 and humid.....urk.

Stay tuned. :D

Last edited:
I hope you know how to cope with HOT weather :)

Nah they do fine on their own. Have to spread the custom around. :D Nice meat pie house in Kuranda I like.
l.jpg
at Annabel's

I've always been heat tolerant and don't mind sweating but today was unusual for here. 38 degrees and clear. i've been running in Sierra Leone and lots of time in the Little Karoo which gets up over 40 at times....44 was the top there. YA suck up water big time tho. Norm this time of year is 31-33.

••••

Day One Well that was fun...picked up the 1993 ST1100 I scored for a good price here so I could do some touring beyond the KLR 650 range. Not a lot heavier than the Burgman 650.

8 point turn to get it out of the shed around the tractor. Least I could flat foot it so that answered one question.

U turn on gravel to get around the shed.

8" ditch to get out of the drive way ( it's been pouring tho not today so )

hard left on gravel then down a semi-paved road steep enough to lock up either brake easily with lots of sand and junk from the stream at the bottom that had flooded a few days ago.

Ride the 2' wide planks across the bridge into the small sand bank the stream left and squirrel up the baby twisty hill on the other side which was fine and fun.

An interesting 10 minute introduction to a new ride. :D

Weight is very low on this and it flicks very nicely. Loads of oomph and nice gear spacing.

20 km of good twisties down the Kuranda range road was fun. Gets tight and continuous towards the bottom

[video=youtube;i1Sfis_v9Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Sfis_v9Zg[/video]

..locked up the rear once shifting down too far but bike was stable. Just chirped

Only nasty - the front brakes need some attention...fair bit of shuddering so that needs work. Rears were smooth and easily modulated so I know what the front should feel like. That's the only place I missed the Burgman - brakes on that are awesome

Sport windshield is a great height for the twisties - can see over it - takes the wind off my shoulders. Bit noisy in the helmet but did not wear earplugs - wanted to hear what was going on.

Wound it out in second and third a couple of times. It goes.

Did not realize it has the electronic cruise control - that will be a life saver for my achy hands.

Decent storage.

Ride position is very neutral - weight on the thighs almost nothing on my hands and the sheepskin saddle was comfie.. Not hot even tho it's 35 out.
Different riding position on all three bikes- perhaps may like this best.
Not as low forward as my RD400 with the drop bars so no bent neck. Vision in the mirrors is good.

Burgman is rocking chair seating and KLR quite upright as it should be on that bike.

Lot of heat off the motor as expected.

All in all very pleased so far despite the nail biting start.

Day two

Got in 180k today up to Port Douglas early and then up a very messy Rex ( debris ). The Rex is the shortest and steepest of the range roads but no pushing it at all today. Tons of debris on the road from trees and rain.
Across to Mareeba - got a few water bird shots on the way including a pair of black swans and then back through Kuranda and over to Mulgrave ST to get a battery for the KLR.
Had a good run down the Kuranda range road - was clear and dry and a BMW to pace - was smoother run than the first day.

Seriously hot on the ST1100 at 38 degrees and pottering around in the sun to get the battery. That motor puts out a lot of heat.
Bike loves the open road tho. 130 it's just loafing at 4k. They had road trains up to 36 meters long here so the big motor is useful. The dump trucks are also tandem and I was cruising at 120 and decided to let the empty tandem blow by me at a guess of 140 plus. Lot of dead roos around. :rolleyes:

KLR is ready to go now I have a battery so might try a little jaunt in the cooler parts of the rain forest tomorrow. Try out the new seat. Got a few pics but have to get to the coffee shop to upload them.

Oddly one of Australian Burgman riders is having his 650 shipped up to Port Douglas ( about 1/2 hour north of me ) for 6 months. Got held up by the horrendous flooding to the south of us.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/qld-floods/

If you can imagine for a state physically larger than Ontario with 3 million people ,with a good half of all the cell phones, home phones, all the 911, all the credit card services and all the atms not working

And it's the last day of a national holiday and the last day of the school holidays so all the kids are due to go to school tomorrow. So thousands of people are in transit from various areas

My step daughter had to go out a buy prepaid cell phones for the 5 hotels she works with and their lines are being forwarded to those cells.

and about half of that state being gradually submerged with Toronto due up next for the flood peak

rather a mess

So he's waiting on the floods to clear - the bike is on the truck and they've told him a week delay. Works out okay for me and nice to have a riding partner.

