Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

March 1 run about 200k mixed road and dirt. Was still a little sore from Monday's run but warmed up to riding real quick despite the rain.

First leg was a revisit to that sweet Barron River crossing....it was pissing down rain big time ( the knobbies like it ) and I was followed by a cruiser the winding 10k to the river crossing....

oops :confused:
Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201272905AM.jpg

what was a nice causeway and almost empty river last week
MyolaRoadBarronRiverbridge.jpg

MyolaRoadBarronRiverupstream.jpg

now under a 1/2 meter of racing water....and I mean racing...

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201272830AM.jpg

Turned around and trekked back with some speed and splashing - the rough pavement surface was great with the knobbies and a couple of creeks were a few inches over the road....if it's gonna be wet might as well have fun. :happy10:

Decided to check out the Clohesy River crossing that was the start of Monday's trek - definitely higher and lots of mud - that run we took would not likely be possible today. We were lucky given the wet season so far hasn't been. Left that for another day.

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201273022AM.jpg

Finally the sun came out and took a break to dry out - can't ever recall being that wet in years. Had to pour out the boots. Socks on the chair, boots and jacket in the sun - was a welcome break.
Scone and coffee at Titchum Coffee
Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201273056AM.jpg

Tiny little coffee plantation just near Davie's Creek Road. Coffee, bananas, tea, pineapples, mangoes ( yum - in season ) all industrial scale in the area plus massive sugar cane.
Also the only tropical dairy industry in the world....parts look just like S Ontario until you notice the palm trees ;) Yogurt is sure good with all the various local fruits to put in.

First run on the knobbies on dirt and felt very good - much better directional tho was not paying attention and lost the front end on a downhill to a creek - just careless and easy recovery but reminded me to stop gawking on downhills.
This photo is more savannah - the Davies Creek Road runs in and out of savannah and rain forest - much fun and changing conditions and foliage. Some of the gravel is very round and small like beebees under your tire - that's what happened above. Goes from red mud, to rocky to forest loam and standard gravel road all in a few k.

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201274018AM.jpg

The creek itself is lovely and many camp sites along it
Was running harder due to the rain

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201273913AM.jpg

Stopped for a bit and baked in the sun and got everything totally dry ( even better than home in Cairns which is more humid ) Felt good to bake a bit...GF rolls eyes at Canadian penchant for being in the sun.

Rolled back to Kuranda after 160k run and finally got a photo of this stark warning as you come into 13k of wild twisties.

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201274152AM.jpg

If you look you'll see how bent those bars on the big Yammie are.....massive forces...

Screenshot2012-03-02atMar2201274218AM.jpg

The KLR was delightful as the new tire was now broken in and very solid - plus the road was dry completely for once. Nice wind up to the day. Big grin on my face as I was getting skittish about the front end especially downhill.

Last edited:
Really enjoying this thread. If you are ever wondering if you have readers, you've got one for sure. Look forward to the next post!

Thanks - figured it might be informative and who knows some riders may end up coming down. I know my regular riding partner is considering it. There is so much to do even beyond the riding aspect.

Driving on the opposite side has not been too problematic but do have to think about it from time to time.

Got the boots sorted today - dealer took the MX boots back and I got a set of Dri-riders I could shift with and he gave me the same deal $80 savings.....I'll be going back.
driridernordic2waterprooftouringboots.jpg

With the rain here having fully waterproof riding boots is useful and these have some tread for walking....between those and knee/lower leg armour - should be fine. These would be a fine boot for adventure riders over the smooth soled touring boot.
Aussie made - not sure if available in the US but I'm sure there are others.

•••

Learned I could lift the KLR off the ground myself ..:binky:
Pulled around into my little parking spot under the bush and guess the front tire was poised on rock - as I stepped off it rolled forward off the side stand which likely was not fully down -nailed my ankle again - wriggled out and put the "lift with your back" idea into practice ......after a certain amount of swearing found the rear passenger handles and the junction of the Barkbusters give nice handholders.
Was something I wondered if I could do out in the boonies - now I know.
silverlining n'all.

Just a ride into town today so nothing new beyond a slightly sore ankle but hope for a longer rider to Tinaroo tomorrow.

••••
Early next morning - came out to fine the poor KLR on it's side again - rained overnight and in my disgust at tipping over forgot the board under the kickstand......easier lift the second time around and I found out what happened last night - my riding pants catch on the kickstand spring and pull it back if I'm not careful.

So got going and could not shift up properly - pulled over and pried the shift lever out a bit and all was good.

220 km - about 50 on forest track going over to Tinaroo dam the back way.