Last edited:
Taking a break today but will get down to the pool on the KLR. Got all the panels back on and decided to skip the new windshield since I have the ST1100. New seat looks good and nice to have juice in the battery. Sealed this time so should last a couple years or more.

serious pool :D

1x1transp.png

Turns out there is a 20% chance of a cyclone off our cost on Friday - better get a ride in tomorrow.

Finally got a decent ride on the KLR - new seat is really superb. Mount Mulligan Road which we want to go camping a little further in at MT Mulligan Station.

ScreenShot2013-02-04atFeb42013112615AM_zpsd0f88abf.jpg

Big roo you would not want to hit

ScreenShot2013-02-04atFeb42013112007AM_zpse6d2aa15.jpg

lot's live out this way - run cattle and prospect for gold . Was a huge gold mining area ( big rush like the Yukon and California - great tale. ) There are still some active mines and the guy that runs the campground
http://mountmulligan.com/camping.html
found a 34 oz nugget a few years ago.

ScreenShot2013-02-04atFeb42013114005AM_zps013503bf.jpg

BTW - someone mentioned last year about forgetting how big Australia is....this will give you some real perspective
Aus is almost the size of the continental US but the shocker in this is Africa, Brazil and China all of suddent against tiny Europe and even the US corrected looks small.

sideb.jpg

This is a corrected map to show actual continental areas without the normal distortion we are used to.

Last edited:
Please post any wildlife u see

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

Wish i was back there, this cold is driving me nuts. Keep the pics coming mate. Id love to be able to do 6 months back and forward skipping winters, what kind of work do you do if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

Sell Mac computers - where ever there is an internet connection - I can work and staff shivers in the cold :D It's how I can ride a lot. With skype I can even chat with clients as well if needed but most is done by email. I do all the purchasing as well and again all online. We do a couple million a year from the house - by appointment so no set hours to cramp a good riding day. With a 14 hour and also a dateline shift I can work late at night here when it's business hours in Toronto.
Happy to post up the critters ( mostly birds ). It's a very rich environment especially the rain forest. Feel free to ask questions. Luckily on another forum there are few Aus natives that can answer my questions.

•••
This lovely female Cairns Birdwing posed for me outside the backdoor. It's the size of my hand ( larger actually )
ScreenShot2013-02-06atFeb6201323428PM_zps89211ed8.jpg

GF can often get them to sit contentedly on her hand.
Most of the year Cairns is heaven - with the trade winds keeping temps down to low 30s and never into single digits even int he coldest part of the year.
There is a band of 100 million ( yep you read that right ) year old rain forest in the coastal range which makes for the fantastic twisties.
Then up top is a tableland that you really might think you were in Ontario dairy country... winding roads and dairy cattle. The small secondary roads are well paved and fun.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373647PM_zps6247415e.jpg

I drove up the toughest of the 4 range roads around 7 am this morning. The Gillies and really enjoyed it - was tired at the end of the day and not so enjoyable going down on knobbies.
But this is the scenery at the top
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373818PM_zpsebf11167.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373844PM_zps61e9ff5a.jpg

I took the road above through the winding hills to a national park which is part of Lake Tinaroo ( there are pics of the area earlier in the thread from last year - the Cathedral Fig is a popular spot.
Even the dead trees are useful platforms for epiphytes which almost look like foliage.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373527PM_zps6b9fdddb.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373557PM_zps6b1be507.jpg

I moved into the rain forest away from the farms and the forest is very rich in flowers and birds.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201341825PM_zpse900691e.jpg

unknownredflower_zpsff147871.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373419PM_zps7f56b817.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373443PM_zps7d847597.jpg

This is the noisiest rain forest I've been in. Even with the helmet on the noise would sometimes drown out the sound of the KLR.

Caught a couple of gaudy rainbow lorikeets having a morning quickie ( right at the edge of the zoom ).
Rainbowlorikeetsmakingwhoopi_zps726ecd0e.jpg

rainbowlorikeets_zps8c9829a5.jpg

They can be a pest as they are really loud and can flock in the hundreds.