Took it easy - very tourist paced.

No problem navigating and then when I exited the track onto the Danbullah Forest Road a ranger turned up just then and gave me directions to the dam- had I turned the other way I would have had another 35 km of forest road which would have been fine but really wanted a break and coffee which I got.

Figured I'd had enough scrambling for the day - hips were a tad sore from straddling the tank all week so lolligagged home slow and easy down the Gillies

This was a partial repeat of our Monday ride but in the opposite direction and I found the downed tree - pics of that and other pointed when I get to the high speed cafe.
Was riding slow and easy and sightseeing - the only issue on parts of that track was riding into the rising sun made it hard to see the ruts etc and always have to pay attention as parts of it are very high up clinging to a cliff and very severe drops with boulders for the rider not paying attention.
Because it's a long ride on a forest track found it a bit tiring by the end having to concentrate.
New front tire was a treat tho.....went where pointed.

No rain cept for some almost not there sprinkles - so dry ride for once

Last edited:
Could not get over to the high speed place today and riding tomorrow but....

I mean really - how nice it this at 8 am on the Tinaroo northern track. :D

Screenshot2012-03-04atMar42012124652PM.jpg

what I'm here for.

Heading up to Mount Mulligan early tomorrow and explore a little. Apparently there is quite the history around this now abandoned mining town...local rider says it's gorgeous in the morning.

Mount Mulligan - Culture and History
November 25, 2008

The mountain was discovered by James Venture Mulligan (see Mount Molloy for biographical details) who explored and named the area in 1874. At the time there was little interest in the area as all attention was focused on the rich gold deposits on the Palmer River.

In 1910 coalmining started at Mount Mulligan. A new mining town was built and in 1914 a branch line from Dimbulah was established. The town prospered until 19 September 1921 when an underground explosion killed 75 miners. At the time this accounted for every miner working in the mine. They are all buried in the local cemetery. It was one of Australia's worst mining disasters and is still the worst to have occurred in Queensland.

The mine was closed down but the following year it was reopened and in 1923 the Queensland government acquired it from the operators. It functioned until 1957 although after the war it was heavily subsidised. The mine's final demise occurred with the completion of the Tully Falls Hydro-Electricity Scheme. Soon after the town was sold and most of the buildings were removed.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...-and-history-20081125-6h2m.html#ixzz1o7fhzEEK
so it's a ghost town tho my riding contact says there is one caretaker there....this will be the farthest west i'm been and well away from my usual rain forest haunts.

Nother day this week want to go over to the other end and look around the Mitchell River area which has a big gold mining history.

200km - half on dirt to get HERE!!!!

Screenshot2012-03-05atMar5201264650PM.jpg

and had to turn back .....too deep, too fast, at the Mitchell.

and we were hungry...

Raced some nasty looking clouds back - looked at the radar when I got home and the region got hit a bit after we exited.
My dirt road skills improve apace but might get that 50/50 sooner than later.

Gorgeous chilly morning - fog on the way up and actually chilly when we hit Dimbulah. Skybury was not open yet :(

Proprietor at Mulligan Station is a hoot - chunky local gold nugget around his neck and tales of finding a 56 oz one morning. Garrulous Irishman full of tales.

Will go back for sure to there - fantastic setting with the rock scarp and a lovely little oasis.

Some more pics soon - 420 or so total km about 200 off pavement tho nothing technical - some slippy spots for my roadish rear ( would have been a horror had that storm come earlier)

The small river crossing was fun - not too challenging and few streams and mudholes to splash through.

Teeth still rattling on some long stretches of washboard but the road was pretty good all around - only saw two vehicles.

Hot and dry in the afternoon - was sucking up water big time. Almost wanted the rain on the way home but only got the edge.
Good fun. Long day - left home at 6.30 am, got back 6ish pm.
Good riding partner put up with my slowish pace tho we were doing 60-80 on the way home.

He likes to stop and take pics too

I'll fill this in later - supper beckons - it makes sense to the local riders - won't to you.

Better sense of the river...
[video=youtube;XqUIFybSkVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqUIFybSkVU&feature=g-upl&context=G2c8d5e6AUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

Jez almost lost his balance just after this was taken - he said the bottom was slippery.

Screenshot2012-03-05atMar5201281207PM.jpg

I AM sore!!! - a two Celebrex night for sure and I"m still dry mouth 5 litres later.

kids eh ;)

Sad tale around Mount Mulligan tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mulligan_mine_disaster

THIS however is worth the trip and a camp out

http://mountmulligan.com/

Jude and I are going to try for a couple days up there. Stars will be glorious and perhaps we'll stumble on a nugget or two.