Stopped in the little vale shown above and just waited 5 minutes with the engine off.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201343055PM_zps07d613ff.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201342839PM_zps22accc6c.jpg

Lake Tinaroo is a huge artificial lake flooded in the 50s to provide power, recreation and steady source of water.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373054PM_zps75e87632.jpg

It's a mix of open savannah and rain forest. Many dead logs and shallow bays provide diverse recreation - world record barramundi ( think 40 KG, flesh like a pickerel and attitude like a muskie. ) that can even be had in shallow water.
This was the first day I took my fishing gear with me. Was not all that serious about fishing - just wanted to see if the collapsible rod was useful...it was "okay".

The savannah and forest mix is loaded with birds as is the lake itself. This is a masked lapwing - they are big and not in the least shy. Took this from the bike from 10' with the motor running....was completely focused on his food.

ploverofsomesort_zps70487287.jpg

These mudhens are gorgeous and don't deserve the dull name. Also not bothered by getting close.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201384629PM_zps8836732d.jpg

I just about ran off the road last year went sulphur crested cockatoo cruised about a meter off my helmet and yelled.......the are seriously loud and a crew of them even more so.

This is at long range - they can be skittish and certainly let you know when they are annoyed.

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373751PM_zpsf115eb2c.jpg

There are some pics of them further back from last year.

Huge birds - bigger wingspan than a raven.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373626PM_zps8a57a7a6.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373932PM_zpsf35c87ba.jpg

Gorgeous birds and really lets you know you're not in Kansas anymore
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201373144PM_zpsde007199.jpg

Still working on my waterbirds. Think the bigger guy is a darter ( think loon tho not so large ) and no idea on the ducks.
Ducksandadarterorsomesort_zps61c53b31.jpg

The darter was just landing so had a big bow wave.

Not sure- just looks like an egret wading - was at the edge of the zoom
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201384700PM_zps76be4635.jpg

Such a neat mixed environment with this sprawling fresh water lake, savannah and rain forest.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201384727PM_zps1c7e2f05.jpg

no idea what they are but loved the flying
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201384812PM_zps5147dbcb.jpg

Lovely day - tired and hot when I got home and had to fight the KLR down the Gillies - front tire is softish and a knobby...oh joy.

Caught this sunbird feeding it's baby inside the porch of the cafe as I was heading home.

ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201395135PM_zps1ae7c71e.jpg

The cafe owner was being cute with the batter.
ScreenShot2013-02-07atFeb7201395357PM_zpscb73cf69.jpg

BTW my clients follow this thread as well. They live vicariously too. :D

Last edited:
Thats awesome mate. I need to find a career that will allow me to do it. I can work construction through the summers here but hard to find "seasonal" work in Aus especially on/around the Gold Coast area. Id feel like a prick getting a job there and then leaving the employer high and dry 6 months later.

Out of curiosity have you been down the the SEQ area? Some awesome roads around Brisbane/Gold Coast and inland. Beach -> Hinterland -> Rainforest transitions are spectacular.

Funny story about those lorikeets, when I was a kid we had a pair land on our balcony once so decided to feed them, it was about lunch time. Next day 2 pairs show up. next day 4 pairs. each day earlier and earlier. Within a month there was about 100 of the little guys rocking up (the balcony wrapped around 3/4 of the house) at 6am waking up the entire street LOL

The cockatoo screaming in your ear while riding is something ive had too but I think the magpies attacking you while on the motorbike is the worst, just feel a big thump on the side of your helmet and no idea what happened til you turn around and see them coming in for a second swipe.

Great story - especially the multiplying lorikeets :clap:

I'd highly advise if you can to start your own business but it takes a good long while and there are lots of ups and downs. Try and stay out of retail - it's a killer.

Out of curiosity have you been down the the SEQ area? Some awesome roads around Brisbane/Gold Coast and inland. Beach -> Hinterland -> Rainforest transitions are spectacular.

Bought the ST1100 with the eye to doing some longer touring - that think loves the open highway.
GF thinks Brisbane is too far. I don't but..... :D

Last edited:
Not much riding that produced pics as weather has been iffie.
Did 300k on the ST1100 up to Herberton which is an ex mining town - hilly area so much fun.
Bike was lovely on the way there. Nice to cruise tho helmet is noisier than the Bell Mag8 I usually wear so tunes not quite as enjoyable.
Got flashed by a radar cruiser - I was accelerating a bit too hard but not much over the limit. Gave him a polite wave.

Good ride to Herberton through twisties and elevation changes. Had lunch.
Bike was parked in the sun and hopped on and noticed the clutch felt weird.
Could not find neutral properly.

Because the town is very hilly turning around is a bit of a trick - every surface is slanted. Pulled up a side road not realizing

a) how steep the damn thing was

b) how iffy the clutch was.

Tried to stop it to back around, stalled and over it went at zero speed. Once I realized how steep the hill was I would have had issues even if the clutch WAS working.
So no neutral, barely there clutch and the bike on it's tougher side to pick up ...oh joy.

Gave it a half hearted try just to see if it would budge but bad angle and not sure exactly where to set up and grip.
Nice older bloke shows up and with him on the back end we wrestle it on to the side stand.

The bike actually has tip bars that prevent ANY damage when it goes over. Nice feature and did as advertised. They look like little canard wings. You can just see them here below the engine port....gray wing.
st1100.jpg
maybe a little clearer here - the gray wing just above the date
Horn_0077.jpg

Nothing bent, nothing scratched...just a bruised ego but I knew there was a risk with this model as did Honda. They even had extra long bar ends to protect the levers and the shifter tucked away from harm....nicely done and not noticeable.

Pulled in the clutch just enough to get moving forward as I hit the starter - bit of trick as still on the hill, had to throttle up and brake at the same time to stop rolling back and of course bike was a bit spluttery with the carbs being sloshed about.

Very iffy shifting - thought I only had 4 gears as neutral was not to be found. A few steep paved hills and turns were slightly white knuckle but the clutch worked just enough to navigate them and get on the main road home but still had 150 KM with a range road to go down....:rolleyes:

As I got out of town the bike felt normal riding but of course was a nagging feeling about WTF is going on and is this thing going to lock up the rear wheel on me.

It was hot and I was riding without my jacket when it went over. Finally got a slightly downhill flat spot - put away the electronics and camera as rain was on it's way and got the jacket done up.

Easier get away this time and felt better with the jacket on in case the rear end went gnarly or I had another slow speed issue given I had to navigate a few hilly towns with round abouts.

Gradually got up confidence that nothing else was going to happen and got through the small downs okay if kind of tentative on slow turns without the clutch available in a meaningful way.

On the highway it was fine and was lovely - there was some light rain but then it cleared and I rode between two heavy bands of rain with a big tailwind - would have liked pics of that but the squall was moving very rapidly and I was in between so I just motored.

Settled more and the bike was fine at normal speeds and even tool it up to 110 for a bit

Ride down the Kuranda range road was quite nice and managed the round about entrances okay coming into Cairns. Then at light all of a sudden there was neutral and the clutch felt "better"......what the hell??!!!!!

Turns out this is a fairly common problem with the hydraulic clutch on the ST1100 when its hot...
This could have been me...same year and exactly the symptoms

I have a 1993 pan european with an intermittent clutch problem. I have seen a similar post, but I have already tried what was suggested.
The clutch lever goes soft on frequent gear changes in town and riding the clutch - open road riding no problems. It gets back as far as the grip, then ends up stalling and cannot get into neutral unless I turn the key off and back on - but lever will not keep the gear disengaged - put in gear jerk forward and stall. It had had all new fluid - twice now and a new goodridge hose - seal kit done on it as well. No fluid loss seen anywhere. Any ideas? When not having this issue the bike is great
Cheers
Gan

.it can be a number of things but mostly it's heat from the engine affecting bubbles in the lines. Bike is 20 years old and not a lot of mileage.
Most likely bad seals on one of the master cylinders for the clutch.
Taking it in Monday and also going to order an adjustable lever from the VFR800 which many ST riders retrofit.

At least the KLR is bulletproof so far.