Last edited:
This is how close we got before having to turn around....perhaps 20km from Mount Carbine and a late lunch.

MtMulligan-1.jpg

instead raced the rain back 100 km of dirt road and a VERY late lunch. 3 litres of water and a handful of trail mix. It was hot and I AM sunburned.

Last post here has the pics from the Kezza my riding partner on this jaunt

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757409&page=8

I really wish I had stopped to take some shots of the looming storm as we looked left we had nice fluffy white clouds and the sun shining and look right and the mouth of Mordor loomed....especially when we turned right to go through Mareeba about 1/2 way home on the pavement portion we were heading directly into a black wall.
Fortunately the road turned again towards home and once more it lurked over our shoulder but except for a bit just outside Dimbulah ( where the dirt portion begins ) we did not get wet.
Bike could have used it tho. Find a pressure washer tomorrow I guess. Should get my new boots too.

Not too stiff and sore - getting used to getting pounded I guess....more pics tomorrow when I get to the high speed place.

I'd have tried that river...but then again, I'm retarded when it comes to challenges**... :D

I keep forgetting how big Oz really is...I'm reading all your stories and thinking "Man, Mac must be clear across that little island by now...", but that last map really put it perspective. Heh.

** Perhaps used the bike as support, left it running and in gear, and blip the throttle in intervals in order to propel both the bike and I forward - however, given you said it was quite slippery, for sure I'd have ended up over those first mini rapids.

You'd have drowned :(

The guy I was with is an off road tour guide by profession ( hence standing in the rapid ) and he said he would not take a truck that let alone a mcycle at that speed and height. He has moved to Cairns from Darwin work doing off road tours and this was his first ride in the area.
Normally the Mitchell is lower and yes each rider walks the bike across with help. That's the norm and had it been lower or not as fast we would have done that. We did NOT relish 100km back the same way with rain on the horizon ( which we beat by a very few minutes - it started just as we were grabbing a late lunch )

Oh did I mention the crocs :D

More soon - Oz is close to the same landmass as the continental US - with 8% of the population - big and very very empty.

Okay here's some pics a bit of narrative. Left early and there was fog on the way up the twisty Kuranda Range Road - 13 km of fun. Met up at local stop - still foggy - note the $1.50 a litre price.

FoggystartatKoah.jpg

Hoping for coffee but had to settle for iced as the good spots were not open yet.
Breezed through Mareeba and hit the tiny town of Dimbullah where we finally got off the pavement

Goldminesstillactive.jpg

Gold mines are active and gold is to be found just lying there if you know what it looks like and where to look

First run was towards the end of that scarp...what a great day

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104635AM-1.jpg

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104735AM.jpg

Kez motion me off the track and this showed up
Jezpond-hefoundit.jpg

He was riding faster than me so had time to poke around. This is aboriginal land and there was a small holding just across the other side
Oasis.jpg

Then we hit a bit of Leprechaun Land in the most unlikely spot

Mulliganstationheaven.jpg

Muliiganstation.jpg

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104820AM.jpg

The lucky Irishman on the left isn't named Mulligan but he sure has a sweet place

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104836AM.jpg

Last edited:
Still reasonably moist - this was lovely further along

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104601AM-1.jpg

Then a dry run
some 50km later we hit the end of the long scarp
Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104900AM.jpg

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105432AM.jpg

until we hit the smaller of the rivers we needed to cross

Looked okay but there was a channel

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105044AM.jpg

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105005AM.jpg

Some sizeable rocks want to redirect our front ends downstream....both got across fine and found it easier on the way back.

Glad it was not in flood

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012104950AM.jpg

Then the problem - the Mitchell was high :(

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105301AM.jpg

Kez not one to give up easily decided to test the water so to speak - yes that is a long way across and as the video above shows - it was movin'

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105411AM.jpg

The chicken dancer was Jez trying to regain his balance.
Screenshot2012-03-05atMar5201264650PM.jpg

so reluctantly turned for home.
Australian rider parks in the shade
Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105546AM.jpg

Canadian rider parks in the sun ......duh - it was well into the 30s - 10 hours of riding and 350 km - hot and beat - not the brightest thing to do. Wandered over to what small shade was around and slugged a litre of water.

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105546AM.jpg

stopped for a quick bite in Dimbulah - Aussie meat pie and then scooted home racing the doom to our right which was black black clouds.