I'm likely to get bar risers for the ST1100 as a bit more upright will be nice.
••••

Next day

Took a walk to bakery this morning between rain showers

A walk to the bakery between rain showers.....a varied mix of "wild" life. :D

A local curmudgeon trekking down the side walk. Quite friendly tho

ScreenShot2013-02-10atFeb10201380451AM_zpsab99551f.jpg

Pair of red eyed fig eaters getting dried off after a wet night = same tree held a bunch of rather be draggled locals.

ScreenShot2013-02-10atFeb10201380843AM_zps47226e29.jpg

of course with the rain - nice time to try the 300mm as a macro of sorts.

ScreenShot2013-02-10atFeb10201380521AM_zps66f1e9b6.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-10atFeb10201380557AM_zps7e8069bb.jpg

and a nicely lit ephiphyte in the back yard - bit too close for the long lens.

ScreenShot2013-02-10atFeb10201382049AM_zpse4a1f0ae.jpg

Last edited:
I got the bike push-started and let the engine run. However, any time I reved the engine the lights would dim significantly. When I got it home, I let it run some more and then turned it off, but I still had no power from the battery. I took the battery out, made sure it was properyly connected, but still nothing.

I know next to nothing about engines. Anyone who can tell me what the probably cause is?

Australia has so much exotic wildlife, an amazing place

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

ST1100 is in the mcycle hospital getting the clutch dealt with. $50 for the pickup and delivery to mechanic.

Rode up to the Daintree yesterday - put on about 300km on the KLR - fell asleep on the beach on the way home - luckily tide was on the way out and woke up mostly still in the shade.

I did not spend a lot of time shooting as this ride was to check out if it was okay for buddy here with a Burgman 650 to ride up to Cape Tribulation - should be okay - there is one bridge that IS worse than it looks
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315255PM_zpsacdcf0c0.jpg

but the rest should be fine. Lots of slow tight twists and dodgy pavement...fun speed bumps for the KLR :D which just ate them up.

Started early and the air was clear and cool.
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201314318PM_zpsd0367966.jpg

Same beach looking north where I was heading.
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201314805PM_zps4d96cb38.jpg

Of course this would gladden the heart of the SS crew - rather less eventful on a KLR with knobbies and a slightly under inflated front. :rolleyes:
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315019PM_zps5f154c57.jpg

rode through a couple of small rain showers and got soaked but that's the drill here - you just dry off. One reason you see a lot of squid riders....helmet, shirt, shorts and shoes here - get wet, dry off. I ride that way down to swimming - have to watch the sun tho - left a little patch of my wrist exposed on a longish ride and had a good burn on it.

Used the KLR as a clothes line while I had coffee and lunch at the only cafe there right on the beach
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315132PM_zps55a7f2d8.jpg

Tho at high tide there IS little beach.

It's one of the areas in the world the rain forest meets the sea.

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315323PM_zpscb13f88a.jpg

I asked the girl about crocs and she said oh sure - there will be lots out there cruising with the high tide.....lhmmmm
Gave this sign a bit more attention after that -
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315354PM_zpsd9c46838.jpg

she said
the creek just behind her place was a good place to see them

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201315438PM_zps0cede4f7.jpg

how big??
Oh there's a couple of 3 and 4 meter ones!!!!!

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201323006PM_zpsf47b8423.jpg

So next ride up I'll aim to be there at low tide and I might take one of the wildlife cruises as well.

http://www.crocodileadventures.com

I talked to the girl on the ferry taking my ticket and she said they often see crocs and right where the ferry lands.
This little cutie might be lunch for a couple big salties that weigh about the same.
ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201314956PM_zps5847d287.jpg

Stopped at my fav ice cream spot on the way back - she grows the oddest trees and bushes there - each is labelled and you can only get the particular flavour mix she chooses. Nice life. Several small tour buses in twice a day.

Wattleseed is delic

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201323947PM_zps10b42985.jpg

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201323930PM_zps53b8fc4c.jpg

There is no power grid north of the Daintree and it was and is a hot spot for the hippies and back to the earth types.

Last edited:
Gonna stick to my KLR650 to go cross country.....grrrrrrr.

So we drive up to Cooktown - where Captain Cook of world explorer fame careened his boat on the sand bar to fix the hole the Great Barrier Reef punched in it.
The town is now small = 2,000 people but has an interesting history especially during the gold rush days where the dangers not only included the weather, crocs, snakes and no water, but cannibals too. Aboriginals in the area favoured the chinamen tho over stringy whites...

Our motel - River of Gold - was named to recall the boom times and the book by the same name is a terrific and unreal read for anyone interested in this part of tropical Australia.

Cooktown is a bit further north into the tropics - 300 km - it's very dry for this time of year which is normally into the wet season. Got close and stopped for a decent sandwich at a roadhouse. Got out and no a/c. Likely a belt - not a big deal but annoying in the 31 degree weather.

Found our motel - very tropical look and feel, swam a bit and got a nice sunset.

ScreenShot2013-02-15atFeb15201383807PM_zpsfb0773fe.jpg

Riverofgoldmotel_zps5b99a72e.jpg

Good sleep and figure we will trek around a bit. Hmmm lots closed...of course it's the wet season.:rolleyes:

So we start out earlyish the next morning - decent coffee and light food. Jude got hilariously messy with a chocolate muffin in the heat. Threatens to make me walk back to Cairns if I so much as touch the camera. :D

Had to be satisfied with a cute colourful sun lizard scampering around under our feet.
Skink-sunlizard_zps3379a10b.jpg

So coffeed up I ( note not we ) decide that instead of going back and getting the ute we'd walk over the hill to the Botanical Garden via a trail.

Back to Captain Cook for a moment.
Not wanting to do a repeat of a holed ship he climbs a local hill named Grassy Hill right on the point of the river and is able to plot his way through the reef and the rest is history.
We are at sea level....Grassy Hill tops out at 500'

Local tourist map shows the track over to the Botanical gardens cutting off before the top and on to a "walking track" to Cherry Tree Bay and then a walk along the water to the Gardens Proper ( Jude being botanist and me a geek and bird watcher we love Botanical Gardens. )
First lesson .....don't believe tourist maps.
Map sez - 800m to the walking track from our spot along the waterfront.
Map does not say 100m vertical climb - think 35 story building on stairs. Damn those switch backs were steep - nice view tho.

hikeupCooktownlookout_zps527974ba.jpg

we huffed and puffed ...fortunately Jude bought a small water at breakfast.

Lesson 2 - bring enough water
Lesson 3 - check the weather
Lesson 4 - look at topographical map.

Unfortunately we had not yet got past lesson 1. So we puff and pant the 100 meter vertical in 800 meter road and get to the track....nice water fountain at the start - should have told us something....and hey it's going downhill. :cheers:

Now the pictures on the hike with come later as I need the bandwidth and there were some cool plants typical weird Aussie stuff.

Mostly downhill but it's hot and it's a very tough track....of course we are losing the same vertical height in a KM or so. It is also rough going between rocks and tree roots - and no way this shows the steepness. But there are very cool plants along the way. It IS rough terrain tho.

Roughtgoing_zps4ac5a22e.jpg

It's 33 - Jude has sandals on - we're carrying too much camera gear etc and we're down to a few sips of water. I'm pretty beat at this point but hey we hit the beach - the wind is cool

CherryTreeBay-_zps7f13d3ad.jpg

oops.....remember Rule One.....there is indeed a track to Botanical Gardens from the beach...unfortunately it goes back up the hill 1.4 KM. Same 35 story climb but we don't know that yet...not on the map.

Rule 1 through 4 come crashing home.

Few sips of water left - too much gear - climbs in both directions....
So decision made - fitter Jude treks to the Botanical Gardens without the gear and gets water and meets me on the beach and we revive and carry the gear on. Good plan right.....
she gives me strict instructions -
"Don't wander off - stay here."
So I settle under a tree - cool off in the tidal pools ( there are crocs and killer jelly fish in the ocean so it's off limits )
Chill in the shade a bit with my feet up and get my second wind.

Rule 5 - stay put.

Welllllll I knew that but hey can't let my partner do all the work and it IS getting on in day and the mozzies are fierce anywhere around dusk. It's only 1.4 KM to the gardens - surely I can meet her half way.
Try the cell service....hmmm wrong side of the hill.

Remember that topography map??.....that we didn't have. So I slug up the first steep track out of the beach and realize I really don't want my partner to have to reclimb this so I at least should hit the crest. I'm huffing an puffing and taking breaks but have like about 5 small sips of water left and a tiny bottle of Baileys.
Have camera gear and partners purse with the books and other assorted goodies that get heavier and heavier.

No sign of the return trip either....and it's bloody hot at 33 and humid under the canopy - sea breeze has wandered off. A hundred meters vertical over .7 KM this time to the crest - and rough.
Getting worried about me, getting worried where partner is - getting on to mid afternoon and this IS the tropics....no twilight at all and of course it's the wet season and no one is out enjoying the natural environment.

I finally hit the crest and take a serious rest - sip a bit more water realize at this point partner is not likely coming back this way.....do recall Rule 5.
Couple sips of Bailey's left, about half the water ( think 1/4 of a small draft ) and another 700 meters of trail left. Hotter out too and going downhill with the gear is not a whole lot easier than the uphill stretch...no cell coverage.

Now I'm in it....Jude obviously figured something else out, I'm not where she left me and no way I wanted her to have to do this trek between Cherrytree Bay and the Gardens to meet me.

Suck it up and trudge along til I see some kids coming towards me
"How far to the end" .
...Not far....:rolleyes:
Not far to a teen and not far to me are world's apart.
"How about you refill my water for $5"
"Okay sure..."
Figured I'd rest and get an idea of how far away civilization was.
Decent length of time passed to the point I was thinking no $5 and no water bottle but I did have a good rest.
Finally girl and friends show up with much needed water and they bounce down the trail toward the bay. Yeah the last bit to the Garden's was uphill again.
Suck the water down and stump my way up to the gate....hmmm...not looking like any civilization yet ( I still don't know where she filled the water ).
Stagger through the park and hit a house on the road back to town.
Hail the house, mobbed by the dog.
"Got a phone?"
"Nope"
"Can you drive me back to the motel..."
"I would but I'm too drunk."..... sigh....just my luck. Saturday is siesta and beer time.

Wander next door - luckily downhill......repeat the hail.
Finally, phone and water and a chair.
Call the motel, motel calls Jude.....meanwhile back at the waterfront.

ScreenShot2013-02-16atFeb16201373806PM_zpsaefaa638.jpg

She'd rounded up the calvary as be damned if she was going to trek back and didn't think I'd make it ( with good reason for both views ).

Rule 5...cops on the hunt .....and I'm not there :banghead:

Fortunately a relay from Cairns to the boat pulled them back ( it was just around the point ) and the pic shows them pulling it out of the water just as we arrived after Jude fetched me.

Got the usual good natured wagging finger from all about staying put and sympathies from the couple of cops that had done that trek and knew how rough and steep it was.
Hopefully no bill from the cops ( the next level was a $15,000 helicopter search ) and I'm sure lots of jokes about dumb Canucks in the bush....mostly well deserved.

Oh yeah.....Rule 6 ....red heads should pack sunburn lotion...have a rather fried sweetie next to me. And THAT was my day. Botanical pics tomorrow.
I DID pack liniment.

Crazy Canucks :eek: On a serious note though, good to hear it all ended well. Being in the tropics with no water can end very badly, heat stroke doesnt take very long to kick in.

I dont think Ive ever heard of anyone getting the search bill for a rescue unless it was a hoax.

Yeah- it was just one of those cumulative set of errors.
I must admit I was surprised at how weak the heat leaves you.
I had read about some army experiments that showed it was heat not lactic acid that that saps endurance.
I felt alright, I was just hydrated enough but each time the heat built up I just had to stop and try and cool down as best I could....then go a bit further.

Normally we would carry at least 2-3 litres each in back packs, wear the correct shoes and the correct backpacks for the gear leaving hands free.
But the Botanical Gardens moniker fooled us, - hey can't be too bad.....wrong...the map was stupidly shoddy and we did not check plus the distances were seemingly very short. It was the vertical bit plus no water that nearly did us in.
I always carry water on the KLR - 2 x 1.5 litres in the top case.

Aus has had a number of needless rescues and they do have the option to bill. Same with most SAR these days ( skiers in Canada that go off the registered trails ).
The cops were having fun tho - play with their toys and get overtime for Saturday. Not bad.

Back
Top Bottom