Glad to see home as we headed down the Kuranda Range again

Screenshot2012-03-07atMar72012105601AM.jpg

Oddly one my GFs co-workers passed up her way into work in the early morning then some 12 hours later on the way home on the ride down the twisty. Her husband was jealous of our being able to get out for that length of time on a weekday......:D

It was a very long day but a good ride and all home safe.

Last edited:
wet season cometh :(

Screenshot2012-03-09atMar9201242336PM.jpg

anyone got amphibious mcycle

Now I really want to see the other side of the Mitchell. :D

Looks like you've had a blast all winter long down in Oz, good for you!. Thinking of going out on Sunday for the season's inaugural ride here. See you soon!

That Rokon is a cool toy.!!! Been lazy the last few rainy days - staying in and reading.
Still plotting a ride to the otherwise of our water barrier but for now sticking to pavement given the amount of rain.

5 weeks or so and I'll haul the Burgman out back home - hopefully it will be warmer than last years arrival back.
See ya then FB et al

5 weeks or so and I'll haul the Burgman out back home - hopefully it will be warmer than last years arrival back. See ya then FB et al

It's about 16C and sunny today, with a similar forecast into next week, so it should be perfect by the time you return. The roads are a bit sandy here and there, but largely dry.

Definitely envious of the roads/trails in the land of Oz. Nothing here but straight lines, speed traps and subdivisions everywhere you go now.

Oh I think you have not explored the area enough - there's lots of decent roads in the Escarpment area west of Mississauga
and up towards Georgian Bay area. Nothing like the Gillies but still much fun.
Just ask Fearless Bob.
Been rained out for the last week :( and have to renew registration today but should be riding again rain or shine tomorrow.
Dri-Rider boots should be in as well today or tomorrow dealer says.
Looks like I will need them

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/-16.991164,145.422380

Thanks for heads up on the weather - hope it holds. Rode into Dec last year so long season for sure.

Last edited:
Oh I think you have not explored the area enough - there's lots of decent roads in the Escarpment area west of Mississauga
Just ask Fearless Bob..

It's true, my earlier bikes didn't really allow for much range, comfort-wise, so I needed to stick fairly close to home base. Did a 6-hour loop on Sunday without much trouble, so I'll be branching out this season for sure. Now, back to the scheduled program.

Just ask Fearless Bob.

Yup, MacDoc knows all the backroads around here, plenty of twisties to be had within an hour's radius, and even more if you venture a little farther... :D

Yeah that night ride after Algonquin was a hoot - some of my best twisties rides have been at night particularly after midnight - just have an eye out for deer.
If you look at the top of this forum there are maps of good roads.

As to regular program
Screenshot2012-03-13atMar13201280220AM.jpg

regular program has been thoroughly rained out :( so it will be highway only for the forseeable while )
Will get out and take some pics of the rivers tho :D

Got out, got wet - still up in Kuranda with new Mifi modem - that's a liberating device.
Gonna get wetter going home tho - not a lot of rain up here so the Barron River is down - go figure - parked on the bridge.
But it's deluging again down the mountain.
So warm in the rain that I'm really rethinking even bothering with a stuffy rain suit.

Last edited:
Urk - $300 later.
Found out North American certified helmets not legal here and $160 fine. Now likely they'd let me off first time but hell I;m here long enough.

Picked up the boots that I had ordered - feel good - nice to have some better ankle support and a proper shifting pad on the toe. Might be a tad slippy in the woods but very good on pavement and comfortable plus 100% water proof.

31027+BLK.jpg

Tried the Dririder rain jacket on and put that on the pile - figured if it saved one piece of expensive gear I carry in my shirt pockets was worth it. Sauna time when inside and done up but can ride with it open and the wind flows through the mesh jacket I wear.

Grabbed a Tour Tech convertible to get legal and keep GF happy.
Had not tried a convertible and it's easy enough to flip up. Heavy but also pretty quiet...

TourTech-Gloss-Black.jpg

Full flip up works easily with gloves - shield not so easy with gloves. Well designed for internal electronics.

pic1.jpg

The Tour-Tech fl ip-up helmet combines the advantages of an open-face lid with the protection of a full-face design.
Constructed with a polycarbonate shell, it has a single-action dual-locking chinbar, seven air vents, a removable and washable
Coolmax interior lining, an anti-scratch clear visor that requires no tools for removal, and space in the cheekpad for an intercom/phone headset.

Easy to get on and off like an open face and I can chat with people around town. Might bring it home - not sure yet.

Ride to the other end of the Mitchell ride tomorrow and Lake Mitchell - did not rain today tho bit dark now. Stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom